• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You walk into an alternate timeline movie theatre with one ticket... what do you see?

You walk into a movie theatre from an alternate timeline and you get to watch one film that almost happened in our timeline. Which is it?

For the purpose of the thread, we'll play it fast and loose with the word "almost", so as long as someone noteworthy in Hollywood wanted to make it happen, or considered making it happen, it's good. Just nothing straight up made up that no one was ever talking about even casually.

Some examples:
- The Beatles and Stanley Kubrick's The Lord of the Rings (Paul as Frodo, Ringo as Sam, George as Gandalf, and John as Gollum)
- The Phantom Menace, written by Lawrence Kasdan and direct by Spielberg or Howard or Zemeckis
- David Lynch's Revenge of the Jedi

Bonus points for deep dives.

Personally, I'm going to have to with TPM from Spielberg and Kasdan, partly because I'm sad we'll never get a Spielberg Star Wars, and partly because man, I can't help but wonder how the prequel trilogy would have changed with that foundation. Plus, recreating the team that made Raiders?

(Though part of me will always be curious to know what James Cameron's Jurassic Park would have been like, even if I know I'd still like Spielberg's better.)

Platy

I am in a mix of the absolute trainwreck that would have been James Cameron's Spider-Man or a more sure thing like Wright's Ant Man

Matsukaze

supermanlives2.0.0.jpg

Cameron and Scott's Alien 5 collaboration that Cameron was writing. Was going to star Sigourney and co-Star Schwarzenegger.

But real answer is Cameron's BATTLE ANGEL. If he decided to move forward with that instead of Avatar when he was deciding between both.

subrock

The Life and Death of Donald Trump

Aronfsky's Robocop

edit: I got too excited and didn't see the "no made up movies" so I changed my answer

retroman

Bruce Lee died before he could finish Game Of Death. I'd like to see his completed version of the movie instead of Robert Clouse's bastardization.

jdstorm

Banned
Westside Story staring Elvis Presley.

Bonus. Speed staring Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts. You just know it would suck.

Kubrick's Aryan Papers.

I read the book he used as source material and it wasn't anything special, but source material often means jack shit to Kubrick.

Luc Besson offered to direct episode 1 for Lucas.

I am talking about PEAK LUC BESSON with Epic Serra scoring and Jean Reno supporting.

edot: oh shit I forgot Sergio Leone was going to make another epic set in Russia before he died. Like a "Once Upon a Time in Russia" Fuck Star Wars I want this more!

jdstorm

Banned
The underrated Star Wars Prequel what if's are definitely

What if Michael Jackson had been Jar Jar Binks (Lucas Turned him Down)

What if Leonardo DiCaprio or Chris Hemsworth were cast as Anakin Skywalker.

Then again we already got Episode 2: The Dark World and it was bad so...

Kubrick's Napoleon

Kubrick's Aryan Papers.

I read the book he used as source material and it wasn't anything special, but source material often means jack shit to Kubrick.

Yup, pretty much anything Kubrick shelved. I don't think he ever seriously considered directing A.I., but that too.

I also don't think he was completely finished with Eyes Wide Shut before his death. I want to see what tweaks he would have made... especially with the knowledge of how it was officially released.

explodet

I have a mild curiosity about how Terry Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote would have turned out back in 2002.

The underrated Star Wars Prequel what if's are definitely

What if Michael Jackson had been Jar Jar Binks (Lucas Turned him Down)

What if Leonardo DiCaprio or Chris Hemsworth were cast as Anakin Skywalker.

Then again we already got Episode 2: The Dark World and it was bad so...

DiCaprio Anakin is a good one that blew me away when I heard George wanted him. Like, he's exactly who I would imagine playing a young Vader.

I swear to god, while everyone always remarks about the Prequel-era "yes men", if the people George actually wanted had actually said yes, they could have been amazing.

Geist-

Blomkamp's Alien 3 could have been cool.

Could have been shit too, but I would want to see it anyway.

ryseing

Miller's Justice League with Adam Brody Flash and Armie Hammer Batman, and Jay Baruchel as the main villain.

Would have been a damn trainwreck, but the action would have been good.

Top Bottom