• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake sells 3.7 million copies worldwide

Draugoth

Gold Member
Capcom-Sales_06-06-23-1024x576.jpg

Capcom has updated its list of “Platinum Titles“—games that have sold over one million units—providing total sales numbers as of March 31, 2023.

Notable updates include:

• Resident Evil 4 remake (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series, PC) has sold 3.7 million units (New)
  • Monster Hunter Rise (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) has sold 12.7 million units (one million additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 11.9 million units (700,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Resident Evil 3 (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold seven million units (600,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Resident Evil Village (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 7.9 million units (500,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (Switch, PC) has sold 5.4 million units (500,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Devil May Cry 5 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 6.9 million units (400,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 12 million units (300,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Monster Hunter World (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 18.8 million units (200,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 10.2 million units (200,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Street Fighter V (PS4, PC) has sold 7.2 million copies (200,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 1.4 million units (100,000 additional units since December 31,, 2022)
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) has sold 1.1 million units (New)
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) has sold one million units (New)
It should be noted that while Resident Evil 4 remake is listed at 3.7 million units sold, this number is as of March 31, which is slightly outdated. Capcom has already announced that Resident Evil 4 has shipped over four million units.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
3.7 Million is not a bad number. But I was expecting more.
Maybe something closer to 10 Million.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is it worth replaying? Or is it mostly just a fresh coat of paint
Yeah, I loved RE4 (crazy niche opinion, I know), this feels like the game RE4 would be if it released now for the first time, but also there's enough new stuff for returning fans who know the original inside out.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Waiting for the VR mode to release for PSVR2. Plus I played through the PS4 version last year (first time ever playing RE4).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well deserved, RE4R was FANTASTIC remake……it was funny seeing how much people hating on this game before release even saying it’s worse than RE3R over rain effect.

Varteras

Gold Member
It blows my mind how people can see "3.7 million" for a game that was out for a week at the time and they think "that's low". I think some people kept seeing congratulatory announcements of games selling 10 million and don't realize a few things. That many of those are sales after a year or two. Some of them are annual releases with huge, long-established fanbases that constantly transition from one release to the next. Others are a phenomenon that just hit the rights chords at the right time. All of them are big successes.

Octopath Traveler 2 took 3 or 4 months to push 1 million copies. Maintaining that rate, which it probably won't, would take it more than a year to match what RE4R did in a week. Now, before you say, "But Vart! That's a low budget game that didn't need to sell that many copies", yeah. You're, right. So another example. It took The Outer Worlds about 2 years to sell 3 million copies. That's a much bigger budget game from a well-known RPG studio. Anyone thinking that selling several million copies in the first week is low has a skewed perspective on what great sales look like.

Arachnid

Meh, it's a horror game. The RE games tend to have long legs too. It'll likely pass up RE5, 7, and 2make which are the current RE highest sellers. 10 mil is for sure, at least.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Is it worth replaying? Or is it mostly just a fresh coat of paint
I may not represent the majority, but here's an honest take:

While it's a fun but challenging enough game on Normal and even Hardcore difficulties, I find its flaws are highlighted as when you hit Professional.

Poorly balanced game design means that while enemies are perfect snipers or can easily stunlock you to death with their wombo combos, you're stuck with forced aim zoom that ruins your camera control and makes your highly trained government agent feel sluggish and ineffective.

If you're not perfect parrying you're in trouble, because you can't rely on your weapons like you could in the original. Half of them have completely out of whack aiming and you lose your focused aim (from standing still for a second) for moving the camera to adjust ever so slightly. Which means your bullets are flying every which way but forward at enemies that don't like being stunned. This is design that carries over from 2R/3R where you're fighting zombies that tend not to run full speed. It doesn't belong here.

The original 4 had you feel like you were in control. It feels the opposite in this. Even though the original didn't have movement while aiming, that Leon felt faster and more responsive.

I still recommend the game, but don't expect perfection like some of the rabid fans would have you believe. But the game doesn't even have all of its content yet, so don't feel like you're missing out but not getting in early. If you want OG 4 with updated visuals, re4hd.com is where you want to go if you're on PC.

Of course if you are on PC, you can use mods to remove the aim zoom from remake. That alone is a game changer, and I've had others agree with me on that. You can also use mods to take away the focus part of aiming if you want something that feels more like the original.

Also, perhaps most egregious of all the flaws is that the merchant doesn't sound as good.

Top Bottom