• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Daniel Day-Lewis performance?

M.W.

DDL is incredible, and he has so many insanely good performances. Which one has been your favorite? If I missed a film, let me know.

My favorite performance would be Bill the Butcher. I loved him in Gangs of New York.

Filmography below:

(1985) My Beautiful Laundrette - Johnny
(1985) A Room with a View - Cecil Vyse
(1986) Nanou - Maxo
(1988) The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Tomas
(1988) Stars and Bars - Henderson Dores
(1989) Eversmile, New Jersey - Dr. Fergus O'Connell
(1989) My Left Foot - Christy Brown
(1992) The Last of the Mohicans - Hawkeye (Nathaniel Poe)
(1993) The Age of Innocence - Newland Archer
(1993) In the Name of the Father - Gerry Conlon
(1996) The Crucible - John Proctor
(1997) The Boxer - Danny Flynn
(2002) Gangs of New York - William "Bill the Butcher" Cutting
(2005) The Ballad of Jack and Rose - Jack Slavin
(2007) There Will Be Blood - Daniel Plainview
(2009) Nine - Guido Contini
(2012) Lincoln - Abraham Lincoln

Kraftwerk

I love all his performances, but the Crucible is almost personal for me. The ending with him crying for his name still makes me shiver.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm just realizing that I haven't watched any of his movies since Gangs. Was that really 15 years ago? Good god.

While I catch up, I'm putting my vote in for Bill the Butcher. I reserve the right to change my vote.

Turin

Banned
lewis-giphy.gif

Abdozer

I would say In The Name of The Father but it's gotta be There Will Be Blood for me.

I should get around to watching Lincoln.

yuraya

There will be blood and its not even close tbh.

One of the all time great performance by any actor in a movie.

There will be blood. It's probably my favourite performance of all time.

He's good in gangs of New York but I genuinely hate that film so I tend to forget about it.

Breads

Banned
His best was probably There Will Be Blood. My favorite though is Gangs of New York.

Definitely one of the more charismatic psychopaths put on film.

Kev Kev

Without a doubt Ganga of New Yorkfor me.

Gangs made me realize how great DiCapprio was but Lewis stole the show, hands down.

Sean C

There Will Be Blood runs away with it.

His work in Gangs of New York is bombastic and entertaining, but that character (much like the film) doesn't really have any depth to him.

Damn, why? I love that film, probably one of my top 5 of this century.

I think diCaprio and Diaz are fucking terrible in it. Their accents are awful. I don't like the story, I feel like it has loads of tropes we've seen before.

It's kind of hard to enjoy a film when you dislike the main character in it

Gangs of New York is probably my favorite performance of his. As others have said though the rest of the movie is ehhhh. He was so good in it he basically carried the movie.

Don't put all the blame on the Diaz though, DiCaprio's Irish accent was not very believable and pretty bad too.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As much as I love his later performances if I had never seen him before watching My Left Foot I would have not been able to tell you that man doesn't have a cerebral palsy. That movie was... raw in a way few other films, even other DDL films, can be.

I think diCaprio and Diaz are fucking terrible in it. Their accents are awful. I don't like the story, I feel like it has loads of tropes we've seen before.

It's kind of hard to enjoy a film when you dislike the main character in it

I honestly think it would have been such a better film if it had focused on Liam Neeson vs DDL in the beginning as it's main plot for the whole movie rather than the whole son revenge story.

Just cut Diaz and Dicaprio's characters out completely and focus the whole movie on Neeson vs DDL. That would have been fucking amazing

As much as I love his later performances if I had never seen him before watching My Left Foot I would have not been able to tell you that man doesn't have a cerebral palsy. That movie was... raw in a way few other films, even other DDL films, can be.

He won the Oscar for Best Actor for that performance

Fevaweva

Man in 1993 the world was blessed with 2 Daniel Day Lewis films. What a time to be alive that must've been.

In The Name Of The Father is my favourite performance of his. I must watch My Left Foot one day.

Top Bottom