• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Firefall

Slayven

mgu-body-image.jpg

ffmgu31.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/6/15930776/firefall-shutting-down-red-5-studios

Firefall, the ambitious but troubled MMO from developer Red 5, is shutting down. Word of the closure comes from a post made on the studio’s official site late last night.

“With heavy hearts, we regret to inform you that after much review and analysis, Red 5 Studios have decided to suspend the Firefall efforts on 7th, July 2017,” the post said. “Thank you for being an important part of the Firefall experience and for your loyalty and dedication to the online community.”

Red 5 says it plans to continue Firefall in a different form, however, as a mobile game.

Firefall died a quiet death, i was shocked there was no Gaf thread

Blam

I mean it didn't help that the game wasn't that great to begin with. But still enjoyed it.

inky

I thought about making a thread when I got an email from "Em-8ER" (read as Ember I guess) which is apparently some sort of spiritual successor to it, but I wondered if people even knew Firefall was still alive all this time, or what it even was.

https://em8er.com/

They had a "funding" campaign and all and were promising credit to all Firefall old users, so here we go again!

I thought this went down last year? Firefall had such a really cool concept, it's quite sad to see it go. I was following it since it's inception and played quite a bit of it :(

Slayven

I thought about making a thread when I got an email from "Em-8ER" (read as Ember I guess) which is apparently some sort of spiritual successor to it, but I wondered if people even knew Firefall was still alive all this time, or what it even was.

https://em8er.com/

They had a "funding" campaign and all and were promising credit to all Firefall old users, so here we go again!
They only got art right now, not even a demo

inky

They only got art right now, not even a demo

That's right, the funding campaign was actually just to develop a small playable demo as proof of concept. Of a self defined "massive planetary wargame" with 24/7 kaiju multiplayer battles involving hundreds of players.

Yeah... deep down I think I didn't make the thread to save some poor soul from even warming up to the idea.

I may have heard of it at a Gamescom some years ago, and last year I heard of the development hell it went through which included that damn bus.

I'm surprised it was still going in any state. A bunch of people I know who worked there haven't worked there in years. Must've been a skeleton crew the past two years.

Slayven

That's right, the funding campaign was actually just to develop a small playable demo as proof of concept. Of a self defined "massive planetary wargame" with 24/7 kaiju multiplayer battles involving hundreds of players.

Yeah... deep down I think I didn't make the thread to save some poor soul from even warming up to the idea.

Man a nice site can get you so much free money. The book is cool i give them that

Aranjah

I really wanted this game to be good. I remember signing up for the website/beta long before the beta went live, and being really excited about the idea of a sci-fi setting MMO using an FPS playstyle, and really interested in the lore they were revealing on the website.

Then the game went live and they didn't do much with it, and made it kind-of a grind fest with little to no actual story development there, and tried to focus on eSports even though not much of their playerbase cared about that, and kept swapping progression systems around, usually not for the better. :/

And then I learned about what kind of a person Grummz (forgot his real name) is and felt dirty for ever looking at the game to begin with.

Sucks, though; the game had potential, even though they totally squandered it. And I know a guy who left the place I work at to work there, only a few months before things started to really go downhill for Red 5.

It was like Wildstar. It was a mediocre, middle of the road experience that would have been great about five years before it came out. But the world moved on and I have too many games to play.

Giolon

I remember they spent a bunch of money hiring and sponsoring cosplayers for a year. One of them was a former American Gladiator who's unfortunately passed away since.

When Firefall first entered alpha/beta/whatever their initial invite-only play phase was, and it was just Copacabana and the sparsely populated walled-off open world, it felt like it had such promise and was already quite fun. It handled really well and looked great for the time, there just wasn't much to do - but I still played a bunch of it. Then development stalled out, and years of quiet and eSports later, here we are. Damn shame.

The only good thing about Firefall is that it allowed this to happen.

...but yeah holy shit

Manzoon

Banned
I played in the very first open beta and was surprised at how poorly it ran on my computer. Fired it up again after I upgraded and they revamped how their loot and crafting mechanics worked and it was just a confusing, micro-transaction fueled, mess.

I really liked the idea of an open world game heavily centered around jump packs, traversal was super fun, I loved how the transports weren't just loading gates and you could jump out early and glide around, but the game just had so many small problems.

Had a fun bug though were I got into a transport and ascended to the top of the skybox, haha.

The only good thing about Firefall is that it allowed this to happen.

jK0BK.gif

in the dark dark woods, theres a dark dark cabin. In the dark dark cabin, theres a dark dark room. In the dark dark room, theres a dark dark cabinet. In the dark dark cabinet, theres a dark dark shelf. On the dark dark shelf, theres a dark dark box. And in the dark dark box.......there is firefall

I know nothing about Firefall, or the gif that was posted so far. I'm two minutes in to the video accompanying the gif, and I need to learn everything I can about this stuff. It's.....really something.

Edit - is this an actual show?? Do they have normal shows?

Edit2 - Omg. I am enthralled by that clip show. Currently now watching the two and a half hour full stream fore more. Is there a summary of events for the event? WHo was that normal guy? Was he in on it?! How did this even happen? Did they actually rob the show?

Edit3 - Seriously, wth is up with this show. I found it's tied to Mega64....but are all of their podcats like this? Any fans of MEga 64 here? This Firefall thing seems like one big joke. A joke that isn't funny. A joke that keeps getting attention, and being retold in worse ways.

I know nothing about Firefall, or the gif that was posted so far. I'm two minutes in to the video accompanying the gif, and I need to learn everything I can about this stuff. It's.....really something.

Edit - is this an actual show?? Do they have normal shows?

Edit2 - Omg. I am enthralled by that clip show. Currently now watching the two and a half hour full stream fore more. Is there a summary of events for the event? WHo was that normal guy? Was he in on it?! How did this even happen? Did they actually rob the show?

Edit3 - Seriously, wth is up with this show. I found it's tied to Mega64....but are all of their podcats like this? Any fans of MEga 64 here? This Firefall thing seems like one big joke. A joke that isn't funny. A joke that keeps getting attention, and being retold in worse ways.

The guy in a zombie costume was some head person from firefall. They asked mega64 to be on there, and said they could do whatever they wanted. He didn't know they were going to do this goth skit. So they showed up in goth attire and improvd from there. They talked about it on a mega64 podcast one time

If by normal guy you mean the guy in penguin shirt, he was in on it. That's Shawn from mega64

The game played very well but the problem was that they never finished any idea they had. They would start going one direction.. stall out and then overhaul everything. They did this multiple times and every single time they lost a huge chunk of the playerbase that enjoyed whatever the previous iteration was.

Potential was there and the base was solid. Just couldn't figure out a clear direction and follow through.

Nishastra

Banned
I thought it shut down last year...

It was fun for a while, but it never really felt finished and I couldn't come up with a reason to keep playing it.

Top Bottom