• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zach McGowan To Star In ‘Ni’ihau’ movie as Hawaiian hero

sigh, another whitewashed flop coming up?
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...or-has-been-cast-as-a-hawaiian-hero-in-niihau

rexfeatures_8811408ce.jpg

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
In a move that's prompting growing condemnation, New York actor Zach McGowan has been cast as the Native Hawaiian hero in an upcoming movie about the Battle of Niihau.

Several are accusing McGowan and others behind the film "Niihau" of "whitewashing" the character and ignoring history.

"They could have tried Jason Scott Lee, they could have tried Kala Alexander, they could have tried Jason Mamoa. There's a lot of good actors out there that could have played this part," said Guy Aoki, founding president of Media Action Network for Asian Americans, which is based in Los Angeles.

"Unfortunately, a lot of people in Hollywood believe that in order to have a better chance of making a profit on their films, they have to get a white actor."

McGowan has been cast to play Ben Kanahele, the man credited with saving lives on Niihau when a Japanese pilot crash-landed on the island after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

After being helped by Niihau's residents, the pilot subsequently colluded with inhabitants of Japanese ancestry to take several people hostage and terrorize the island over the course of several days.

Kanahele was eventually able to kill him in a struggle, but was also shot three times in the process. He later received the Medal of Merit and a Purple Heart.

Historians say the "Niihau Incident" increased fears about Japanese nationals and Japanese-Americans in the United States, and helped lead to the mass internment of tens of thousands of Japnaese-American men, women and children.

"Niihau" writer and director Gabriel Robertson said he wanted to make a film about the Niihau battle because of its "huge historical significance."

He told Deadline that the story "plays out like a Shakespearean tragedy. ... I see circumstance as the true antagonist of this story. These characters, once placed in this situation, were driven by their initial instincts: to help a stranger in need. Indeed, it wasn't until circumstance forced their hands that the characters desperately turned to violence."

McGowan has previously appeared in "Black Sails," "Shameless" and "The 100."

On Twitter Tuesday, he shared a link about the casting news and wrote, "Excited about this project!"

That prompted rebuke from some, and praise from others.

"You shouldn't be excited, you should be embarrassed to even think about whitewashing history," wrote one Twitter user.
Another responded to the announcement on the movie's Twitter page with: "He's not Hawaiian. Or even Hawaiian-adjacent. He's a white guy playing a Hawaiian man, who was a real not-white person. What are you doing?"

Deadline reports that filming for the project begins at the end of May in Malaysia.

The casting announcement comes in the wake of other controversial movies in which white actors played non-white characters, and as Hollywood continues to generate criticism for its lack of diversity and cultural sensitivity.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Who

McGowan attended Ethical Culture Fieldston School from kindergarten through senior year in high school, where he was the captain of the football and ice hockey teams and a member of the drama and theater societies.

They didn't teach him well enough.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I would think that the actors/actresses in this climate would just simply be like, wait, I don't want this shitstorm my way. However, it never happens. Money and greed I guess.

valeo

I would think that the actors/actresses in this climate would just simply be like, wait, I don't want this shitstorm my way. However, it never happens. Money and greed I guess.

Or it's just really hard to get acting jobs, even if you're a white dude, so you just take whatever?

They're casting a relative unknown in this film, and they decide to go this route? I mean... I mean...

kZD8cN1MycfKw.gif

This. I remain relatively unconvinced of this whitewashing thing being a huge issue, but if you're going to cast a nobody (I have never heard of this guy) why the hell would you not just pick someone right for the role?

You mofos can't use the "Star power" Excuse that you used with Scarlett Johansson with this dude....

This. I remain relatively unconvinced of this whitewashing thing being a huge issue, but if you're going to cast a nobody (I have never heard of this guy) why the hell would you not just pick someone right for the role?

What the FUCK?

THIS IS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE HUGE ISSUE SIR.....smh

Clydefrog

Ah, I remember reading about this at the Pacific Aviation Museum on Oahu. They had the remaining parts of the crashed Zero there too.

gnomed

Well you see... Hollywood producers spend lots of time and money to make the movies. Studios need to find ways to minimize the costs of them. If you invested your own income would you want to take risks? This is how capitalism works, supply and demand. And currently the people with money have spoken with their wallets. You wouldn't steal a car would you, so why would you steal this culture appropriation. Can't have your cake and eat it to you damn strawman argument.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's one thing to critique stuff like Dr. Strange or GitS for this but at the end of the day, those are fictional characters. This is a real-life person of color getting played by a white dude in a movie. You sure as fuck wouldn't cast Billy Zane as Barack Obama.

Zoe

It's one thing to critique stuff like Dr. Strange or GitS for this but at the end of the day, those are fictional characters. This is a real-life person of color getting played by a white dude in a movie. You sure as fuck wouldn't cast Billy Zane as Barack Obama.
Hey, if Angelina Jolie could do it, so can this nobody.

Primus

The 1/4 of me that's Hawaiian is in complete agreement with the 3/4 of me that's not, and we say fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this shit. Benehakaka Kanahele is a god damn civilian war hero, who got shot three times while trying to subdue the Japanese soldier. Then he picked up the soldier over his head and slammed him into a FUCKING WALL before Ben and his wife finally killed the soldier.

Seriously. That happened. So I'm a little fucking salty that some haole gets cast for this role.

Yikes, that's bad. This is mostly on the producers for seeking out a white actor from the start, but not entirely. Even as a relatively unknown actor, he should have had the good sense (and decency) to turn this role down.

Cuburt

This is exactly the type of thing that people are talking about.

I mean, this is an actual real life person that they are white-washing. It's an open and shut case.

Neofx

I loved him in The 100 and Black Sail and i'd love to see him in a feature film. But yeah, weird casting choice for this movie.

The 1/4 of me that's Hawaiian is in complete agreement with the 3/4 of me that's not, and we say fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this shit. Benehakaka Kanahele is a god damn civilian war hero, who got shot three times while trying to subdue the Japanese soldier. Then he picked up the soldier over his head and slammed him into a FUCKING WALL before Ben and his wife finally killed the soldier.

Seriously. That happened. So I'm a little fucking salty that some haole gets cast for this role.

Man was hardcore, got damn

I mean seriously though....you got a A list star in The Rock who could do it....I mean, shit...you don't go with The Rock, you go with this no name dude?

I'm just baffled.

Why the hell would this guy even accept this role? Is he trying to commit career suicide? And what the fuck is wrong with Hollywood? You would think they would've learned by now this shit is unacceptable.

This is exactly the type of thing that people are talking about.

I mean, this is an actual real life person that they are white-washing. It's an open and shut case.

I don't consider this movie to be similar to Ghost in the Shell, for example. That or The Great Wall, or any other major blockbuster. "Whitewashing" those roles doesn't upset me. It makes financial sense (in a very specific mindset, of course. A live action adaptation of an old mature anime film was always going to bomb, so choosing to go A-list over relatively unknown Asian is a tough call).

Here I see no reason not to cast someone who fits the role.

Top Bottom