• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - The Last Remnant (a.k.a. "Squandered Potential: The Game")

First I'd like to give a shout-out to GAF member iosefe, who generously gave this game away in a Steam-GAF raffle (which I won!).

So, The Last Remnant. It's a JRPG (as if you couldn't tell that just by looking at the picture above) made by Square Enix, and it originally came out in 2008 for the Xbox 360. The PC version (which is the one I will be talking about) came out the following year and contained some improvements.

"Well Luap, what did you think of it?"
I can't say I disliked it completely - in fact, there were times when I really enjoyed it. But I could tell from very early on that it was going to let me down. Basically: I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. This game should have been a home run for Square Enix, but instead they hit maybe a double. At its best it has the most fun turn-based combat I've ever played, but the experience is greatly marred by some very poor game design choices. By the end of the main quest, which took me 64 hours to reach, I was so tired of dealing with this game's flaws that I didn't even bother with the late-game sidequests and optional bosses.

Lets start with the good:

+ The battle system
As I said, the turn-based combat in this game can be really fun. The battles have a unique large-scale feel to them, there's a bunch of cool abilities you can use, and lots of strategy is involved both before (union makeup and formations) and during battle. I've had some victories that were maybe on-par with being as satisfying as killing a Dark Souls boss.

+ Cool setting
The world-building in this game is good. The major towns/cities have these huge remnants sticking out of/hovering over them, and it looks really cool. It's a 2008 game but as Xenoblade Chronicles proved to me, good art direction can make up for poor (or in this case, outdated) graphical quality. The music is also good - not great like Xenoblade, but definitely good.

+ QoL stuff
The PC version has a "turbo mode" that fast-forwards through the combat animations; it cuts down on tedium, which is an issue I've had with turn-based games in the past. You can also disable abilities so a character won't use them during battle, which is very helpful and a nice customization feature. Also, your party's HP heals to full after battle, which I really like - forcing me to stay at an inn or use healing items between battles is something I almost always find unnecessary and annoying in games.

Now for the so/so:

~ The story
TLR's story is full of campy JRPG tropes, but it was interesting enough. I'm one of those people who values gameplay over story every time, so as long as the gameplay is fun and the story isn't so godawful that I literally can't stand it, I'm good to go. Here's a post I made in the Steam thread after watching the final cutscene, where I discussed why the plot was actually kinda interesting in the end:

Beat The Last Remnant. I saw that "twist" at the end coming like 20 (game) hours ago lol. The story was often cheesy, not helped by rather sub-par English voice acting (with some exceptions like David and The Conqueror), but the plot was actually kinda interesting once you have the full picture (major spoilers):

It's implied that remnants are sentient beings, but are unable to communicate with the humans/other races. People have been binding, or perhaps a better word is enslaving, remnants and using them as tools for eons now, and the remnants have decided to push back. The remnants birthed Rush, a remnant in human form who would be able to communicate to people, but he was found and adopted by humans and his purpose was never fulfilled - it's implied that Mrs. Sykes wiped his memory of his intended purpose using Marion's Blessing. So this time the remnants birthed a new "human" remnant in adult form instead (The Conqueror), and he was tasked with Rush's original job: to free the remnants from mankind's grasp. This would be very bad news for everyone else in the world, because the remnants would cause widespread death and destruction if released. But Rush, having been raised by humans (you might even say he was brainwashed by his adoptive parents), isn't having it and ends up using his power to destroy them all, including himself, to save humanity. Knowing the full backstory puts a much darker mood over that final scene where you see all the remnants in the world disintegrating - Rush betrayed his own kind and pulled a straight-up remnant holocaust. But hey... at least they aren't slaves anymore.

Now for the bad:

- The game explains almost nothing about its mechanics
Apparently that's par for the course for these developers (they made the SaGa series, which I never played), but that's no excuse. What does my character's class mean, and can I change it? Classes are actually very important and you can influence them based on what arts/stats your characters have, but the game informs you of absolutely none of this. What is a synergy and why does it happen so rarely? A synergy means you have 3-5 units with a certain combination of mystic arts, which combine to create a mega-powerful arcana art that hits every single enemy on the field. Gee, wouldn't it have been nice of the game to explain how to learn/trigger them? Well it didn't. Why can I only use unique/remnant/summon arts sometimes? Because your union has to be out of deadlock, and have either high or low enough union morale to trigger it. But, and this is shocking I know, the game chooses not to explain any of this to you. I could go on, but I won't. You basically need to read a Wikia/Steam guide or else you'll likely never figure out how to play this game correctly. And that's stupid.

- Lots of missable quests/characters
There are certain parts of the main quest that will cut off access to certain sidequests. You are given no warning. Also, the way of acquiring some characters (Duke of Ghor comes immediately to mind) is so obscure it's ridiculous. If you intend to face the "true" form of the final boss, you need to complete every sidequest in the game. If you don't follow a guide you will almost certainly fail at this, and will likely miss some good characters/items too.

- The leveling system
The way leveling is handled is the single worst design flaw in this game. It's overly-complicated and ends up being more punishing than it should (and apparently it was much worse in the Xbox 360 version!). Here's a quick summary from the Wikia page:

Battle Rank (BR) is the Last Remnant's version of a leveling scheme. Unlike traditional RPGs where character level translates directly into character strength, BR is a measure of battlefield performance that boosts enemy difficulty and enables certain team improvements as it rises.

The bolded part is the issue. Leveling up in this game doesn't make your characters stronger. Stats and arts are improved by repeated use of combat/mystic arts in battle. So that's the problem: you only want to engage in long battles (i.e., boss fights and rare monsters), because all of your characters will be able to improve their arts/stats. If you play the game "normally," you will engage in many battles that end rather quickly, which will not give all your characters enough chances to use their arts, which leads to you having an underpowered party. Therefore, the "optimal" way to play this game is to avoid every non-boss mob in the game that isn't a necessary fight for a quest. There are notable exceptions to this rule for those in the know, two of which include cheesing sidequests to either link a bunch of instantly respawning mobs at once or infinitely respawn a rare dragon, and one of which is an area where you can also link a bunch of mobs together to powergrind. Obviously a regular player will not know about any of that... because who expects that the best way to play an RPG is to avoid 90% of the enemies in the game, except in extremely specific circumstances? You can still beat the main quest (though some parts will likely be very difficult) if you don't play the "optimal" way, but you will almost certainly find some of the sidequest/optional bosses impossible to beat. If you want to beat all the rare/optional bosses, including the true form of the final boss, you are basically required to follow a guide (like this one), all of which include keeping your BR low and leveling certain arts (most importantly the hex Cachexia). The creator of that guide, who obviously loves this game, nevertheless had this to say near the end:
I hate to say this, but how can one make a game this unbalanced, that there is only ONE way to properly beat it?
Yeah. It's just far too easy to fuck yourself over in this game. Not to mention it puts a damper on the whole experience when you're trying to avoid most of the battles, and makes exploring areas much more annoying because you're constantly running away from mobs.

- Units/unions that are dead at the end of a battle get ZERO experience
There's good game design, there's bad design, and then there's asshole design. This is the third one. This scenario will happen to you at some point (likely many times): You fight a long battle against a boss or rare monster, and it happens to kill one of your unions right before you kill it. Well too bad! - those dead units get no stat gains at all. Zip! Nada! It's just so stupidly unnecessary to punish the player like that; it made me irrationally angry whenever it happened.

- Luck plays too large a role
I mentioned earlier that the combat "can" be really fun, and this is true. However, RNG (damage randomization, status effect chances, crit chances) is too much of a factor in battles, and it's really fucking annoying when you're repeatedly on the wrong end of it.

- Other complaints
Upgrading weapons is tedious as hell, especially since in the PC version all 18 of your units can (and should) be leader characters, who will all be requesting materials. With the exception of Rush, you aren't allowed direct control over your party members' equipment. There is very noticeable pop-in and screen-tearing. There's a shit ton of sudden and/or multi-stage battles where you're given no chance to save the game beforehand. And upon dying you get sent back to the title screen - I literally started laughing when it happened the first time because I was so surprised at how archaic it felt.

CONCLUSION:
TLR has moments of brilliance where its potential shines through. Seriously, this game could have been an absolute classic. Unfortunately, the deep flaws in this game make it fall way short of its potential, so I was left feeling frustrated by the end. I really wanted to love this game, but it's just not good enough. The fact that it basically requires a guide to play it properly means I can't recommend it to anyone who isn't a hardcore JRPG fan.

Corpekata

Banned
It's just not a very good game. I maintain, at least among the PC community, that it had a better reputation than it deserved because it was essentially one of the first JRPGs on PC in a long time, and stayed that way for a while too. Some of the rules to the systems of this game are just flat out nonsense.

Rush is one of the worst lead characters to ever exist in a game. He's maybe only beaten out by that kid in the Symphonia sequel.

Interesting always wanted to play this. Wish they made a sequel since it seems like it had a lot of potential and they could've fixed the flaws plus it doesn't look like that PS3 port is coming anytime soon.

Soltype

When you know what's going on it's fantastic, even then I had fun on my first blind playthrough.The story is stale, but the characters are pretty good.I'm going to run through it again sometime this year, also the soundtrack is extremely high quality in some places.Some of the best game music I've heard recently.

Welcome to the wacky world of Akitoshi Kawazu! Pretty much all the games he's involved in have the same sorts of things you complain about here, going back to Final Fantasy II and its "beating up your own party is the best way to get stronger" system of leveling. You either find some fondness for his eccentricity or are baffled by its obtuseness.

Sioul

I love this game, I have completed Things Unchangeable(all the quests) twice and I agree with every point. The leveling part for me its the worse because it is not explained, in my first run I chained and killed everything I encountered and just recruited random soldiers in every town, I got a really high BR but with terrible stats and then I reached
the six bases
and I had to restart the game (I still can't understand how I was able to defeat
the gates of hell
with that team).
For my next run I learned about the leveling system and got a fantastic team after finishing the grinding in the ancient ruins, the moment I started getting the special arts I destroyed everything in my way.

Edit: OP missed a obligatory link to the soundtrack

Philippo

I only played the first few hours, but i lnly remmeber everyone was so hyped before its release and that it felt like a copy-pasted FFXII in artstyle.

Footos22

Got all the achievements and the dlc achievements. Loved it performance issues aside. Knew nothing about the levelling system and still managed to get through it ok. Shit was hard though.

Aeana

I love this game so much, but yes, I had to figure out most of how it worked for myself, or from the perfect bible guide. That's a major black mark against it. But WITH that information, I just find everything about it (except JYB as Rush) so phenomenal.

For the record, my love started with the 360 version. The PC version is a lot better, but the 360 version was still good to me.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Played through 90% of the game twice now. Got to the final boss on my first run before I had any idea how the leveling system worked. Fought the final boss for 20-30 minutes or something just barely keeping ahead of him killing all my unions. I think it came down to running out of revive items at the end.

I have another run that I'm most of the way through. IIRC I just need to finish clearing out the last of the paths and I can go fight the boss, but I was also clearing out all the side quests and trying to upgrade my weapon as much as I could... Just lost interest.

Like you said, don't really give a damn about the story. I was all in on the battle system though. I think the critical triggers really helped me stay in the game. Just that extra little bit of interactivity during the fights kept me feeling engaged. That and I really liked the battle music.

I remember talking to a friend about the game when I started playing it on PC. He had only played it on 360 and apparently Gates of Hell was a much tougher boss there as it just murdered him every time, while I mostly breezed through it on my first shot. He was very salty. :D

Game was great, even if i never finished it, lol. I remember fighting an old Kung-Fu-Like Boss Enemy, which was crazy strong. There was a long ass battle on a very big battlefield, right before encountering him. You had to do this all over again, if you died at the boss. And I died a lot, lol.

"Gates of Hell" Boss was also an asshole (but cool music)
Soundtrack in general was dope.
Also loved the setting.

Very underrated game. But also understandable, considering the technical mess it was on Xbox 360.

Heard the PC Version fixed many problems?

I would love to finish it some day.

Zeta Oni

Really enjoyed my time with this one, to the point I ended up owning both versions. Look forward to seeing how the game runs if it goes up on Xbox BC.

Seda

Literally my favorite game of the last generation. Few other games come close to being as interesting with how flexible the combat is, how cool the progression systems are. Ive done three complete playthroughs with three quite different set ups. One I mostly did typical combat unions with a healing group, the second I kinda had multipurpose groups and mixed in magic unions for flavor, the third I had morale manipulators (this makes those dragons a piece of cake), item experts, and hexers. There are so many ways you can approach the game.

I absolutely adore the soundtrack too. Obviously lots of high energy guitar-heavy battle themes, but some really neat location themes as well, such as Limberlost and Rolling Hills, Sprawling Plains. I quite like the variety in instrumentation.

Many sidequests are indeed missable, and I've used a quick checklist when playing to make sure I don't miss any. Your point is valid, but I really do enjoy several of the quests. Lots of tough encounters and bosses. There's an appropriate level of challenge to much of the game, and some of those optional enemies feel so satisfying to best them. I also really like how there are many optional areas to explore if you decide to wander from the main path. There's also a great variety in locale aesthetic and structure, from open fields to enclosed spaces. It's great.

You are also totally correct that the game doesn't explain itself very well. But once you figure the ins and outs of everything, it all clicks. I also kinda like just experimenting and figuring stuff out, I suppose. If you know what you are doing, your unions will essentially always be able to perform the actions you need them to.

The story is whatever. Who cares :p

For the record, my love started with the 360 version. The PC version is a lot better, but the 360 version was still good to me.

Yeah I also 'fell in love' with the 360 version initially, performance aside. The PC version is a lot better of course. Not just that you can use all hero characters but you can turn off skills. This makes specialization so much easier (stop using Magic Missle, Torgal!).

edit: Also Cachexia is hardly required to beat the super bosses. I think I used it once just to see what it looked like.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I worked on this game. It was, um, real interesting.

Coming out of it I was like "damn, the composer of this game is ON POINT, I hope he gets one of the mainline games next"

Lyriell

First game I got all achievements for. This was a really great game that didn't teach you its mechanics and had some big choke points if you didn't get the right skills.

But damn some of those long battles were amazing.

Loved it and wished we got a refined sequel.

Lyriell

Coming out of it I was like "damn, the composer of this game is ON POINT, I hope he gets one of the mainline games next"

Yes, the soundtrack was awesome!

Any tidbits you can share on the games development?

Blank!

Game was absolute garbage on xbox 360. I recall hearing the PC port made a series of gameplay tweeks that vastly improved the game, and sadly it's been too long and I've buried my exact complaints on the gameplay deep insde.

I just recall absolutely loathing the combat, leveling, etc. I remember losing fights because I wasn't allowed to heal or they'd use the wrong ability. There was some limit in place on characters you could use too which made leveling tedious.

Yeah, this game is wonderful. My praise would mostly echo Aeana and Seda's, but one thing I'd particularly note was just how enjoyable the map design aspect was in this game. This game came out at a time most big JRPGs (including a lot of its notable 360 brethren) were heavily linear and tightly constrained. Out of the brief trend of open-exploration complex-map JRPGs that came out in the back half of last decade, only Xenoblade really contends with TLR for the top spot. This game was filled with well-designed areas that were visually distinct, interesting to explore, and full of goodies that made exploring worthwhile -- some are even optional, just for the people really digging deep into the game. Great tunes, too.

tjlee2

Neo Member
I played through this game 3 times (2xNG, 1xNG+) and the only things I liked were the combat system and music. I enjoyed the limited interaction you had with some of the side characters too I guess.

Definitely a missed opportunity, but at least it's not the original version.

Mephala

I almost/sort of liked it on 360 despite the performance hiccups and all its flaws. The PC version tidied up on a lot of things and truly allowed me to appreciate the game despite some annoyances remaining.

When I played it again on PC, I saw it as a 40+ hour RPG with possibility of screwing yourself over at multiple stages. I found a mini guide that gave me tips on what to do and what to avoid. It didn't spoil anything really but helped me through it without worrying too much about getting walled out of progression. When the tough parts came it was a good almost brutal challenge.

Controlling unions in combat felt amazing. It literally felt like a small scale war and allowed you to field many of your recruited characters where as other games such as Suikoden had a large party but majority of the roster remains unused until you swap someone in. It also becomes tedious when there are too many characters on the field such as Tactics Ogre which allows you to have up to 12 allies. Battle tends to drag out as you need to give commands to all of them.
This truly felt the best as you see groups of allies rush in together and attack enemies as a unit. The abilities are based on party composition as well so it isn't just about filling empty character slots to hit higher stats.

It didn't take me long to switch to Japanese voices. English ones were pretty grating. The story and dialogue were mediocre but the plot and lore of the world is pretty interesting. I kind of wish there was more background on the various races and interactions between these characters.

The enjoyed character designs. They were mostly inoffensive to look at which is... Pretty rare for a JRPG. I really liked Torgal and some of the other characters of his race.
YgReRwO.jpg

I also really appreciate how Rush would change appearance every once in a while as you progress in the story. You go from generic NPC tier to wearing some armor that isn't too over the top and makes you fit in more with David's crew.

I laughed pretty hard when the game hands you Emmy. -_- It kind of killed the moment for me.

I'd love to see a sequel to this. Throw in an explorable world like Xenoblade X and tidy up the the systems.

Yup, I also love this game. I played this blind and managed to beat it, but it is true that some optional fights feel impossible. I didn't let that hamper my enjoyment, though. When I love a game, I don't mind getting back to it yeeeeears down the road to try and 100% it (but I probably wouldn't). I have not done it with this one yet.

It sounds silly, but I've never done it with any Baten Kaitos game, either (my all-time favorite RPGs) because I feel like if--and when--I cross that 100% threshold, I'll feel less inclined to play them again (or just wait that much longer to). And this is true for any game. I like to replay games a lot years after beating them last, when I'm foggy on details, and knowing a long game inside and out would feel like a detriment to me. But I digress. I'm basically saying I've yet to try and tackle the multitude of optional bosses in TLR.

I played it blind my first time, then looked at a guide checklist for sidequests on NG+. But I do that more to just see what I missed and what I feel like doing--if I can. When I first played (PC version. Never finished the 360 version), I knew there was something off about the leveling system, but I didn't care to know details, so I just played my way: chaining as many enemies as I could at once. It always made for exhilarating battles. I love 'em lengthy and hard, and I did that for most of the game. I never skipped fights (but I never fought singles).

The best fight in the game for me was this guy:

I don't know if it was because I presumably made the game harder for myself or what, but he was extremely challenging (and he's a story boss). It was a battle of attrition with him always one-shotting a union, and me having to scramble to revive them but still do damage to it. It came down to the wire, and morale was always in the red. Maaaaan, such an amazing fight. My heart was racing. I couldn't believe how neck-and-neck it was for a story boss, and wondered how many people's playthroughs ended there :p.

"They caught us with our pants down!"

That fucking line, I swear.

Delio

One of my favorite games. I remember getting to the final boss and not having lotions trained. Recently beatr it on PC but yeah i needed a guide to get anywhere.

I only played the first few hours, but i lnly remmeber everyone was so hyped before its release and that it felt like a copy-pasted FFXII in artstyle.

What's that? You say some of the character designs remind you Final Fantasy characters?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Got all the achievements and the dlc achievements. Loved it performance issues aside. Knew nothing about the levelling system and still managed to get through it ok. Shit was hard though.

That's very impressive.

Literally my favorite game of the last generation. Few other games come close to being as interesting with how flexible the combat is, how cool the progression systems are. Ive done three complete playthroughs with three quite different set ups. One I mostly did typical combat unions with a healing group, the second I kinda had multipurpose groups and mixed in magic unions for flavor, the third I had morale manipulators (this makes those dragons a piece of cake), item experts, and hexers. There are so many ways you can approach the game.

edit: Also Cachexia is hardly required to beat the super bosses. I think I used it once just to see what it looked like.

How did you deal with the bosses' crazy OP arts spam without Cachexia?

I disagree with you about the progression systems. But I agree about the flexible combat. Definitely the strongest point of the game.

Like you said, don't really give a damn about the story. I was all in on the battle system though. I think the critical triggers really helped me stay in the game. Just that extra little bit of interactivity during the fights kept me feeling engaged. That and I really liked the battle music.

Yeah that was another cool aspect of the combat system I didn't mention. It's true that turn-based games can often feel less engaging than action games, but the QTEs keep you on your toes.

How cool! Got any stories? Yeah as I mentioned the music was definitely good.

Yeah, this game is wonderful. My praise would mostly echo Aeana and Seda's, but one thing I'd particularly note was just how enjoyable the map design aspect was in this game. This game came out at a time most big JRPGs (including a lot of its notable 360 brethren) were heavily linear and tightly constrained. Out of the brief trend of open-exploration complex-map JRPGs that came out in the back half of last decade, only Xenoblade really contends with TLR for the top spot. This game was filled with well-designed areas that were visually distinct, interesting to explore, and full of goodies that made exploring worthwhile -- some are even optional, just for the people really digging deep into the game. Great tunes, too.

Oof, I can't agree with that at all. I praised TLR's world-building but the actual map design didn't particularly strike me as anything special, and I would certainly never compare it to Xenoblade, which is on a completely different level IMO.

Controlling unions in combat felt amazing. It literally felt like a small scale war and allowed you to field many of your recruited characters where as other games such as Suikoden had a large party but majority of the roster remains unused until you swap someone in. It also becomes tedious when there are too many characters on the field such as Tactics Ogre which allows you to have up to 12 allies. Battle tends to drag out as you need to give commands to all of them.
This truly felt the best as you see groups of allies rush in together and attack enemies as a unit. The abilities are based on party composition as well so it isn't just about filling empty character slots to hit higher stats.

I laughed pretty hard when the game hands you Emmy. -_- It kind of killed the moment for me.

I'd love to see a sequel to this. Throw in an explorable world like Xenoblade X and tidy up the the systems.

Oh god, an improved sequel with a Xenoblade-type explorable world - yes please.

And yeah that Emmy thing felt... a little too soon. Lol.

Agree with you about the combat. You explained it better than me.

Lanrutcon

I liked this game.

I think the one thing that really wore me down as I was playing it was searching for specific enemies to kill for either quests or materials. Spawning things came down to entering, running through a few screens to see if it is there, and then exiting if it wasn't. This became almost all I did as I was trying to get everyone's weapons to their final forms and all quests completed in the last stage of the game.

I found the optional bosses to be pretty tame. There were none you couldn't just go grind for, and even if you didn't you could just keep attempting them over and over until RNG went your way.

JMTHEFOX

Got the game for PC months ago. Haven't gone very far but it runs pretty well and still looks good to this day.

Its also interesting that this game has lip-syncing with English in mind.

Riposte

You make this seem like a real mixed bag, but on the positive side you have the game nailing a bunch of essential qualities and on the negative side you basically mentioned how the game confused you and was very deep. Imagine someone saying this about a grand strategy game or even Demon's Souls. The game ends up looking better than your conclusion implies. If one doesn't enjoy the process of jumping into a complicated game blind, there's guides and stuff.

Monocle

I love this game so much, but yes, I had to figure out most of how it worked for myself, or from the perfect bible guide. That's a major black mark against it. But WITH that information, I just find everything about it (except JYB as Rush) so phenomenal.

This was almost exactly my experience. I started with the 360 version and had to look up a bunch of info about the mechanics. Once I got things figured out, the game repayed that effort many times over.

It's such a special title. The combat is endlessly fun, especially near the middle of the game when your options open up. It's very rewarding to develop advanced abilities and create a formidable team that's constantly busting out insane combat arts. I should also add that the enemy and environment design are phenomenal, and the music suits all of the different locations perfectly. It's one of those games like Xenoblade that just feels good to spend time in.

TLR is a flawed game but its highs are so enjoyable that I was happy to power through the 360 version's framerate issues and systems problems (most of which were fixed in the PC version). The combat is really something. I would drop everything to play a sequel or HD remake with that wonderful gameplay.

Footos22

Wish the game had a time played timer though. Cos I swear I put an ungodly amount of hours into it and it doesn't tell you if I remember rightly

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It's just not a very good game. I maintain, at least among the PC community, that it had a better reputation than it deserved because it was essentially one of the first JRPGs on PC in a long time, and stayed that way for a while too. Some of the rules to the systems of this game are just flat out nonsense.

Rush is one of the worst lead characters to ever exist in a game. He's maybe only beaten out by that kid in the Symphonia sequel.
I vaguely remember there was some cutscene very early in the game where Rush meets the king and he's like "hey dude, how's it going?" or something like that. Then someone tells him "don't talk to your king that way!!!"

Literally made me cringe. I didn't make it much further than that. I was already knee deep in mediocre JRPGs.

That timespan between Final Fantasy XII and Xenoblade Chronicles was probably the darkest period for JRPGs. It almost had me convinced the genre deserved to die.

It's just far too easy to fuck yourself over in this game. Not to mention it puts a damper on the whole experience when you're trying to avoid most of the battles, and makes exploring areas much more annoying because you're constantly running away from mobs.

Yeah, nailed it. And this is one of the best examples I can think of for why modding tools should become as standard in games today as photomodes are becoming. Pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls games also have absolutely atrocious levelling systems that can screw over new players and suck the fun out of simply "playing" the game naturally, but mods fix those issues beautifully. I can only begin to dream of how amazing The Last Remnant would be with a similar mod that rewards victory in battle rather than the default system which actively discourages battle altogether. Because as you say, it's easily one of the best battle systems in any game I've played, and does away with one of the biggest tropes RPGs suffer from - a hero and two/three allies accomplishing feats that would typically require entire armies. In The Last Remnant, you literally fight with an army. Awesome stuff.

Very true about the art direction as well. I was often blown away by the sky boxes. Still holds up very well at high resolutions on PC as well:

13AAEB678B4D446F2D9CA2237942C529D2107ABD

Alrus

I really enjoyed the battle system when I played it. I almost finished it then had to take a break and now I feel like I'd be completely lost if I wanted to pick it up again, and I really don't feel like starting over again.

DemWalls

It's pretty repetitive, but I quite liked this game. Especially the numerous cities, even if they were just a pretty façade. I knew that the levelling system was weird, and there was the risk that I'd have to restart the game if I did something wrong, but I didn't know the details. Still, I somehow managed to beat it.

The Six Bases (and more specifically the albino qsiti) are the worst though.

I have a lot of mixed memories of this game. I decided to try and get all the achievements simply because I didn't have anything else to play at the time. One of the achievements was to kill the hardest form of the last boss, the most difficult boss in the game. To be able to beat him you had to level in such a particular way, from what I remember you had to avoid as many non essential battles as possible.

I was using the xbox360achievements forum for help and there was a lot of confusion about how the levelling/ability system worked weeks after the games release. Everyone was waiting for the official guide release to explain the details but when it came out it didn't elaborate on anything the community didn't already know, which didn't go down well.

My standout memory of the game is one battle (outside a castle?) near the end that lasted a couple of hours. Overall the big scale battles were fun but there was a lot of frustrating stuff that stopped it from being great. If they made a more polished sequel it could have been amazing.

Oof, I can't agree with that at all. I praised TLR's world-building but the actual map design didn't particularly strike me as anything special, and I would certainly never compare it to Xenoblade, which is on a completely different level IMO.

If you're comparing purely on the abstract quality of the world, this is absolutely true. I'm looking at how the gameplay and overall experience in the particular game is mediated by the world. TLR's design isn't anything "special" per se, but in the context of the game's combat systems, the wealth of sidequests, the customization systems, etc. it worked very well -- never so big it feels pointless to engage with, not so flat or linear that every area feels the same, populated with real locations and hand-placed loot in a way that makes exploring worthwhile, etc. Compare FFXII, whose maps are filled with entirely gratuitous complication and almost never have any reason to actually explore them outside a hunt request.

Kientin

Despite the games faults (meh story, cringy dialogue and voice acting are the biggest for me) I love this game. The combat system is so fun, the music is great, good side content, and a beautiful world makes the game for me. While lots of the rules go kinda unexplained, I like SaGa games so I'm kind of use to that abuse haha. I've gone through the game twice now and it's kind of hard for me to put down when I pick it up.

Holy crap is the voice acting bad at times. Whenever I get to the fight with the Seven I gotta start muting stuff.

Sanctuary

Best $5 I've ever spent on a PC game. Extremely obtuse, but as was already stated; reading up on it gives you essentially all you need to understand. Really great soundtrack, and extremely fun battles (or at least fun when you're actually able to do battles without hurting the overall experience).

edit: Just checked my time played with this game. Jesus. 183 hours.

Top Bottom