• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda, Plein Air, and the Sublime: The Influence of 19th . Painting on BoTW [56K!]

Dyle

One of the most striking elements of playing through Breath of the Wild was the way that I was constantly presented with grand vistas and natural scenery that reminded me time and time again of some of the great works of 19th century painting. So in this thread I'd like to compare BoTW to several schools of landscape and impressionist painting and see where the team at Nintendo drew their influences from.

Romantic Painting
Romantic thought was obsessed with the idea of the sublime, of being in the presence of some form of greatness or beauty that is incomprehensibly large or profound beyond human comprehension. The sublime encompasses everything from the inherent, albeit indescribable beauty of a flower to the terrifying power of a thunderstorm rolling through a valley, or to the view from a mountaintop in which there is more than can be noticed at once. We can find all of these in Zelda, but most obviously the final one, perceiving the world of Hyrule's immense size. Other examples of games that do a good job of capturing the sublime include Horizon, all of Ueda's games, and, at times, Minecraft. There are three schools of Romantic painting that I'll be pointing out, the Hudson River School, the Luminists, and European Romanticism.

The Hudson River School/Rocky Mountain School created highly detailed landscape paintings of largely imaginary places, creating an idealized sense of the American frontier as a land to be conquered through Manifest Destiny. Their works are large and painstakingly detailed, down to individual leaves on huge canvases, making their work more similar to Horizon's fantastic IQ, but you can definitely see similar landscapes in Zelda too.

Luminism took a similar approach, but focused on capturing the effects of sunlight in paint, often leading to a stunningly bright, washed out palette. This is one source of inspiration, alongside a similar use of color in French Impressionism, that led to BoTW's harsh sunlight. While I definitely agree that there are times when the colors become so washed out that it's hard to see what you're doing, I'm personally not a fan of the color corrections some people have posted because it loses this type of light altogether.

The final major romantic influence came in through European Romantic painters, most obviously Caspar David Friedrich's Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog, which Zelda pretty directly references with its title sequence.

French Impressionism
French Impressionism is the source for many elements of BoTW's visual style and symbolic references. This comes as no surprise given the long relationship between Japan and French Impressionism, starting with the French painters developing much of their composition from Japanese wood-block prints and in the 1980s with Japanese investors buying up all the Monets and Renoirs they could get their hands on and dramatically increasing the price of art at auction since. Breath of the Wild is not the first Zelda game to take cues from the Impressionists, but it does so in a way that not only effects the look of the game, but the feel. Skyward Sword's impressionist filter is the best part of that game's visuals, by essentially painting far away objects with broad brushstrokes, but due to the game's vibrant colors and the way the sky came off as a different watercolor style, it didn't hit as well as it could.
Breath of the Wild one-ups Skyward Sword by being fascinated with the same phenomena that Monet and company were, such as wind blowing through the grass, the change in sunlight's color and intensity throughout the day, and billowing smoke. What both lack in visual fidelity is made up for in shimmering movements that approximate the feel of being in a dynamic outdoor environment. Nintendo called Breath of the Wild an "open air game", which is both a silly way of not saying open-world and a clear indication of the influence of the Impressionists, who, armed with the first mass produced tubes of paint, were the first to go outside and paint "en plein air", in the open air.

Similarly were both the worlds of 1870s Paris and Hyrule cleaning up after tumultous times. The revolutions in the streets of Paris, combined with the Franco-Prussian war in 1870-1871, required a complete reconstruction of the city with wider streets, public parks, and railroad stations. Paris was a now a city that ran on two connected technologies, that of timekeeping which threatened to reduce daily life to mechanical tedium and steam engines which were noisy and filled districts with plumes of smoke and steam. What happened in Hyrule is essentially what many late 19th century Parisians were afraid of, that emerging technologies would end up doing more harm than good, that the smoke would billow out beyond the train stations and infect everyday life.
3725c8b7355462313868c112ca7feb09ea2bdc3b_hq.jpg
Pikango, the travelling painter, is another clue into BoTW's Impressionist influence, as he sets his easel outside a stable and paints away, although his paintings are comically mediocre.

Did I miss anything? Are there other games that draw as much influence from Impressionism and Romanticism, or other artistic movements?

Edit. Whoops, title is meant to be Zelda, Plein Air, and the Sublime: The Influence of 19th c. Painting on BoTW [56K!], sorry about that...

So you're telling me someone on Gaf actually views Games as an art form? Well I'll be.

I'm not so much as an art buff as you are, but what do you think of Okami and the way it shows its art? Also, try looking up or playing El Shadai

I adore the way the sun hits leaves in this game. The only thing that bugs me is under rain an orange sun reflection can have a nasty effect, the way the ground can be lit up in an unconvincing manner, and a few times the sunlight seems to be hitting the opposite side of the leaves its facing.

So if I'm facing the sun, the part of the leaves I see should be dark, but if I remember correctly it was jarring to see them bright.

AdanVC

Uffff art and videogames are my two biggest jams so this is an amazing comparison and one of the reasons I love BotW so much, it's like walking on a romantic painting.

I only clicked to try and work out what the actual fuck that title was supposed to mean.

Inside I found a magnificent OP. Well done.

jotun?

Ok, so when images are inside quotes they auto-shrink, and you have to click them to get them full size

But these images are also links, so clicking on them opens new tabs, which is annoying

Is there a way to expand the images without taking the hyperlink?

Moff

Thanks for putting this together, OP, Caspar David Friedrich is one of my favouriet painters and I even have the Wanderer on a wall in my bedroom, but I never made that connection.

BOTW is my game of the generation and stunningly beautiful, but I can't help but wonder what they might have done with stronger hardware.

Beautiful amazing OP. Great read that taught me a lot about the inspirations for BotW's art style.

Thanks very much for this! It's a beautiful game on its own, but seeing all of the real world parallels and inspirations makes it that much more fantastic.

tengiants

I appreciate the mini art history lesson, especially in the context of BotW. I don't really know anything about art history and I like these paintings. I will look into these referenced artists more.

entremet

Is anyone on GAF actually using 56K anymore?

LOL

I'd wager there are actual posters that don't even know what it means. They came of age in the broadband era.

Many GAFfers are like your old uncle telling same old joke over and over, expecting a laugh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When I took the corner and saw Hateno's walls and that spiral at the top I felt like I was in a fantasy painting.

2017030622515500-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

This isn't my photo, this is actually a much higher position than I was. I was coming from the ground through those trenches.

The game gives off a fantastic fantasy vibe which I haven't really had since I first saw the very first OOT screenshots from Japan.

Dyle

So you're telling me someone on Gaf actually views Games as an art form? Well I'll be.

I'm not so much as an art buff as you are, but what do you think of Okami and the way it shows its art? Also, try looking up or playing El Shadai

Okami HD is, imo, the best looking game ever made. No game thus far has managed to take on a distinct and historically significant art style so well and I would love to see another game try to take on sumi-e painting or ukiyo-e prints, because it could be done so much better now. El Shaddai is wild, hopefully someday I'll get to play it, but it's real hard to pin down exactly what I'd call it's visual style. I guess it's a psychedelic abstracted surrealism on drugs, but it's hard to put into a box

Is anyone on GAF actually using 56K anymore?

I doubt it, but Mobile Data warning is too long to fit in the title. Wouldn't want to make anyone waste a ton of data downloading a dozen 1080+ images.

I only clicked to try and work out what the actual fuck that title was supposed to mean.

Inside I found a magnificent OP. Well done.
Yeah... we'll call it a first thread slip up. If only 19th century would have fit in the title, I never would have screwed it up!

I appreciate the mini art history lesson, especially in the context of BotW. I don't really know anything about art history and I like these paintings. I will look into these referenced artists more.
Glad you enjoyed it. I might put together another post looking at the influence of Art Nouveau and Art Deco on Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. I almost did a term paper on Bayonetta my senior year, but I ran out of time and had to make it about Alphonse Mucha-inspired fan-art on Deviantart.

Nothing to add other than to say what a thoughtful, informative OP that was.

Very interesting stuff and the perfect way to help begin the healing process of a post-friday night hangover.

Thank you!

Ok, so when images are inside quotes they auto-shrink, and you have to click them to get them full size

But these images are also links, so clicking on them opens new tabs, which is annoying

Is there a way to expand the images without taking the hyperlink?

Right-click > View image

(Otherwise, if you click an image inside a quote doesn't it extend horizontally beyond the screen's size, meaning you have to scroll? :/)

Beautiful topic, OP. The thoughtfulness rather reflects the details that went into BotW, and while my study of art was scant, I did think of Romanticism. (I'm better versed in Romantic poetry!)

I find it interesting how much the idea of art - particularly paintings - has increasingly been an influence on the franchise. Skyward Sword had the effort to mimic the aesthetic style of paintings, and Breath of the Wild obviously has the landscape and framing of great works of art, but even A Link Between Worlds had a plot revolving around the ability to turn people into paintings. I wonder if it's an interest of Aonuma in particular, or just something generally shared by the development team.

Great work highlighting this stuff OP, really loving the particular examples and comparisons.

Opa-Pa

Fantastic thread OP, thank you! That was very informative and helped me see this game in a new light (I already thought the game was gorgeous, but this makes it even more impressive).

The beautiful vistas are indeed one of the highlights of BoTW. I was a big fan of Skyward Sword's look but this game is downright amazing. It's part of the reason I was so confused when people started to bash it on release for its "unimpressive visuals"... Weird, I legitimately think BoTW's art style and art direction make it the best looking Nintendo game ever and one of the most gorgeous games out there period.

Monet influence is my favorite in the game. When the game looked like the second to last screenshot in the OP in the Great Plataeu, I already admitted that this game has the best art style in the series. I really love green nature in paintings.

Dyle

Another thought is about how wildly different the inspirations for the visuals and music are. Almost everything on screen draws primarily upon pre-Modernist work, while the music is so strikingly Modern, especially in comparison to the series' previous osts. It all manages to fit together though, so I suppose it works.

I find it interesting how much the idea of art - particularly paintings - has increasingly been an influence on the franchise. Skyward Sword had the effort to mimic the aesthetic style of paintings, and Breath of the Wild obviously has the landscape and framing of great works of art, but even A Link Between Worlds had a plot revolving around the ability to turn people into paintings. I wonder if it's an interest of Aonuma in particular, or just something generally shared by the development team.

Great work highlighting this stuff OP, really loving the particular examples and comparisons.
I wonder if the work Miyamoto did for the 3DS guide for the Louvre had any influence on that. While these kind of paintings aren't at the Louvre, they're across the Seine at the Musee d'Orsay, perhaps that was part of original spark that led the Zelda team to move in this direction...

Amalthea

Banned
I feel like the games landscapes lean heavily towards arcadian pastoral style paintings (if that term even exists) wich I really loved.

EDIT: Some examples to show what I mean:

800px-cole_thomas_aquxcuuy.jpg

cole_cot025jku27.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What a great thread, I really do love how zelda seems to be getting a ton of influences from paintings nowadays, actually seeing these paintings essentially being animated does wonders.

Dyle

I feel like the games landscapes lean heavily towards arcadian pastoral style paintings (if that term even exists) wich I really loved.

I think the term you're looking for is Picturesque, think John Constable, Thomas Gainsborough, J.M.W. Turner's early work, but that's a very different side of Romantic landscapes, generally less dramatic and composed at human scale. There are definitely parts of BoTW that feel a bit like that, particularly Hateno Village. The color schemes are generally much darker and earthier than anything in BoTW, though

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/John_Constable_The_Hay_Wain.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/62/fd/fc/62fdfc225d1b194eb9e54b19ca6b0da2.jpg

Ok, I see what you're getting at. Thomas Cole did a lot like that, especially his giant series like Course of Empire, but they don't all make sense for comparison to Zelda. For example, the Savage State is a good analogue, but The Consummation of Empire is a different beast entirely...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Course_of_Empire_(paintings)

Thanks for putting this together, OP, Caspar David Friedrich is one of my favouriet painters and I even have the Wanderer on a wall in my bedroom, but I never made that connection.

BOTW is my game of the generation and stunningly beautiful, but I can't help but wonder what they might have done with stronger hardware.

While its easy to fantasize what they could've done with stronger hardware, its satisfying enjoying this game's art as it enjoying the artist's paintings who created these masterpiece with the tools they had at the time. I think you would get the same feeling either way because of that. Nintendo probably feels that way too.

I think the term you're looking for is Picturesque, think John Constable, Thomas Gainsborough, J.M.W. Turner's early work, but that's a very different side of Romantic landscapes, generally less dramatic and composed at human scale. There are definitely parts of BoTW that feel a bit like that, particularly Hateno Village. The color schemes are generally much darker and earthier than anything in BoTW, though

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/John_Constable_The_Hay_Wain.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/62/fd/fc/62fdfc225d1b194eb9e54b19ca6b0da2.jpg

Ok, I see what you're getting at. Thomas Cole did a lot like that, especially his giant series like Course of Empire, but they don't all make sense for comparison to Zelda. For example, the Savage State is a good analogue, but The Consummation of Empire is a different beast entirely...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Course_of_Empire_(paintings)

I would love to play a game with an art style similar to BOTW but with darker, earthier color schemes.

zenspider

LOL

I'd wager there are actual posters that don't even know what it means. They came of age in the broadband era.

Many GAFfers are like your old uncle telling same old joke over and over, expecting a laugh.

Back in my day, we used to have to walk to the internet in the snow. Uphill, both ways.

.gif heavy threads melt my phone so so I appreciate the warnings, and the wink and nod to an era where you'd watch a picture load line by bloody line while your family begs you to get the computer of the goddamn phone.

As aged as BotW is technically compared to some other AAA games, I still find it to be one of the most beautiful games ever made because of it's sheer artistry.

Great OP.

I took over 5000 screenshots in BotW during my 200 hours of play time so far (haven't finished yet). That should tell you how much I love the landscape design and art direction in this game.

Great OP.

It is so nice to read about the light in a way that's not "ugh BoTW is so washed out, Nintendo sucks at making pretty games"!

It is clear that they had a certain goal in mind when thinking the visuals, and I love this topic for finding the apparent inspiration for them.

Someone should ask Aonuma et co if they like art. So, all you game journalists weaving your webs in the shadows...

Wow what a thread. Been a while since my college days but I definitely got Impressionist vibes when playing BotW. You should follow up with the Bayonetta thread OP. It might be a bit of work to put it together, but I'm sure there's a lot of people in this thread who would be interested in learning a bit more about the influence of art on video games.

Skyward Sword's impressionist filter is the best part of that game's visuals, by essentially painting far away objects with broad brushstrokes, but due to the game's vibrant colors and the way the sky came off as a different watercolor style, it didn't hit as well as it could.

So much truth in one statement. It was one of the things that awed me the most of an otherwise subpar Zelda, and I remember thinking "this should be a fucking revolution and instead I'm almost sure we won't be seeing it in any other game". Sure enough, no other game ever since has used it, to my knowledge, and if the Wii can do it, any modern system can do in in their sleep. Why wasn't this used anywhere else!?

Top Bottom