• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man dresses as his dead sister for 20 years to help his grieving mother

Cowlick

Banned
_96972418_chineseman.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-40632209

A video about a man in his fifties who has been dressing as a woman for 20 years "to help his mentally ill mum cope with the death of his sister" is being widely shared on Chinese social media.

Pear Video's film about the unnamed man has received over 4.2 million views on Weibo alone and is also being shared by major news portals.

The video shows the man from Guilin in the Guangxi region, tending to his elderly mother whilst wearing a traditional cheongsam dress.

He told Pear Video that he started dressing as a woman after his mother began to show signs of mental illness following the death of her daughter.

He added that his mother was immediately convinced that her daughter had come back.

"She was so happy, so I kept doing it," he said.

"I've basically been living as a woman ever since," he added. "I don't own any men's clothing."

I guess each instance of grief should be managed in its own way, but at what cost to other parties?

Throw out my wardrobe if old.

rjinaz

So she didn't care the son was no longer around I guess? Seems kind of brutal.

Well he obviously loves his Mother this may be the greatest proof ever.

oneils

I didn't see the word "as" in the title. So I thought he was dressing up his dead sister's corpse.

I'm kind of relieved that I got that wrong.

Kettch

So she didn't care the son was no longer around I guess? Seems kind of brutal.

Well he obviously loves his Mother this may be the greatest proof ever.

Probably just assumes her son went off to work somewhere or something. Entirely possible she would be just as broken up if someone told her her son was dead.

Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi, is that you?

Glad to hear Nuriko is
dead, but
not forgotten. Btw I always found it strange that Hotohori married someone who was a dead ringer for Nuriko.

OT: sucks that the mom doesn't seem to give two shits about the son, though :(

You're the first person I've ever seen bring that manga up.

No kidding, I was looking it up and going to be all "I'm amazed if anyone remembers this."

I read it ages ago and it was so fucking out there that it's permanently burned into my brain. Even when I was younger, that was one of the prime examples of "what the fuck am I reading" type shit. That and Midori Days.

riotous

Banned
I missed the "as" in the title on first read and thought these people kept their sister's body around for 20 years.'

edit; I feel so unoriginal!

I didn't see the word "as" in the title. So I thought he was dressing up his dead sister's corpse.

I'm kind of relieved that I got that wrong.

I read it as "Man dresses his dead sister for 20 years......"

:S

this is a much happier outcome.

Ffffff.. I was doing the same. Thankfully, that misreading set my mind to the task of handling the actual story like it was nothing.

Keri

Surely there are times in his life, when he is away from his mother, yet he doesn't own any men's clothing, for those periods? How are Transgender people treated in China?

This sounds more like he is actually a Trans woman, but is using his mother as a cover, for fear of backlash. If that's the case, I'm sad that it's necessary for her, but glad she has a way to more comfortably live as her true self.

Acorn

I'm struggling to articulate my feelings about this so I'll just settle and say I don't think it's a good idea.

M3d10n

Isn't this a backstory for a One Piece character?
More or less:

Senor Pink, a villain who wears a ridiculous baby getup complete with pacifier while sporting a "hard boiled" attitude and turns out to have an unexpectedly dark and depressing backstory:

When he was in his 30's his baby boy fell ill and died while he was away on some pirate raid. His wife desperately tried to reach him by calling the bank he told her he worked for, finding out he was lying about his work. When he returned, she confronted him about his lies and ran away from their house during a storm, only to be caught into a landslide that put her into a vegetative/catatonic state. In one of his daily visits to her at the hospital, she actually smiled when he put their baby's bonnet once. He then began dressing as a baby as that would make her smile, even while being mocked by bystanders. When she died, he kept donning the baby suit in honor of both his late wife and child.

Top Bottom