• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Esports U.S. television ratings for 2017

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This showed up in the Street Fighter V ESPN ratings thread, but I thought it might be a better fit for a general thread.

Source: http://tnl.media/esportsinfographics/

TronWayne

The Candy Crush thing is really a stretch, from the commercials it looks more like a gameshow. People are suspended from the ceiling and floating around hitting a screen.

FinKL

CandyCrush is e-sports?

Ok... Also not quite fair when it's slotted on CBS and a prime time slot.

At least there is video game exposure on TV. I mean it's still very taboo to see it on TV, but at least it's appearing.

I think the most LOL'ing thing is that CandyCrush is 67% viewed by 50+ or Under 17 lol. I'm gonna say all of those that watched it were 50+ because the under 17 group has got WAY better things to watch and keep themselves entertained.

prag16

Banned
How does that Candy Crush show count? It's basically a game show based on the mobile game. Not an eSport competing on the game itself.

Ninjimbo

ELEAGUE did pretty well with SFV I think. I noticed they were airing Counter Strike now. Anyone know how well that is fairing?

When you fill out Nielsen journals you list the ages of people who watched each show.

Oh so they had surveys? Nirolak, you could've linked to that shit. I still feel odd about those. They appear all the time and the subject pertains to me, but I'm never a part of any of those surveys.

Giolon

When you fill out Nielsen journals you list the ages of people who watched each show.

While they still take ages, they don't do journals anymore. They give you this little device that picks up on inaudible sound signals in the programming you're watching/listening to (and they want you to wear it any time you're awake so they can an pick up signals outside the home, aka track you wherever you go).

I've been picked for Nielsen surveys in the past and declined this year due to the change. It's really creepy.

On topic, I just need the straight up, is this a better or worse showing than last year?

Also, I had no idea this candy crush games how even existed. Wtf?

Compbros

Why no mobas in the list? With their gigantic audience they should be the #1 candidates for tv.

Hard to grasp for channel flippers. Fighters you can realize the basics almost immediately and anything that requires explanation can be done in seconds, shooters are basically self explanatory, and sports sim games are just the games they already watch in playable form. I've watched an hour of a grand finals tournament for DOTA and still didn't grasp all that was happening.

Hard to grasp for channel flippers. Fighters you can realize the basics almost immediately and anything that requires explanation can be done in seconds, shooters are basically self explanatory, and sports sim games are just the games they already watch in playable form. I've watched an hour of a grand finals tournament for DOTA and still didn't grasp all that was happening.

There's also a time issue. MOBA matches tend to be long. Around 30 or so minutes each. That's a long time for a network to go without commercial breaks. Soccer, special movies and specific news events are typically the only time you'll see such extended showings on network TV without a commercial break.

Oh so they had surveys? Nirolak, you could've linked to that shit. I still feel odd about those. They appear all the time and the subject pertains to me, but I'm never a part of any of those surveys.

Nielsen families have always been how they measure ratings. You keep a detailed log of what you watch and your family's demographics.

ascii42

While they still take ages, they don't do journals anymore. They give you this little device that picks up on inaudible sound signals in the programming you're watching/listening to (and they want you to wear it any time you're awake so they can an pick up signals outside the home, aka track you wherever you go).

I've been picked for Nielsen surveys in the past and declined this year due to the change. It's really creepy.

On topic, I just need the straight up, is this a better or worse showing than last year?

Also, I had no idea this candy crush games how even existed. Wtf?

They still do journals too. I have one for this past week. I've heard of that device but never been given one. Always the journals.

Giolon

They still do journals too. I have one for this past week. I've heard of that device but never been given one. Always the journals.

Huh, when they called and they told me about the device they used now I asked if I could still do the journal because I didn't like the sound of them literally listening to me st all times and they said they only did the device now.

Lucky you! I always thought the journals were kind of fun.

"The US only has 16%? These games are bigger than I thought. I'm also surprised at that Korea number. Holy shit."

Korea got big into LoL. Basically taking Starcraft's throne since Blizzard abdicated it.

Candy Crush?

Are you fucking kidding me

anyway, those numbers look respectable for SFV, both E-League and EVO. Smash did better than I thought as well.

fernoca

The disparaty between the Candy Crush numbers (more of a game show) and everything else that was basically a stream of the competitions is more telling. Mostly everything between #3 and #14 averaged 100k to 200k, if you exclude Candy Crush.

Top Bottom