• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Firefall

Ex Diablo devs for anyone wondering. The beta has a good idea but it was wrong out of the game and got bad press and never recovered to my knowledge.

The guy in a zombie costume was some head person from firefall. They asked mega64 to be on there, and said they could do whatever they wanted. He didn't know they were going to do this goth skit. So they showed up in goth attire and improvd from there. They talked about it on a mega64 podcast one time

If by normal guy you mean the guy in penguin shirt, he was in on it. That's Shawn from mega64
I gathered that much from watching that 15 min YouTube vid....but watching the full show, some two and a half hours long, it's pretty bad.

After doing some research, it seems Mega64 does themed "show all based on the game they are having on, but are they all this over the top? Is that their set they were on? (Not jut directed at you, Matrxman, jut anyone who knows about Mega64)

I do plan on wasting my time watching the whole complete version though....it's oddly hypnotic to me for some reason

Prophane33

I gathered that much from watching that 15 min YouTube vid....but watching the full show, some two and a half hours long, it's pretty bad.

After doing some research, it seems Mega64 does themed "show all based on the game they are having on, but are they all this over the top? Is that their set they were on? (Not jut directed at you, Matrxman, jut anyone who knows about Mega64)

I do plan on wasting my time watching the whole complete version though....it's oddly hypnotic to me for some reason

If you aren't familiar with Mega64 check out their Youtube channel I would recommend the Game Experiments or Sketches playlist, or even just Popular Uploads, you can't go wrong. Just about all their stuff is wonderful.

Taij

Red 5 was always really weird. I was working with a guy who is pretty well know in the games industry and he got a recruitment ipod (when ipods were pretty new), in the mail, personally engraved to him that had a message inviting him to come interview.

The company definitely thought highly of themselves and had enough money to do some really interesting stuff. Too bad it didn't work out for them.

They originally planned way too much for the game. Like a huge seemless world. I've heard the stories of it being very mismanaged and as a player during cb/ob it seemed that way.

What they delivered in open beta was solid though. But perhaps not enough of a hook? I had every frame they had around the time of OB release. BUT, in closed beta I mostly enjoyed the PVP. They removed the PVP. FFFFFUUUCK.

The PVP was great. It even had great esports potential. I participated in a couple tournaments, getting my ass kicked while I played with randoms against organized teams who have practiced. Was good fun regardless.

They had a great twist on the CTF format. Sorta like that UT mode. You got a ball, you can pass it around. You can run it through your opponent's goal for points, or run it through.

The game had a ton of movement skill. But they actually dumbed it down a bit IIRC. Some of the coolest moves you could pull off were just using the physics engine they had. Timing your jet packs you could fly across the map in one direction while having a high skill firefight looking the other direction. Holy shit I wish this game had the PVP they had in CB.

They should relaunch the game as a MP pvp game imo. I know not enough people played it in CB, but they never gave it a solid chance in OB. The PVP they eventually added was shit compared to the original (I say this loosely because there was more than 1 version of PVP in CB), super balanced PVP where your gear did not affect your damage or health pool. Give us the original movement system too.

Red5, if you read this. I think you're missing a huge opportunity here to salvage some of those millions and millions of dollars you invested in firefall. Rebrand it if you must, but you should at least explore this possibility.

border

The9 has spent more than $100 million just on promotions over the past three years.

Good god, where did they get all this money from?

tci

Top Bottom