• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need to offload screens of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — share your own and discuss the ART!

Neiteio

I was floored in 2014, and I'm floored again today: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one good-looking game.

There's just something irresistible about its Pixar-esque art direction and attention to detail. The world-building here is among the best in the biz. And while it's difficult to capture the full glory of a 1080p/60fps game in screens, I think we can still admire the imagination and artistry on display.

I'd like to share some of the screens I've taken, all in docked mode (so native 1080p downsampled to 720p) using the Capture Button. Feel free to share your own! Also, feel free to check out my Zelda BOTW screens posted throughout my thread on the Gerudo region. Let's share and discuss the world-building of MK8!

2017050103372800-1685u5sai.jpg

The above screenshots of Inkling Girl at Baby Park, riding the standard kart with monster tires in anti-gravity mode, makes me dream of Universal's upcoming Super Nintendo World. Just looking at an amusement park in the Mushroom Kingdom makes me smile!

Like every remade course in the game, they took a backdrop that was rather empty in the original (Mario Kart Double Dash, on GameCube) and stuffed it the point of bursting with world-building detail. There's a rollercoaster carrying Toads, a swinging ship, an egg-cup ride, a ferris wheel, a gift shop, a haunted house, a castle, etc. Not to mention other touches like the the gears and wind-up keys on the pillars, the p-wings lining the roof, the striped Mario World-style hills in the background, and the hot air balloons meandering across the sky. Another nice touch: The way the railings flash lights during the seventh and final lap, as seen in the topmost screenshot.

Baby Park is the simplest track layout in the game — a humble oval, short in length, carefully calculated for max chaos — yet they rendered the surrounding landscape dense with detail for us Mario fan to pick apart.

2017050323544900-1685efshq.jpg

I wish this bike (The Duke) was available in red — with the monster tires equipped, it'd look similar to Kaneda's bike in AKIRA! These shots are taken from Wario's Gold Mine — another remade course, originally from Mario Kart Wii — set during a spectacular sunset that lights up the rickety scaffoldings in what feels like the Gemini at Cedar Point. But the focus of my screens here is on Peach's elegant form, gliding around corners and tricking off her bike, as she hurtles deep into the mines. There's a great sense of scale, with the wooden crossbeams stretching infinitely in all directions.

I'd like to nominate Wario's Gold Mine for a rollercoaster ride at Super Nintendo World. Although I'm intrigued by the Donkey Kong mine-cart ride we already know we're getting. Hey, speaking of Donkey Kong...

2017050500252300-16853njze.jpg

2017050500271800-1685ntk3o.jpg

2017050500355900-1685bsjj4.jpg

DK Jungle is another spectacular example of a remake done right. This one is originally from Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS. I know I'm focusing a lot on the retro courses at the moment, but only because I'm so impressed by how fleshed out they've become.

Everything about DK Jungle is pleasing to the eye: The lush foliage, the sun-dappled floor, the leafy canopies, the bright red flowers, the waterfalls with their rainbows, the fallen columns and shining golden temple. Other touches like the tikis and frogs and screaming pillars add a lot of personality to the place. You also have DK’s iconic treehouse, the barrels and vines, and the tiki blimp flying off with the banana horde.

It makes me long for a new 3D Donkey Kong — a DK64-II, if you would, but with less bloat and more balance than the N64 original. It would be a wonderful world to explore in greater detail, as evident from its sumptuous depiction in MK8.

Really, each course is marvelous. Each is its own world with its own distinct feel and flavor — and I’d love to hear which worlds you like best, and why. Which details really resonated with you and made you feel happy and at home in that place? What details captured your imagination and made you want to explore the world more in-depth?

As a refresher, here are the course intros for all 48 race courses in the game. (The eight battle maps are NOT included.) This was trickier to capture than it looks — I had to take many shots to frame the elements I wanted most clearly (curse those panning shots!). I hope someone likes having these. :-D

And yeah, I know: There are four seasons for Animal Crossing, and only autumn is pictured above. I didn’t take pics of the intros for spring and summer, but I did take winter. It’s a Christmas wonderland so magical that it really deserves its own highlight:

2017050203165900-1685iyjok.jpg

I always associate Mario Kart with Christmas. Maybe it’s the “colorful darkness” I associate with Christmas trees, embodied in courses like Rainbow Road… or maybe it’s the fact I was fortunate to have a blessed childhood, with an N64 and MK64 waiting for me as a gift under the tree. Booting up MK64 on Christmas morning of ’97 and seeing the golden NINTENDO logo spin around onscreen remains one of my fondest childhood memories.

But it’s not simply nostalgia at work here. Winter in Animal Crossing is legitimately gorgeous. You have the gentle snowfall, the cold dark landscape lit up with warm lanterns and twinkling Christmas lights, the aurora borealis shimmering in the sky, the tree sparkling with lights, etc. I always smile when I find myself racing on the winter version of this track…

...and boy, am I STOKED for the next mainline Animal Crossing to arrive on Switch. Here’s hoping they show it at E3!

Well, I think that will suffice for now. Please share your own screens, and take about the world-building details that you really enjoy. :)

Saw the title of the thread, went in, thought "This looks like a Neiteio thread" and then looked at the topic creator and lo and behold I was right

Neiteio

Shame the image quality of Switch screenshots couldn't be better. Still, I'm prettty compelled to share this one I took.
It looks like you took this in handheld mode. The image quality is better when you take the screenshots in docked mode, since then it's taking a native 1080p image and downsampling it to 720p, which naturally smooths the edges, etc.

I do like that screen, though! Looks like you unlocked a new character: Black Gold Wario. ;-)

They went all out with Mario Kart 8. Previous games looked passable which was understandable given they run at 60fps but MK8 is on another level. It doesn't just look good, it's visually one of the best looking video games even after a handful of years.

I adore Ribbon Road's aesthetic.

That first shot of Wario's Gold Mine is STUNNING. The angle's what sells it.

I was surprised at how amazing MK8 looked considering how the previous console efforts (barring SMK) mainly just looked "okay".

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
MK8D is a gorgeous looking game, one of the best ever actually.

MK8D is a huge step up from MK8 too. The higher resolution makes everything look more detailed. Better shaders really make the artstyle pop plus I dont know if its the higher resolution or AA but the jaggies that bothered me on WiiU are gone as well.

BTW Neiteio have you played Persona 5 yet?

MK8D is a huge step up from MK8 too. The higher resolution makes everything look more detailed. Better shaders really make the artstyle pop plus I dont know if its the higher resolution or AA but the jaggies that bothered me on WiiU are gone as well.

Lack of jaggies is the major improvement for sure. It wasn't so bad in motion but when it would freeze frame on your character at the end of a race it would look pretty bad, looks great now.

Neiteio

BTW, don't know if anyone noticed, but in one of my DK Jungle shots (the third non-quoted one), I managed to time it so the frog was jumping over me as I passed below.

Rather proud of that one, lol. I loved those balloon frogs in DKCR.

RE: Persona 5, no, I haven't played it yet. My good friend The Xtortionist has been urging me to try it, though. I adored Catherine back on the PS3 (a surprisingly heartfelt game — even if certain elements were a bit tone-deaf), so I am intrigued by Persona 5. (Not to sidetrack my own thread, lol.)

Never really noticed the lush backdrop of Big Blue. It takes some liberties from the source material, but it sure is pretty. Between that and Cheep Cheep Beach (and Necluda!) Nintendo creates some of the most inviting tropical environments around.

Also SNES Rainbow Road is one of the cleanest, prettiest things I've seen on my TV like ever.

RE: Persona 5, no, I haven't played it yet. My good friend The Xtortionist has been urging me to try it, though. I adored Catherine back on the PS3 (a surprisingly heartfelt game — even if certain elements were a bit tone-deaf), so I am intrigued by Persona 5. (Not to sidetrack my own thread, lol.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

Ribbon Road's redesign will go down as one of my all time favorite tracks. I'm a gigantic Toy Story fan and it's like a snapshot of that universe. Really well done, especially considering the original track.

Neiteio

Never really noticed the lush backdrop of Big Blue. It takes some liberties from the source material, but it sure is pretty. Between that and Cheep Cheep Beach (and Necluda!) Nintendo creates some of the most inviting tropical environments around.

Also SNES Rainbow Road is one of the cleanest, prettiest things I've seen on my TV like ever.
The colors on SNES Rainbow Road are practically mind-melting in motion. I cannot get over how gorgeous that course is. Really need some high-quality gifs to do it justice, though — it's the overall effect of all those colors flashing by in the darkness that really sells it. :)

And I wholeheartedly agreed on Nintendo nailing tropical environments, between this and Zelda. If I ever need a virtual vacation, these games and Uncharted 4 are my tickets to warm coastal waters and lush greenery. :)

The Xtortionist said:
Haha, I know you'll appreciate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOKEFoDXVDw

I know if I play Persona 5 I'll end up taking a billion screenshots. At some point my PS4 Pro's hard drive (or abload.de's servers) will run out of room!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

You need to get to it asap man. Not to get even more sidetracked but you'll love it for sure.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn, that's a looooooooooot of screenshots. But yeah, the game does look pretty amazing. Nintendo making their puny hardware punch way above its weight. Hope Mario Odyssey ends up looking as great.

Neiteio

^^^ The new Rainbow Road is really underrated. I think people didn't give it enough love because they were expecting something along the lines of Super Mario Galaxy — something more organic, with Iblard-ian planetoids whirling about — but the one we got with MK8's "heightened reality" is really nice, gliding along the rainbow-hued solar panels of a sprawling spacestation (complete with adorable Toads in astronaut helmets, and a Blooper-shaped spaceship!).

My favorite of the three Rainbow Roads (three! that's how awesome MK8 is) is probably SNES Rainbow Road, though. It has the purest and most intense colors, and seeing the ripples of light cascading down the Mario World-style hills (and the lil' Toad houses lit up in the darkness below) is just pure magic.

Although I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone who adores N64 Rainbow Road, either. The warm golden hues, the fireworks shaped like characters, the glittering metropolis below, the choo-choo train and shiny chomps... Also glorious!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thwomp Ruins is probably my favorite track overall. Mario Kart 8 is sooooo gorgeous. It's like the kind of game you'd see in the arcades and pray for a home release. I don't know how they're going to top this.

Griss

I was just floored by it back in 2014. Still the best 'cartoon-style' art design I've ever seen in the game. The way the racers animate makes it look like they're really there, racing, into it. Gives the whole game so much personality. And the level of detail in the backgrounds is insane.

It's a huge part of what makes this by far the best Mario Kart ever, and one of the top 5 Wii U games.

javac

^^^ The new Rainbow Road is really underrated. I think people didn't give it enough love because they were expecting something along the lines of Super Mario Galaxy — something more organic, with Iblard-ian planetoids whirling about — but the one we got with MK8's "heightened reality" is really nice, gliding along the rainbow-hued solar panels of a sprawling spacestation (complete with adorable Toads in astronaut helmets, and a Blooper-shaped spaceship!).

I really adore the visuals for the new Rainbow Road, the track itself is fun to drift around on as well and like you say the amount of little details add a lot of character to the track itself.

p5YlJvl.jpg

YGSMN0YP.jpg

qAKg0RH3.jpg

CvBLZE2.jpg

sPU9UO5t.jpg

Neiteio

^^^ Gorgeous screens, Javac! Love the full-course view of Mario Circuit — I didn't know that camera angle was possible in replay. Also, your Cheep Cheep Beach shot makes me feel warm and refreshed just looking at it; nice job getting the Piantas on the dock in there, and a view of the fish swimming in the waters.

Also, seeing SNES Rainbow Road makes me long for a 3D remake of Super Mario World, in the "active exploration" model of Super Mario 64 (as Nintendo now calls it). I really want to explore those nighttime hillsides!

N64 Rainbow Road is probably my favorite. This is actually one of my favorite screenshots for anything ever:

MK8%2BRainbow%2BRoad%2BRosalina.jpg

Rosalina's look of wonder, that perfect view of the nightlit downtown, the Toad firework...it's like Christmas for the eyes!

Still remember the night that course was revealed.

mother of god

I just loooooove the SMW-inspired aesthetic found here, Donut Plains 3 and, as of deluxe, SNES Battle Course 1.

Also, seeing SNES Rainbow Road makes me long for a 3D remake of Super Mario World, in the "active exploration" model of Super Mario 64 (as Nintendo now calls it). I really want to explore those nighttime hillsides!

are you me

N64 Rainbow Road is probably my favorite. This is actually one of my favorite screenshots for anything ever:

MK8%2BRainbow%2BRoad%2BRosalina.jpg

Rosalina's look of wonder, that perfect view of the nightlit downtown, the Toad firework...it's like Christmas for the eyes!

Still remember the night that course was revealed.
Stunning.

Neiteio

I like this shot I took highlighting the lit-up hills of SNES Rainbow Road; also note the felt green texture of the grass on the hills:

2017042822493000-1685w0ud8.jpg

Also, I love the neon Thwomps found there, with their glowing checkerboard patterns and Tron-like line effect:

2017042822464200-1685o5ub0.jpg

2017042822495600-1685lrubl.jpg

On N64 Rainbow Road, check out the texture on the star (more evident in the second shot):

2017042822203500-1685cfu66.jpg

2017042822205100-1685n2u19.jpg

Neiteio

There's a nice contrast between the N64 and SNES Rainbow Roads. N64 is pure visual overload, with colors and shapes flooding the screen. SNES has a minimalist - perhaps a bit lonely - but still gorgeous look to it.

The art style for this game is just
http://i.imgur.com/3O7EcOL.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'd add that WiiU Rainbow Road aims for the sleek, glossy, grounded-in-reality look (relatively speaking) of MK8 in general, with all of the shiny manmade structures — even the road itself consists of rainbow-hued solar panels.

The game gives us three amazing Rainbow Roads and never feels redundant in doing so. Feels appropriate for the biggest and best Mario Kart ever.

Also, LOL, I love that gif. :-)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The port of MK8 is gorgeous, imagine what a made from the ground up for the switch version would look like @_____@

fhqwhgads

They really have come a long way. Remember Mario Kart Wii with it's "literally ported over from a Gamecube game 6 years before" assets and how everything looked like it was covered in Vaseline?

I like this shot I took highlighting the lit-up hills of SNES Rainbow Road; also note the felt green texture of the grass on the hills:

2017042822493000-1685w0ud8.jpg

I really need to sit down one day and just soak in everything about this game's detail.

Maybe tomorrow.

There's a nice contrast between the N64 and SNES Rainbow Roads. N64 is pure visual overload, with colors and shapes flooding the screen. SNES has a minimalist - perhaps a bit lonely - but still gorgeous look to it.

The art style for this game is just

for reals. Pikmin 3 has my favorite Wii U artstyle but I think Mario Kart 8 is probably the Wii's best looking game (Pikmin 3 still has a lot of leftover Wii texture/low-poly stuff, although that doesn't stop it from generally looking amazing).

The screens as good as they are unfortunately don't do the game justice. The game is ridiculously pretty at 1080p60 or even on the handheld's crazy vibrant screen at 720p60.

Neiteio

Jesus I've never stopped to examine the textures quite like this, they're gorgeous! Man Nintendo has so much visual potential. ARMS also seems to be dripping with detail but not on this level.
Yeah, MK8 really does have some fantastic texture-work. :)

Note the floors and walls in the following shots I took:

2017042904081800-16858rkyl.jpg

2017050203114601-16857nkeb.jpg

2017042822133600-16853iko7.jpg

2017042822141800-16858ojd8.jpg

2017050323141603-1685nisru.jpg

(These are all taken from portable mode)

I like how the floor looks here:

RQz8SwK.jpg

One of my favorite shots so far:

sdEV61n.jpg

2 random shots:

mJHHFeW.jpg

NwWgUy8.jpg

It really is a gorgeous game. I haven't even tried it on my TV yet! I'll give it a go this weekend.

Neiteio

@HispanicGuy, I adore that screenshot you took of the Inkling Girl in lockup in Renegade Roundup — great closeup you took there, perfectly framed!

Here are some screens I took of the delightfully squishy King Boo. I like the wet sheen he gets after dipping in the water. Also note the sand in the treads of his tires on the first screen of Dry Dry Desert, and note the magnificent maelstrom near the end of Dolphin Shoals! (Not pictured: DAT SAX.)

2017042820035100-1685plsn0.jpg

2017042820042000-1685z4s2d.jpg

2017042900143100-1685q8st5.jpg

2017042900141000-16850eszq.jpg

2017042900125700-1685bus87.jpg

Neiteio

It looks a lot better than the wiiu version. The colours and 1080p make a big difference. Why aren't the screenshots 1080p?
The game is native 1080p 60fps in docked mode (720p 60fps in handheld) but the Capture Button makes the screenshots 720p regardless.

Neiteio

I don't got a Switch yet, and need to live through everyone else. More pretty pictures.
I was hoping somebody would say that.

I'll focus on Big Blue, with its astounding scale as a massive single-lap track. I find more to love in this track every time I play it. The conveyor belts running in different directions, the boost strips and boost rings, the water streams carrying you along quicker, the parallel and intertwining tracks — it's a real rush!

Oh, how I long for a new F-Zero... but between this and Mute City, it's nice to know Nintendo hasn't forgotten their futuristic racer.

CUE THE MUSIC!

2017050203423501-16859cj3k.jpg

2017050203425400-1685dnkoj.jpg

2017050312263900-1685z9s6g.jpg

2017050312261600-1685a4sjl.jpg

2017050312255400-1685grshw.jpg

2017050312282400-1685c5sby.jpg

2017050312284600-1685r6sdo.jpg

2017050312294300-1685cuspx.jpg

2017050312313300-1685m5scc.jpg

2017050312320900-1685mnshw.jpg

2017050312243300-1685gcsdl.jpg

And a few more tropical shots, this time of Wario frolicking on Cheep Cheep Beach... only to meet his (shell)shocking demise:

2017050422104400-16851ss53.jpg

2017050422104000-16856ws8h.jpg

2017050422135200-1685vpusd.jpg

2017050422114900-1685sbuxv.jpg

javac

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the best/easiest way to get my screens from my Switch to GAF without a PC?

You can upload them to Facebook or Twitter.

To Post an Image:

1. From the HOME Menu, select “Album.”
  2. Select an image, then select “Editing and Posting.”
  3. Select “Post.”
  4. Select the user that will post the screenshot.
  5. Select the social media service where the screenshot will be posted.
If required, enter the login information for your social media account.

Beautiful shots, guys!

Sassy Mario. Picture and GIF!

DT0dii2.jpg

BlankBlueCockroach-size_restricted.gif

PIqsIkW.jpg

3B5M5RV.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the best/easiest way to get my screens from my Switch to GAF without a PC?

This is what I use:

Micro usb to OTG cable
SD/Micro SD adaptor

So I would insert the micro sd card into the adaptor then plug the adaptor in the OTG cable then that cable goes into my phone. Then I'll copy whatever files. Each time you take out the sd card from the switch, it'll turn off the system.

Is it the best method? Probably not, lol but since my PC is busted and I don't have Facebook or Twitter, this is my only choice.

Top Bottom