• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 indie studios from Singapore announces plan to develop Nintendo Switch games

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So Nintendo visited Singapore at the Digipen Game conference to talk to the indie studios, most of them communicating with Nintendo for the first time.

And today these indie studios has collectively announces that they are going to make Nintendo Switch games. the deal seems to be only inked fairly recently its likely we wont see anything in the near future.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1260190300702927.1073741838.854502671271694&type=3
DigiPen Game Studios, Infocomm Media Development Authority, and Eight Indie Studios Announce Indies’ Intent to Develop for Nintendo Switch™

Daylight Studios, Gattai Games, The Gentlebros, PD Design Studios, Rotten Mage, Springloaded, Tyler Projects, and Zengami, today announced the indie studios’ plans to develop games for the Nintendo Switch™ console. Most of the studios had the opportunity to meet with Nintendo for the first time at the second annual DigiPen Game Conference, held in Singapore this past February, which led to this outcome.

jonno394

Looking at the sites of those studios, there seems to be plenty of stuff I like the look of!

edit - I want Cat Quest!

ArtHands

They already announced something similar for 3DS and Wii U eShop titles 2 years ago. But nothing ever materialised:

http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/games-apps/nintendo-and-digipen-launches-digipen-game-studios

Space Lift Danger Panic! and Heart Beaten were made in Singapore but then again they may not be a part of this. Not sure about Wii U

Edit: wait, that link is about the opening of Digipen Games Studio in mid 2015. Considering what happened throughout 2016, I guess they must have told these studios to switch to Nintendo Switch instead.

Fiendcode

Space Lift Danger Panic! and Heart Beaten were made in Singapore but then again they may not be a part of this. Not sure about Wii U

Edit: wait, that link is about the opening of Digipen Games Studio in mid 2015. Considering what happened throughout 2016, I guess they must have told these studios to switch to Nintendo Switch instead.
The article only specifies 3DS too, nothing about Wii U so I'm not sure why Shiggy mentioned it in the first place?

Shiggy

Seems like neither game was made with Digipen though. There only was an intern from Digipen helping on the port, that's all I could find. Nothing related to Digipen publishing anything.

ArtHands

Seems like neither game was made with Digipen though. There only was an intern from Digipen helping on the port, that's all I could find. Nothing related to Digipen publishing anything.

Digipen must have shifted focus to Nintendo Switch right after the set up of their game studios.

ArtHands

http://nintendoeverything.com/eight-singapore-based-indie-studios-to-develop-for-switch/

quotes from the studios. Seems they want to port some games (Cat Quest, Dusty Raging Fist, Spacejacked) and some new titles to Switch.
”We feel our game's mechanics and aesthetics would be perfect for the Switch and players would enjoy playing our game on a new console!" said Ivan Moltini, PR & Communications of Daylight Studios.

”We love couch multiplayer games, and the Switch's unique blend of portability and local multiplayer support brings that mode of play to a larger audience than before," Andre Pong, Design + Stuff Guy of Gattai Games said.

”The Switch comes with an amazing ability to be both a home console and a portable system. We feel Cat Quest would be right at home because of this," said Desmond Wong, Chief Executive Bro of The Gentlebros.

”The Nintendo Switch fits nicely into our game's play mode. Dusty Raging Fist is a couch co-op game. Players can bring the game anywhere on the go and still enjoy playing together with the Switch's separable joycon controllers. We believe this feature strongly reinforces our game's fun factor," said Ken Poh, Studio Director of PD Design Studios.

”Spacejacked is highly suitable for the Switch for its fast-paced and intensive gameplay, regardless of playing ‘docked' or ‘on the go'," said Lim Chian Song, Director of Rotten Mage.

”When the Nintendo Switch was first announced, we were instantly overflowing with new ideas and concepts for the console. The possibilities for a portable HD gaming system inspired us to start thinking about building shared experiences that simply wouldn't be possible on other systems," said James Barnard, Founder of Springloaded.

”The Switch shares the same design philosophy that we have: Enable users to play anywhere, anytime. With a powerful system, it also allows us to develop games with fancier graphics," said Leonard Lin, Chief Executive Officer of Tyler Projects.

”Nintendo has been very supportive, and Switch suits our creative DNA perfectly. It's a fantastic, amazingly versatile console that opens the door to creative new games. We think it will be a big success and are delighted to develop for a Nintendo console once again!" said Andrew Carter, Director of Zengami.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Saw a lot of work by students at DigiPen Singapore early last year, there's some serious talent there. NX was still a question mark even to DigiPen at the time, but naturally the Nintendo is strong there so a shift to Switch is no surprise.

Cool!

Top Bottom