• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis - Review Thread

Kotaku:
Ever Oasis is an intriguing blend of genres that serves as an interesting proof of concept, but is far too bland and repetitive to be a classic of the ARPG genre. And that’s too bad, because after a spate of similarly disappointing entries in the Mana series, I was hoping this spiritual successor would be better. I plodded through it, searching and searching for some kind of respite, something that broke out of the game’s loop of busywork. I never found it. As with most oases, this one turned out to be a mirage.

http://kotaku.com/ever-oasis-the-kotaku-review-1796305561

Nintendo World Report - 9:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/44897/ever-oasis-3ds-review

Cubed3 - 9:
Ever Oasis is a masterfully crafted piece of gaming software that manages to introduce a lot of original town management elements into an action RPG without feeling overwhelming or too hard to understand even for younger audiences, all while offering a solid experience gameplay-wise, as well as visually and audibly. Its touching story and loveable characters, coupled with the smooth combat and puzzle mechanics, only further enhance what is already an excellent experience on Nintendo 3DS.

http://www.cubed3.com/review/3971/1/ever-oasis-nintendo-3ds.html

Destructoid - 8.5:
There are issues with the game, but honestly, I think Ever Oasis is a blast. Building up my little spot of heaven, running errands for the residents, and venturing out into the great sandy plains outside my garden gate provide equal thrills. The longer I play, the more I enjoy it and that is far more uncommon than it should be. If this game is to be the first of a new franchise, it’s a damn good starting point.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-ever-oasis-443545.phtml

Game Informer:
The final product is a unique RPG experience that doesn’t have a lot of character, but is able to deliver a consistently compelling adventure. I never got the sense that the world was alive, but I enjoyed exploring, fighting monsters, watching my town grow, and making sure my residents were happy.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/e...017/06/22/ever-oasis-game-informer-3ds-review

Paste Magazine - 7.2:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/the-cheery-ever-oasis-brings-life-to-your-3ds.html

The Sixth Axis - 7:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/06/22/ever-oasis-review/

US Gamer - 7:
I ended up charmed and pleasantly surprised—both pleased by its polish and amused by how sickeningly sweet it could be. Taken a little further, it might have been up there with the best of the 3DS. But as it is, it's a pleasant little snack in the midst of a year that is rapidly becoming a feast for RPG fans.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/ever-oasis-nintendo-3ds-review

Makonero

Nintendo World Report's review lines up with my expectations...now do I get this tomorrow or do I wait and get the New 2DS XL and play it then?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I line up pretty well with Destructoid's opinions, so I'm excited. I've wanted a city-builder like this for a long time.

takoyaki

US Gamer (by Kat Bailey) 3.5/5
I ended up charmed and pleasantly surprised—both pleased by its polish and amused by how sickeningly sweet it could be. Taken a little further, it might have been up there with the best of the 3DS. But as it is, it's a pleasant little snack in the midst of a year that is rapidly becoming a feast for RPG fans.

boromi

Neo Member
I'm really rooting for this game to receive the best notes/sales possible.

I'm in the middle of my playthrough for the review and I'm having a blast. Ever Oasis is just so freakin' refreshing while maintaining some challenge. Visuals are great (the designs!), audio is ok (not too memorable, just ok) and the game design is just wonderful. New mechanics are introduced gradually and there is really plenty of them to discover. The community is vivid and while yes, the writing is pretty shallow, every characters' personality is well distinguished.

Sadly, the demo failed to fully present its potential and quality.

ReitStuff

This game is getting zero buzz at all. Oh well, looks good and early reviews seem positive enough. Will def be getting this.

revyb

Neo Member
Reviewed it for App Trigger and very much enjoyed the game.. Gave it an 8/10:

Ever Oasis can be categorized firmly as a feel-good title for almost all stripes: cute characters, compelling gameplay that can be toned down as necessary for an easier, more relaxing experience, or explored to the extent of its combat complexities and challenge dungeons. Supplemented by a beautiful score and packed with sidequests and replayability, Ever Oasis proves a sorely-needed bit of refreshment for 3DS owners waiting for a title they can get lost in.

The demo made this a hard pass for me, which is a shame. It felt like a less interesting version of Fantasy Life with an infinite number of meters to fill.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This game is getting zero buzz at all. Oh well, looks good and early reviews seem positive enough. Will def be getting this.

It's a game from a small developer in a niche genre on a platform that everyone is bitching and moaning about existing, not surprised that it's getting no buzz.

ramparter

Banned
Pity they didn't work on a new Zelda game instead using OoT/MM 3D engine. Or you know a reimagining of an other Zelda title a la Samus Returns.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm torn on this one. Words like 'bland' and 'repetitive' turn me off hard, but I'm thinking the physical version of this game won't be heavily produced.

It's a game from a small developer in a niche genre on a platform that everyone is bitching and moaning about existing, not surprised that it's getting no buzz.

I just hope they get another chance as I don't expect this game to do particularly well (unfortunately).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hmm...that looks fun looking at the GameExplain analysis. But games like this tend to end up being a bit too overwhelming for me and I just quit like with Fantasy Life.

Some fairly nice reviews. I'm going in not expecting anything revelatory, but rather something charming to fiddle with during the odd downtime during upcoming visit to inlaws.... hopefully fits that bill.

Jhoan

I expected reviews to be a bit polarizing so I'm surprised to learn that it's mostly positive. The music and writing seem to be the most ho hum parts of it but the bottom line seems to be that if you liked Fantasy Life but wish it had more Animal Crossing stuff, this is the game that scratches that itch. I will still check it out at some point because I feel like this is going to be an underrated gem that few people will talk about in the future.

mas8705

After playing the demo, I really want to give this game a fair shot. Getting alot of Fantasy Life vibes from it, which I enjoyed as well.

WonderzL

Banned
Cool game, but wrong time. Miitopia, Hey Pikmin, Yo-kai Watch 2, Monster Hunter Stories and this are being sent to die. :/ Only Metroid looks to be pushing numbers

Chaos17

It's from the creator of Secret of Mana serie, he has gone indy they said last year at E3 but seems everyone forgot about it because it's not branded SquareEnix >.>

The demo reminds me a bit of Fantasy Life, and that's really not my kind of game ;(
Fantasy Life is my favorite game on 3DS!

DataGhost

It's from the creator of Secret of Mana serie, he has gone indy they said last year at E3 but seems everyone forgot about it because it's not branded SquareEnix >.>

Oh I did not know that. Still picking it up regardless because it's a fun looking game

Doorman

Decent scores so far! It's sounding like the game is pretty solidly-made but reviewers are mixed on the sim-heavy elements of it. I wasn't expecting this to set the world on fire but as long as it works as a nice palate-cleanser game I think it'll be fine, and it sounds like it'll fit that need well.

It'd be nice to see this do well enough to maybe get a more expansive sequel, I think the game's overall character could really shine with higher-res models and sharp color. And good on Grezzo for getting the capital to take a shot on a new IP, rather than being forever relegated to up-porting other people's games.

Galang

Banned
I really hope this isn't the last we see of this series... but great scores so far. Secret of Grindea has been the only game with similar gameplay that I've enjoyed since the original mana series. Need more of these :(

DataGhost

I really hope this isn't the last we see of this series... but great scores so far. Secret of Grindea has been the only game with similar gameplay that I've enjoyed since the original mana series. Need more of these :(

Agreed. Especially with the life sim part.

CazTGG

It doesn't help that it's been roughly a decade since we got a good traditional Mana game since that series keeps changing up the core gameplay to the point of them being unrecognizable as a Mana game (and boring at that)...or putting out abysmal remakes.

The game looks great, and these are pretty decent scores. I'm pretty excited to pick it up tomorrow. It's basically the Mana game Square refuses to make nowadays.

So far, the scores are looking decent. I have high hopes for this series. I've been craving an RPG like this. I really want this to do well.

Kayhan

Love the cover.

H2x1_3DS_EverOasis.jpg

Top Bottom