• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Daniel Day-Lewis performance?

Sojgat

Bill the Butcher is a cartoon trapped in a bad movie, but it's just such an incredible performance. Every moment commands your attention. Even when he's just out of shot, you're thinking about whether or not he's going to explode into frame and slit someone's throat.

Daniel Plainview is a close second.

Nepenthe

I am sadly ignorant of this actor (although not his reputation), so I viewed WatchMojo's list of his best performances.

Now I'm watching My Left Foot at 3:40 in the morning.

THANKS, MARCELLUS.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I loved him in Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Project

Cuburt

There Will Be Blood is a better movie and DDL's performance is worth it for the milkshake monologue alone, but I think his performance in Gangs of New York on a whole other level of movie villain now that I think about it. It's actually a damn shame that he's not mentioned among the iconic movie villains like Heath Ledger's Joker, Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal, etc. because DDL embodies that character so well, that performance is terrifying how real he makes the character seem. I heard he even learned how to throw knives and was trained how to cut meat by actual butchers. Small details but it does come through on film.

Zen Aku

It's incredibly sad that an actor of his caliber and talent isn't taking on project more often. He's like a Halley's Comet, a sight to behold but you'll be lucky to witness it.

Fury451

Banned
Daniel Plainview.

Bill the Butcher is a great performance, but I think that movie is pretty shit personally- mostly because of Leo.

Despera

Banned
There Will Be Blood easily.

His performance in that movie is the main reason I consider him the best Hollywood actor.

Geist-

I drink your water, I drink it up. Everyday! I drink the blood of lambs from bandys tract!

...You can sit down again.

nqGBrzl.gif

Azriell

I've only ever seen him in Gangs of New York (didn't care for it) and There Will Be Blood (loved it). I actually didn't even know he was a big deal until Lincoln came out. I'm going to have to use this thread as homework, I think.

Sean C

What's Danny up to nowadays? It's been a few years since Lincoln at this point.
I believe he spent the last five years learning to be a stone mason (not a joke).

He's now filming another movie with Paul Thomas Anderson, about the 1950s fashion scene.

barit

He is one hell of a crazy method actor (and drives everyone nuts who works with him) but damn if not every Oscar he won was more than deserved. Every fucking movie he goes all-in and you can see it everytime. Haven't seen every DDL movie yet but from those I have I would pick There will be Blood. Great monologues and a good portrait of a reckless salesman. If you ever wonder what an oil man would look like around 1880 he would be the perfect poster child.

Fercho

There will be blood is not only his best performance. But that movie is in my top 5 of all time. It speaks to me on so many levels.

Mifec

He is one hell of a crazy method actor (and drives everyone nuts who works with him) but damn if not every Oscar he won was more than deserved. Every fucking movie he goes all-in and you can see it everytime. Haven't seen every DDL movie yet but from those I have I would pick There will be Blood. Great monologues and a good portrait of a reckless salesman. If you ever wonder what an oil man would look like around 1880 he would be the perfect poster child.

He's objectively the best actor of our time.

The Crucible and There Will Be Blood.
Watched The Crucible for the first time last week, and I was in awe of his performance. Made me cry at the end too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's crazy given how amazing he is in every role that you can't just straight up say Daniel Plainview which is one of the single greatest performances ever put together. He's the best actor of all time.

He's pretty great in everything he's in.

I think TWBB is tops, though, with Lincoln and Gangs close behind. I have a soft spot for Mohicans as well but he didn't dominate that movie like he did the others mentioned here.

Dead Man

Probably TWBB. I love Bill the Butcher but the movie he's surrounded by always dissapoints me. Plainview is almost as fun to watch and has a vastly better film to work within.

As much as I love his later performances if I had never seen him before watching My Left Foot I would have not been able to tell you that man doesn't have a cerebral palsy. That movie was... raw in a way few other films, even other DDL films, can be.
Yeah, My Left Foot is his best permance by far to me, even though all his others are fantastic.

Top Bottom