• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fantastic Four will no longer be available to purchase in Marvel Heroes

Link.
Starting on July 1, 2017, the following Heroes will no longer be available to purchase with Gs: Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Thing, Human Torch, and Silver Surfer. You will have until Wednesday (6/28) at 2:00PM PDT to purchase those heroes with Eternity Splinters. This change will also affect all costumes for those characters as well as Future Foundation costumes for other characters. See below for the full list. Please note that this upcoming change will not affect Doctor Doom, who will remain as a playable Villain and maintain his role in the game’s story campaign.

Under Gazillion’s renewed licensing agreement we do not have the rights to continue selling these characters moving forward. However, players who have already purchased or unlocked any of these affected characters and costumes before July 1 will be able to them continue playing them as usual.
There's a list of the costumes in the link that will also be affected from this.

This is super important to keep this in mind as this no doubt pretty much solidifies that the F4, with the exception of Doom and other F4 villains, will not be in MvC:I and any future Marvel games.

Neoxon

What about the X-Men?
RIP once more F4.

They just got some mutants in the game, right?
The X-Men are fine. Marvel's slowly reeling back on that ban, with Marvel Future Fight being the first to benefit from the change. Avengers Academy is rumored to follow, & MvCI is supposedly gonna get X-Men DLC at a later date (the change was likely too late for the base roster). Unfortunately, Marvel's change-of-heart on the X-Men seems to have come at the cost of them doubling down on the F4 part of the ban.

X-Men seem to be fine although I'm expecting Marvel to just give us Wolverine and/or Deadpool as the sole characters to represent the X-Men.

Neoxon

X-Men seem to be fine although I'm expecting Marvel to just give us Wolverine and/or Deadpool as the sole characters to represent the X-Men.
In what, Marvel Heroes? The game already has a ton of X-Men from before the other games got hit with bans. It's the license renewal that's fucking everything up on the F4 side of things.

In what, Marvel Heroes? The game already has a ton of X-Men from before the other games got hit with bans. It's the license renewal that's fucking everything up on the F4 side of things.

I meant in other games. I'm looking at it on a business side. Do you put in the X-Men or put in one or two X-Men characters and use the rest for MCU characters?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ah. Obviously it's too late for MvCI & Lego Marvel 2, but I'd imagine that we'll get a little more X-Men representation in later games.

Its 2017. Its never too late with dlc.

Some would say its intended even.

At what point are Marvel going to realise that the brilliant "strategy" of not making any money from their big IPs is not stopping Fox from making money off them? They're never getting those film rights back, they'd be better off doing a deal with Fox where they both profit and then milk the shit out of X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise, games, comics etc.

Cracklox

Thats a shame. Never really been F4 fan, but I had fun with all of them in game. SS especially is great.

Oh well, at least I've got costumes I want for all of them before they disappear too.

I think this is the first time the games done anything like this as well. As in, discontinuing selling a certain hero(s)

At what point are Marvel going to realise that the brilliant "strategy" of not making any money from their big IPs is not stopping Fox from making money off them? They're never getting those film rights back, they'd be better off doing a deal with Fox where they both profit and then milk the shit out of X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise, games, comics etc.
Why should they? The F4 were never big money generators, and they would have to share profits with Fox vs. focusing on their own IPs that they fully control. Strangling the life out of your own IP is never a good idea, but it seems more of a negotiation ploy for Fox to play nice, and on the X-Men front it seems to have led to a TV coproduction deal that Marvel was happy with (and who knows what else was exchanged with that deal).

Fuck you Fox; just sell the goddamn rights back to Marvel. You're never going to make a good FF movie and you'll keep losing money on it out of spite.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fox is the absolute worst

everyone should love the F4 by now

FantasticFour_600_CoverQuesada.jpg

Silver Surfer is my favorite character from Marvel Heroes. His insane mobility transforms him into a silver wave of death that crashes across the screen. Definitely recommend grabbing him.

Ploid 3.0

I love the Sue costume I have, I guess I should blend all of the F4 and Surfer costumes before they take that away, if they take that away. As was mentioned in the OT, I have a feeling the F4+surfer characters will be neglected when it comes to updates and new omega gear. Why would they give them attention? They might as well start working on taking them out of the game.

Oh my god, I forgot I have the Thing's Fear Itself costume. It looks so good.

Edit: It's in Marvel's right not to promote characters that they won't benefit much from. Like one of the marvel guys said, why focus on characters they have less to gain from when they can focus on characters they fully own.

Sorry but no. This crap is all on Marvel and their petty BS not Fox

I mean, the reality is that both are to blame: Fox keeps fucking up the FF and refuses to sell the merchandising rights back to Marvel, so Marvel refuses to market them or produce any merchandise.

Either way, Fox aren't doing anything worthwhile with the series and haven't been able to make even a moderately decent film in a decade, so they should bloody well sell the rights back to Marvel who will actually use them!

True Fire

I think it's hilarious how the movies ruined Marvel. I don't even recognize the company anymore. It started off with Spider-Man's crazy editorial changes in the mid 2000s and it's gotten worse ever since.

And now Marvel is doing a DC Rebirth type of reboot, but they're rebooting without many of their iconic characters so it's more like the New 52

Top Bottom