• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom crosses 2 million copies on Steam

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pretty solid overall: http://steamspy.com/app/379720

Owners: 2,068,685 ± 37,335

Since I'm sure people want some comparisons...

Bethesda Softworks Games:

Skyrim: 11.5 million
Fallout: New Vegas: 4.8 million
Fallout 4: 4.5 million
Dishonored: 3.2 million
Fallout 3: 2.4 million (not Steamworks)
Wolfenstein: 1.6 million
Rage: 1.4 million

Current-gen FPS games:

H1Z1: 6.3 million
DayZ: 3.6 million
ARMA III: 3.4 million
7 Days to Die: 2.4 million
Rainbow Six Siege: 2.3 million (Note: This is missing all the uPlay copies.)
Dying Light: 2 million
Call of Duty: Ghosts: 1.5 million
Killing Floor 2: 1.4 million
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: 1.1 million

Please note that we don't know what games like Overwatch and Battlefield sold as they're on different platforms.

Mooreberg

Great game. Kinda weird it seems like it won't be getting an expansion when Doom 3 got one, but they are probably getting the next game out much sooner this time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Great game. Kinda weird it seems like it won't be getting an expansion when Doom 3 got one, but they are probably getting the next game out much sooner this time.

They also had to ramp up Quake Champions, so I imagine they had staff that would have made DLC transfer to that immediately instead.

So why haven't they announced DOOM II: Hell on Earth yet?
AAA games take around 3-4+ years to make these days, and next generation might get even worse.

We often get console refreshes faster than we get games these days.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
An extremely fun game that looked and ran great on a wide array of hardware which dropped in price after a reasonable amount of time. When you think about it there's no surprise it did so well.

I want to play, but I don't want to download like 80GB...

I wish I could just download what I need for the single player.

Do you have it on Steam? I think you can delete some of the files for multiplayer and automap, it might bring it down to around 60GB.
Although if an update releases or your move the game to another drive Steam will want to download the files you deleted.

They fucked up hard by doing a multi-player season pass instead of a stand-alone SP expansion.

I guess if it leads to Doom II Hell on Earth coming faster then that's good.

Do you have it on Steam? I think you can delete some of the files for multiplayer and automap, it might bring it down to around 60GB.
Although if an update releases or your move the game to another drive Steam will want to download the files you deleted.

Yeah, I have it on Steam. I just checked the download it's 66.4GB. It's not as bad, but still a pretty good size.

They fucked up hard by doing a multi-player season pass instead of a stand-alone SP expansion.

I guess if it leads to Doom II Hell on Earth coming faster then that's good.

Yeah, more single player content would have been great. MP was a bust.

Well deserved...played it and loved it on Xbone, and I'm considering rebuying and playing it on PC, now that I have a pretty good gaming rig. I bet it's a different ball game with mouse and keyboard =).

Actually seems pretty low to me. The fact that it's beneath Dishonored and 7 Days to Die and on par with Dying Light is surprising.

red731

Never not wrong to post this. Congrats!

VOsH3lI.jpg

The game is ~70% off on an almost monthly basis.

Sale's a sale, the game's consistently bringing in money to Bethesda as long as it sells even on sale. Better than not selling at all. Not a fan of the digital future, but it does create an outlet for more continued revenue streams via old games, whereas in the past physical copies were it, and once shipped, they stopped making any money. Companies now keep making money off their games long past release thanks to digital distribution.

And it's doing quite well when it's outsold their other titles in less time, those games also having been heavily discounted too.

Deathknell

How is this even possible?
This game is no longer protected by denuvo and people actually buy it?
I thought pc gamers were all pirates..

Zushin

You'd think it would be safe to say wolf and doom sold 5mil plus each across all platforms. Very good return imo.

Bunga

Fallout: New Vegas: 4.8 million
Fallout 4: 4.5 million

I know it has been out way longer but New Vegas has sold more than Fallout 4? Am I the only one surprised by this? I always kind of saw New Vegas as somewhat of a cult favourite for some reason.

Carlius

Banned
there is absolutely no reason to hold pc games back on bethesdas part and they know it..they sell. rockstar should learn from them and stop treating pc gamers like criminals.

PFD

I know it has been out way longer but New Vegas has sold more than Fallout 4? Am I the only one surprised by this? I always kind of saw New Vegas as somewhat of a cult favourite for some reason.

I didn't know NV sold more than Fallout 3 as well, also found that surprising (i know it's the better game)

Hesh

Had no idea H1Z1 sold so well. Whenever I checked the page on Steam it always had Mixed reviews at best or some form of Negative reviews. Didn't it used to be F2P before they split the SKU's, too?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It was still a game that shipped around 5+ million copies on day one. Not quite Skyrim's 7 million or Fallout 4's 12 million, but it had a big debut, and as a bunch of $5 sales happened, got quite the audience.

Had no idea H1Z1 sold so well. Whenever I checked the page on Steam it always had Mixed reviews at best or some form of Negative reviews. Didn't it used to be F2P before they split the SKU's, too?
It was going to go f2p at some point, but they decided against it.

Renekton

there is absolutely no reason to hold pc games back on bethesdas part and they know it..they sell. rockstar should learn from them and stop treating pc gamers like criminals.
I guess it depends on the sales breakdown across 3 platforms. Did GTAV PC outsell the other platforms?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It was going to move to an F2P model come the end of the Early Access alpha, but that plan was replaced with the decision to split the game in two. There hasn't even been a Free Weekend, come to think of it.

Edit: Beaten.

Geddy

Such a great game. I didn't have the most confidence going into it following Doom 3 but god DAMN did it deliver, whilst simultaneously punching me right in the groin for ever doubting it!

dr_rus

AAA games take around 3-4+ years to make these days, and next generation might get even worse.

We often get console refreshes faster than we get games these days.

I dunno, Doom didn't look like it was very expensive to build (disregarding whatever they've spent on this project prior to reboot of course) or that it took them a lot of time to build it. So unless they plan to do something very different for Doom 2 I would expect the next game to come out sooner than even in 3 years.

Top Bottom