• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing 1980s comic book explains economics and democracy

Makai

I read this as a kid but it was much more fun as an adult. I don't know of anything else like this - an absurd extended political metaphor in comic book form.

https://freedom-school.com/money/how-an-economy-grows.pdf

It starts out with three Flinstones/Archie ripoffs catching fish to survive.

iY2ecVm.png

Eventually, one of them starves himself just long enough to design and construct a labor-saving invention. The others live in subsistence poverty, but he hoards fish capital.

He becomes a loan shark, charging 100% daily interest on fish loans. He decides who lives and who dies, and he carefully evaluates credit-worthiness to avoid human extinction.

Also, he really enjoys capital investment.

The others develop a superior net that automatically catches fish without human labor, but God punishes them for their arrogance.

The island grows and everyone realizes they need a government - but how best to filter out undesirables?

This works for a time, but eventually liberals ruin everything by letting poor people vote.

The lazy inhabitants of the island elect FDR, who really enjoys discouraging work and savings.

And if you cross him, FDR does not fuck around.

At this point, it becomes a dystopian sci-fi thriller about inflation.

Fearing some readers might not understand the clever allegory, he spells out the moral on the last page.

He even predicts his own future.

He hid income in offshore banks while writing this comic. He was convicted of tax evasion and died in prison.

Some notes while I was reading this:

This is why some of you all are still poor - you have not starved yourselves and invented something in a day.

Here Able is pondering whether or not to take a risk on asshole 1 and asshole 2 being able to make nets or become slumlord of the nets. The obvious answer is become slumlord of the nets. But I like the note at the bottom that mentions that no matter what he decides, he'll be doing a net good for society. In reality this situation takes place in developing countries all around the world and realizes itself in trapping people in poverty by renting them the things they need to survive at exorbitant prices to the point where they can't make any savings at all. Also if he gives them nets at all he should price them at like 2-3 years of profit from fishing. Duh.

The owl has some great lessons for us here.

This week on what to teach your kids: monopolizing net technology and becoming a loan shark are just a few of the many ways you can help your neighbor.

Never mind the great depression ;)

I like that Charlie and Baker are way smarter and made a much better machine than able but they're the lazy slobs in this story.

Spoiler - the modern economy says "yes".

Yikes!

Baker and Charlie work themselves so hard that they become ill. Good thing we didn't grant them that clemency of vacation, otherwise known as "the weekend".

You heard it here first - during the Reagan administration, government COMPLETELY removed the reward of thrift.

I believe these are known simply as "builders".

Btw, in case it's not obvious, do not take economic lessons from someone who was a gold-standard proponent and ended up in federal prison for avoiding taxes.

nicanica

There's an incredible episode of Ducktales that summarizes economic inflation succinctly.

I still remember it to this day. It's called "The Land of Tra La La"

Game Guru

The lazy inhabitants of the island elect FDR, who really enjoys discouraging work and savings.

4p4NUii.png

And if you cross him, FDR does not fuck around.

LSdUBV6.png

You can tell this was from the 1980s because the go-to villainous liberal is FDR, and not Clinton or Obama.

Top Bottom