• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How The Day Before became one of gaming's biggest (and most successful) scams

ManaByte

Gold Member
_1nFabox_400x400.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I did not know about their shadow marketing for the Teams style app, and all those empty offices lol.

What a fucking scam.

Long-form video on Hassan next.

SJRB

Gold Member
Worth a watch, and notice just how many times IGN comes up. IGN just kept on giving this game coverage over and over.

Insane amount of exposure for this game through IGN.

If only they had some actual journalists who could've looked into this game after the second "too good to be true" trailer.

But hey, gotta get those clicks, I suppose.

DaGwaphics

I guess it was like the ultimate pump and dump for them. Hard to believe that only 90k bothered to grab the refund with how bad it was.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamers are an easy mark, I'm sad to say. Lots of them are easily influenced by flash and no substance.
Aside from things like needing to preorder concert or sports tix because of limited stadium seating, or putting down a deposit to buy a brand new house that has to be built, how many other products are there out there where people put down preorder money for something that doesn't even run out like digital games? How often do the disc copies even run out? But for gamers, it's preorder mania as if gaming will disappear tomorrow.

Also, with the internet all a gamer has to do is wait for day one reviews to see if a game is good. It's not like the old days where you had to flip through magazines and hope the game you want is reviewed that month before launch. On one hand you're itching for a new cartridge, but there's no reviews yet. What to do? Now, a game launches and at noon there's like 30 reviews up, plus Youtubers amped up to upload their videos after dinner.

Yet some reason gamers cant just chill out and wait 24 hours to buy a game after sifting through info.

skit_data

That Teams ripoff thing they had going is so damn wierd. Even wierder to try to push that shit in exchange for info on the game.

TwinB242

The sad part is they will actually end up making some money on the game. A bunch of people won't bother going through the process of getting a refund.

Last edited:
There are multiple lessons to be learned here, but one very important lesson should be learned by Ubisoft:

People are still clamoring for a new Division game set in a sprawling Urban/City environment.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't watch ShillUp but how was this successful? I mean once refunds and all that clear realistically how much money isgoing to the devs? The game shut down in like 4 days.

Top Bottom