• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I regret buying Mario Kart 8D physical

heringer

My issue is that I'm always playing Zelda, so if I want to play Mario Kart I have to keep changing the cartridges. It's ok if I'm willing to play one hour or more of MK, but if I just want to do a quick race I usually don't even bother. I think I would be playing a lot more if it was digital. Funny how something simple like that can change my gaming habits.

I'm considering selling my physical version to buy the game digitally, if I feel like I'll be playing it for years.

Anyone else shares similar feelings?

edit: to people shouting "LAZY!", think about it for a second. Are you lazy because you like having a remote control to change the channel on your TV? Are you lazy because you like unlocking your phone with your fingerprints instead of typing the code?

TheExodu5

Banned
I went all digital a long time ago. It definitely makes it easy to switch between games quickly. It also makes it harder to focus on one game.

Velurian

I would be waaay too lazy to physically change games. Also keeping the physical collection in an order is a full time job. No thanks :)

Imagine getting sick of your digital mk 8 deluxe...
Now what ?

I only buy games that I know I will play and once I have got 10+h of gametime out of the game, I have no regerets and feel the developer has deserved my hard earned money.
Steam on pc is very cool in that sense, that you can refund a game if you have under 2h of gametime. Sadly I dont think other digital stores have that possibility :(

thedan001

I had the same thoughts myself but the idea of physical having high resale value and being able to allow family and friends try out games by using my cartridges was enough to stay physical myself

My issue is that I'm always changing shoes, so if I want to wear sneakers I have to keep untying the laces then retying another pair. It's ok if I'm just going to work, but if I just want to go to the gym after I just don't bother. I think I would be working out a lot more if it was velcro. Maybe I'm just too lazy. Funny how something simple like that can change my habits.

I'm considering selling my entire shoe collection to buy velcro, if I feel like I'll be walking for years.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I got a Switch just yesterday and I feel this pain. I don't mind swapping them out for a quick race, but I haven't got the nails to open the cartridge flap, nor the kickstand.

This is why I bought a 200GB sd card. Switching carts is a nuisance on a portable device.

Yep, especially once you start factoring in travel. I know it's not that big of a deal, but once you adjust to switching games on the fly whenever you want, it's hard to go back.

Imagine getting sick of your digital mk 8 deluxe...

Now what ?

I see your point, but choosing MK8 as the example is hard to follow... It might be the best kart racer of all time, and having it on the go with you no matter where you are is a perfect example of why the Switch kills with the right software.

entremet

Other than Zelda, I've been all digital on Switch. Carts on portable systems seems incredibly inconvenient. I learned my lesson with the 3DS/Vita.

eXistor

I would be waaay too lazy to physically change games. Also keeping the physical collection in an order is a full time job. No thanks :)

This sounds like a joke so much (I assume it is), but this is truth for so many people.

You are joking right?

TheChamp

Only buy physical games, like the option to sell/return broken games instead of being stuck with them and having no refund option

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Some go-to regular mp games like mk, smash, arms and splatoon I prefer to just keep installed on the system

True Fire

I like digital games (I'm mostly digital only on PS4) but in the case of Switch I really like collecting the red boxes. Oh well.

WillyFive

My issue is that I'm always changing shoes, so if I want to wear sneakers I have to keep untying the laces then retying another pair. It's ok if I'm just going to work, but if I just want to go to the gym after I just don't bother. I think I would be working out a lot more if it was velcro. Maybe I'm just too lazy. Funny how something simple like that can change my habits.

I'm considering selling my entire shoe collection to buy velcro, if I feel like I'll be walking for years.

Don't be stupid.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I don't, because then I couldn't have sold it. I guess I wasn't down to play the same mario kart I played years ago on the go.

playXray

Yeah, but then what are you going to do when you want to resell your old shoes? Velcro has no resale value so you're stuck with them forever, but laced shoes can be resold when you're finished using them.

This is why I bought a 200GB sd card. Switching carts is a nuisance on a portable device.

Yup, this. I bought Zelda physical and everything else will be digital. It's so easy to archive games you won't be playing anymore too (like Mr. Shifty).

Luminaire

This is why I went digital. Mario Kart is a game I'd keep with the system through it's lifespan and would likely come back to again and again. I say this as someone who often prefers physical whenever possible.

Cleve

I feel the same way about all these clothes I have with zippers and buttons. :(

I'm considering switching to a wardrobe consisting entirely of sweatpants and tshirts.

Raptomex

An inconvenience? Sure. But I'd rather own physical copies. I don't sell my games so I'm quite happy I own the cartridge. If it ever went on sale, like a significant sale, I might buy the digital copy.

Velurian

This sounds like a joke so much (I assume it is), but this is truth for so many people.
You are joking right?

I am not, my library 1000+... with people coming over, couch evets etc it would be impossible to guarantee that all discs are in good condition and in correct boxes/places...

Yeah. I went digital with it. Makes sense for a game that I will go back to at random like I do with Mario Kart.

Indelible

I'am glad I bought it physical, was able to trade in a few old games to basically get it for free. I will put up with the inconvenience of switching carts if I can get a good deal.

breakfuss

Just woke up and read this lololololol.

I made a similar thread a few months back OP. Prepare to be mocked mercilessly by folk here who have some sort of disturbing emotional attachment to boxes and shit. I feel you, though. As time progresses I'm less inclined to buy physical. It's just too freaking annoying switching out and half the time I find myself neglecting my physical games. Still a little of wary of digitally committing to Nintendo though.

NeonBlack

You just swap the cartridges. It's not like it has to download the entire Game every time.

Plus, this is Nintendo. Do you really want to put your digital future in there hands?

dose

I am not, my library 1000+... with people coming over, couch evets etc it would be impossible to guarantee that all discs are in good condition and in correct boxes...
Seriously? I have a large library but never have a problem. Changing a cart over is too much effort? lol.

I'm considering selling my physical version to buy the game digitally, if I feel like I'll be playing it for years.

You are lazy. Changing a cartridge isn't that hard. But it's also no problem, sell it and buy the digital version. If it does affect you to the point you open a thread for it: do it asap and be happy.

And yes, digital is more comfortable. For multiplayergames etc. i would even consider it. But normally I prefer retail, so I can sell games if I want to and have something of real worth and a box to hold in my hand.

SomTervo

Switch is the only console i have that i don't regret going all digital on

Carrying and swapping carts while on the move is just the hugest ball ache

D.Lo

Physical is great for single player adventure games. One I finish I Am Setsuna I will take it out and move on.

But yeah MK would be great to have on hand at all times without cart changing.

I'll be getting Splatoon and any eventual Animal Crossing digital.

zigg

I made a similar thread a few months back OP. Prepare to be mocked mercilessly by folk here who have some sort of disturbing emotional attachment to boxes and shit.
Dear God, man, we're talking about toys here. You don't need to pretend to psychoanalyze people who have different priorities than you do.

Velurian

Seriously? I have a large library but never have a problem. Changing a cart over is too much effort? lol.

Try to have a house full of children once and a while... or maybe you keep your games a vault in a filing cabinet... I tried physical a long time ago and never again...
Digial is just totally hassle free and I get to keep my games. I am happy to support the developers that have given me hours of great entertainment so I decided long ago to never sell my games and always support good developers/ideas.
I also think that that second hand games are not good for the industry but I totally understand people who don't agree. I think its a little better then piracy maybe :) But that's a different discussion. I just pointed it out to highlight that hence for me the resale value of a physical copy does not exist.I dont want to be a dick about it and I totally understand people who need to sell some games to buy new ones and I do think that game pricing in different regions can be very unfair. So its a difficult topic to cover so I dont intend to in this thread.

I'll probably be going mostly digital for my Switch. Games like Mario Kart 8D, which is a title that I will probably never sell, work best for digital. I've got Zelda physical, but that's only because I got a discount for pre-ordering on Amazon.

Top Bottom