• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venus Williams Involved in Fatal Crash in Florida (elderly passenger fatality)

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Venus Williams was involved in a car crash in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. on June 9 that resulted in a fatality, a spokesman for the police department there said.

The crash is still under investigation, said the spokesman, Maj. Paul Rogers, who declined to comment further. The website TMZ reported that Williams was found at fault, but her lawyer said she had not been.

”What we can say is that Palm Beach Gardens Police Department is currently conducting an investigation into a traffic crash involving Venus Williams," Rogers said.

According to TMZ's report, Jerome Barson, 78, was injured in the car, being driven by his wife, and died two weeks later.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/sports/tennis/venus-williams-crash-fatality.html

Damn...not sure what to say but I hope alcohol wasn't a factor. I'm assuming it isn't since she wasn't charge with a DUI. She's still expected to play next week in Wimbledon.

A lawyer for Williams, Malcolm Cunningham, released a statement on Thursday: ”Ms. Williams entered the intersection on a green light. The police report estimates that Ms. Williams was traveling at 5 mph when Mrs. Barson crashed into her."
this part seems pretty relevant.

Speevy

Banned
Holy crap. You really need to edit the title to make it clear that Venus Williams is not dead, first of all.

RIP to this person.

Second.

Jonah-Hill-Cut-It-Out.gif

NYR

The thread title is a direct copy from the article, give him a break.

My heart skipped a beat too, but it's not like he was trolling.

Here's an important part:

A lawyer for Williams, Malcolm Cunningham, released a statement on Thursday: “Ms. Williams entered the intersection on a green light. The police report estimates that Ms. Williams was traveling at 5 mph when Mrs. Barson crashed into her. Authorities did not issue Ms. Williams with any citations or traffic violations. This is an unfortunate accident and Venus expresses her deepest condolences to the family who lost a loved one.”

Man op that title lol

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Not sure why anyone would read that, assume she died and not feel like they were being silly when they realized it was not the case. It describes what happened accurately.

The title didn't confuse me. If Williams were the victim a more specific word than "involved in" would have been used I think.

Yup. My first thought when reading the title. If she was the victim, it would read something along the lines of "Venus Williams killed in car crash".

NYR

This actually might be the worst title to anything have I read on this fourm, and I have been here over a decade
Why? Because it is 100% accurate? It's poorly worded but it is true - Venus Williams was involved in an accident that led to a fatality. It's not like the title is "Venus Williams dead, Car Accident".

I seriously don't understand this post or why people are getting mad, can someone fill me in.

Also count me in as one of the people who thought it meant SHE died. RIP to the guy who DID die though.

Half of the complaints are also jokes.

Read a bit about tennis and you'll get them.

Speevy

Banned
"Involved" doesn't automatically discount the possibility of death when you use the word "fatal".

I mean, I can't think of a better title that respects what actually happened, but I don't blame anyone for thinking she died. Clearly I wasn't the only one.

entremet

I seriously don't understand this post or why people are getting mad, can someone fill me in.

Also count me in as one of the people who thought it meant SHE died. RIP to the guy who DID die though.

It's a tennis term. Venus is a pro tennis player.

Many posters here don't get dark humor. At all. It's rather innocent too.

Top Bottom