• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis - Review Thread

Nintenleo

Shit, didn't expect a 80+ Metacritic.

Guess it's gonna be a nice little gem to enjoy on 3DS while waiting for September.

hongcha

I was going to get this (I'm a big Mana fan), then I read the Kotaku review... it doesn't sound like my type of game. It sounds a lot like Fantasy Life, actually, and I hated that game.

Instro

This game is getting zero buzz at all. Oh well, looks good and early reviews seem positive enough. Will def be getting this.

A Grezzo new IP that Nintendo has put minimal marketing behind, and is being launched on the 3DS which is entirely being overshadowed by new hardware now. Not uncommon for a late gen release, which is unfortunate because I think a new IP on new hardware would have had a better chance at success.

bronk

Banned
I didnt like Fantasy Life at all but I still wanna try this. Guess ill give the demo a shot. Glad it's getting good reviews though.

ramparter

Banned
A Grezzo new IP that Nintendo has put minimal marketing behind, and is being launched on the 3DS which is entirely being overshadowed by new hardware now. Not uncommon for a late gen release, which is unfortunate because I think a new IP on new hardware would have had a better chance at success.

They could have released along with New 2DS to give it more spotlight maybe. The thing with Ever Oasis is that it feels like this is a random 3rd party game, not a Nintendo title. Reminds me of Code Name Steam.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That Kotaku review tells me what I feared, that there's an awful lot of RNG going on with the gameplay. The residents and their quests didn't feel interesting and the oasis is basically the meat and potatoes of the game. What's worse it sounds like the randomization effects the dungeons later on as well.

I'm hoping they make a more traditional ARPG after this instead.

That Kotaku review tells me what I feared, that there's an awful lot of RNG going on with the gameplay. The residents and their quests didn't feel interesting and the oasis is basically the meat and potatoes of the game. What's worse it sounds like the randomization effects the dungeons later on as well.

Yeah, it's very disappointing to read. This is not what I had hoped for. Might still get it down the line by my interest has really dropped off.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Our (not mine) review:

Switchitalia.it: 8/10

English summary: "Ever Oasis reveals itself as a convincing new IP, with already seen mechanics put together in a magical and lovely way. Its particual structure allows you to tailor the depth of the experience around your own playstyle, sharing the message that to create an oasis, all you need is a seed to care about".

The demo turned me off it. It felt like a fetch-quest-fest. Every area was very small, and the music was disappointingly bad. I liked the visuals and general idea though.

But as it stands, I'd rather just play more Fantasy Life than buy this.

takoyaki

Eurogamer - no score
Much as Nintendo might claim political ideas are for other developers to explore, its themes of compassion and inclusiveness feel particularly timely. Here is a game that not only emphasises the value of reaching out to other races and cultures during times of turmoil, but allows you to witness the tangibly positive effects their contributions can have. Moment to moment, Ever Oasis never quite matches the power of its message, but perhaps it's worth looking past the occasional nuisance to be part of a world that embraces outsiders as warmly as its own. If that's not too old-fashioned, of course.

ReitStuff

I don't understand the Opencritic page for this game. It says that it's gotten "strong" reviews, ranked in the top 30% of games, but that only 48% of critics recommend this game. How is that possible?

mindatlarge

The demo turned me off it. It felt like a fetch-quest-fest. Every area was very small, and the music was disappointingly bad. I liked the visuals and general idea though.

But as it stands, I'd rather just play more Fantasy Life than buy this.
From what I've read, the game really opens up after 5 or 6 hours. Kinda a slow start but really takes off and shines.

Linkura

I'm confused, I reread the Kotaku review and they don't mention anything about RNG.

de_reddy

Neo Member
I really want to play it, like now, but have a few unfinished games on my burner. How long does it take, can I complete it in a few long sittings as an intermezzo? Playing fantasy life made some of my best 3ds memories.

Top Bottom