• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone - alternate path gameplay | E3 2017

Loudninja

Days Gone - PS4 Gameplay | E3 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjnyqAXiV0o

Days Gone: Developer Walkthrough - IGN Live: E3 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk9CDZ6RdV0

Gamespot/Kinda Funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwHeh8TYVks&feature=youtu.be

Kinda Funny Close door impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXKUjppaSOw&feature=youtu.be

Easy Allies impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZTrg30ItDg&feature=youtu.be&t=43m34s

One of the biggest things to note is the Time of Day and Weather systems that Bend has implemented, as it turns out, these things make how you play out a particular scenario much different. During presentations this week we saw the same segments played a few times and it was clear that things were vastly different just due to the weather. For example, rain can dampen sound, Snow can make visibility issues, and Freakers are stronger in the snow and usually are in greater numbers. Time of day also drives the density of the horde and as everything in the High Desert of Oregon follows a realistic ecosystem, the various creatures also follow what would be considered normal patterns when it comes to looking for prey/food, etc.
These two systems help create dynamic events, where there is no way to predict what can happen, comparing experiences with friends will be different based on what's happened in your particular story versus theirs. Bend has likened Days Gone to as ”brutal test of survival", where only very few of the encounters are scripted and anything can happen. Let a Runner chase you too long? He might knock you off your motorcycle. Even sound can be dangerous: make the wrong kind of sound and you can have humans, creatures, or the horde after you, or make a strategically placed sound and you could have the horde take out enemies for you.

Play it how you want, and the game will respond to your play style, but remember, when in doubt: Run. Your chances of surviving a horde fight without a massive amount of stamina and weaponry is very, very slim.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/0...-apocalyptic-high-desert-in-days-gone/261671/

Looking closely at the newest gameplay we can confirm a few game mechanics. The first is Deacon's bike as an expanded storage bank as well as a transportation system. You will only be able to carry limited weapons and supplies as you tackle obstacles but you can store equipment in your bike and outfit yourself in between encounters.
Between the two demos, we have seen axes, bats, pipes, glass bottles, Molotov cocktails, beartraps, explosives, makeshift silencers, and a range of guns. The game encourages sandbox combat where challenges and objectives can be approached multiple ways. Day's Gone will also feature a real-time crafting system. Players can create traps and weapons as they play without breaking the flow of the gameplay.
https://dvsgaming.org/e3-2017-days-gone/

VeeP

I haven't watched too much of the game, but from the footage I've scene it looks really good. The weather looks great, and I really like how that'll affect how you can approach missions.

I watched the kinda funny reaction video and my attention is increasing on this. It looks like a good game but it sounds like that you need an hour with the game to see how interesting it is.

David___

Banned
I'm amazed they're able to get so many freakers on the screen at once

Edit: Also like they're focusing on the emergent gameplay aspect.

Neat, I remember it being talked about last night but didn't know we'd actually get footage of another way to play the demo.

I'm amazed they're able to get so many freakers on the screen at once

Edit: Also like they're focusing on the emergent gameplay aspect.

Yeah, I like that they are doing that and that the bike indeed burns fuel and stuff like that.

MCD250

Feel like the depth, breadth and variety of opportunities for emergent gameplay that they end up offering is what will make or break this game. If they manage to make that aspect of the game very rich, then it could turn out to be something special. We'll see.

I hope not, but the fact that they didn't give a year yet is certainly worrying. We'll see though.

Sony said they're going to be much more cautious about giving dates from now on. So, this very well could launch next year, but they aren't going to say it is right now until Bend are confident that it can make it.

I was afraid that it was scripted from the first video, the fact that it's not make it very promising. Definitely one of the three games i am waiting the most. So sad no co-op though :(

Exciting, raised my interest in the game, but I remain cautious. The AI is dumber than I thought. In one of the videos, the dude goes on another route and start sniping them (which they should allow you to go prone for increased stability in the aim as opposed to crouching or standing, but I digress). After the first shot, the dudes within earshot just continue doing their own thing like nothing happened, only after 3 or 4 shots they started reacting.

SSReborn

Games getting hated on for no reason honestly. Reminds of the original Tomb Raider reboot.

In terms of what was shown it looks pretty cool they seem to be offering a lot of ways to play through encounters seems like there are so many possibilities!

Loudninja

Games getting hated on for no reason honestly. Reminds of the original Tomb Raider reboot.

In terms of what was shown it looks pretty cool they seem to be offering a lot of ways to play through encounters seems like there are so many possibilities!
Yeah some very cool stuff just in the small demo.

BeeDog

Will probably turn out to be a fun game! I hope they polish up the animation (blending) though, looks rough and jarring in many places; TLoU, which shares a similar aesthetic, runs laps around this in the animation department.

Loudninja

Will probably turn out to be a fun game! I hope they polish up the animation (blending) though, looks rough and jarring in many places; TLoU, which shares a similar aesthetic, runs laps around this in the animation department.
Vastly bigger scope.

Yeah but I agreed some of the animations need work.

Electret

The alternate footage is definitely interesting.

Crafting, resource collection, and another improvisational approach to using the freakers against humans at 9:50.

I can understand why some would be underwhelmed or skeptical, but I think the game has potential depending on how robust the player agency and emergent mechanics are.

alt27

This has gone way up in my interested list. Especially that kinda funny video, with the dynamic weather, different AI reactions, RPG skill trees, choice of combat approach.

Now on my radar for sure.

Loudninja

So the weather has good and bad effects.The freakers are stronger in the cold but their are no wolves.

Lots of different skills trees you can level up.

Wagram

This game is going to be so good. Loved listening to Bloodworth's impressions of the demo shown to the press.

JusDoIt

I know we're all bored with zombie apocalypses, but anybody who can't put the setting aside and see a dope ass game here has lost their inner child.

Dredd97

sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest impressions..

like fuelling up the bike, you can imagine a scenario now of running out of fuel and having to scavenge in really dangerous country to find the fuel for your bike... like you say emergent gameplay..

Looks phenomenal, but the wording from the dev at the end indicates it's a 2019 game :(

Man. How is that even possible? They announced it last year, so I would assume they had been working on it a little while at that point. I feel like ~4 years to work on a new IP is a long time.

MattAces

sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest impressions..

like fuelling up the bike, you can imagine a scenario now of running out of fuel and having to scavenge in really dangerous country to find the fuel for your bike... like you say emergent gameplay..

Press option, select the last option, open up the premium shop, Fuel $0.99

Man. How is that even possible? They announced it last year, so I would assume they had been working on it a little while at that point. I feel like ~4 years to work on a new IP is a long time.

They are a small team working on such vast game, also they are slowly expanding and moving to a new bigger office soon!

MattAces

now i somehow don't think they're gonna do such a shitty thing.. even if I know you were being sarcastic about it :)

I'm just a huge huge huge fan of games that pushes the concept of dangerous world. Scavenging parts, fuel, constantly being threatened by everything, crafting, open world.
Really enjoy State of Decay, but the game never provides the feeling of being threatened, so Days Gone is easily my top 3 most anticipated game.

SpokkX

The openness seems cool..

... but

In EVERY other way it looks and feels like a TLOU clone. You even craft stuff in the same way. That sneak-scene could have BEEN TLOU..

Kind of dampens all the good stuff imo.. they really should have gone with an original setting

Kalentan

... but

In EVERY other way it looks and feels like a TLOU clone. You even craft stuff in the same way. That sneak-scene could have BEEN TLOU..

Kind of dampens all the good stuff imo.. they really should have gone with an original setting

Not sure where else they could have gone. The setting they picked and how it's weather patterns are ties into the AI and such of the world.

They would have had to either abandon it or heavily change it.

Really impressive game. I honestly dont understand why people like to compare it to TLOu.

This is fully open world. Its closer to GTA then TLOU

Loudninja

... but

Watch the Kinda Funny video.

Alot of games got crafting it actually more like HZD in that respect.

Looks phenomenal, but the wording from the dev at the end indicates it's a 2019 game :(

Nah, I have to assume this game's coming out next year. Specially after 2 gameplay trailers, this game looks pretty much done (then again being an ambitious open world is not doing them any favors, specially since they are small). Most likely a Q3 2018 game. Worst case scenario would be Q1 2019 if they need more time. But that would put it dangerously close to TLOU 2.

Foxxsoxx

Really hope they get the funding and love to make this something great. Also hope they do their part and make this something memorable. A lot of potential here Bend. You got this.

Top Bottom