• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rock apparently believes in alternate facts; has trouble believing Baywatch sucks

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ea6e4b0df34c35b6622?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000313

The movie’s star, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, however, is on a one man social media mission to convince the world that “Baywatch” isn’t as bad as everyone’s saying it is. Cue the actor launching into an almost Trumpian tweetstorm on Thursday about how out of touch the media is with what the the public wants.

He kicked it off by reminding us all of the “extremely high scores” from fans.

Officially opening TODAY is our lil' rated R beach movie #Baywatch! Extremely high scores from the fans which is always the best part!
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) May 25, 2017

Then he posted a story about the critics score on Rotten Tomatoes rising from its 13 percent to a slightly less embarrassing 18 percent.

“Yay positive upticks,” he tweeted. “Fans LOVE the movie. Critics HATE it. What a glaring disconnect. People just want to laugh & have fun. #Baywatch https://t.co/GrPgdevRuz?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000313

Next he spent time praising some fans and critics who actually liked the movie with some choice retweets and knocks at those who laughed in the theater, but trash the film publicly.

Bold move from this critic who watched #Baywatch w/ other critics who laughed their ass off, but then they decide to trash it publicly. https://t.co/k8x6XFBzPd?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000313

People peeing themselves from laughing has been reported in theaters across the country. It's better than the alternative. #Baywatch https://t.co/ivo8xzF5i5?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000313

My man needs to slow down...

Dabanton

I saw the film yesterday it was a fun, silly movie. No more, no less the crowd I saw it with enjoyed the movie.

Although I will say this movie will probably have better legs on the streaming services.

jayzd.gif

I saw the film yesterday it was a fun, silly movie. No more, no less the crowd I saw it with enjoyed the movie.

The Rock's GAF account outed.

DKehoe

I like The Rock a lot, but he spends a lot of time on twitter unironically retweeting articles about how he should be president. The guy obviously has a massive ego and so maybe won't handle bad reviews in the best way.

Love the rock but like 95% of the movies he's in are trash. Only ones I look out for these days are the fast and furious ones

And as much as I like ballers he's usually the most boring part about each episode

Nokterian

And here it goes all wrong, even Keanu Reeves accepted that the day the earth stood still kinda sucked for him (not me i liked it).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Take the L, Dwayne. Your movie will probably make enough money that your celebrity status won't be hurt by it. No need for defensiveness on Twitter about it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
He doesn't sound any different than me posting on GAF when I liked a critically panned movie 😂

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I thought he was better than this. He better stop trying to convince people to see his new movie, or he has lost my vote in 2020.

Actors and directors love to twist themselves into knots trying to explain why they're movie doesn't actually, but is "for the fans" or critics have some sort of vendetta (clearly, the reason to dislike Iron FIst is because it came out after Trump won the presidency).

It's pretty ridiculous, but I do kind of get it; these are people that spent months and months of their lives on a project and put their heart and soul into it. They probably figure the work they've done is great, so hearing people think it sucks can't be easy. I'm guessing The Rock was more invested than usual in this one, for whatever reason.

Dabanton

The Rock's GAF account outed.

Haha if only.

The film is goofy and silly. I can see why the critics would have trashed it but this is the second movie this month where I feel the critics have had a disconnect from the audiences who go to see these movies. I went to see King Arthur which also had shit reviews and that was another really watchable movie trashed by critics but liked by audiences.

Meier

The dude is all about promoting his products. His production team made this so he's very invested from a financial point of view, so no real surprise he's going all in.

Top Bottom