• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Frakes on the Star Trek: TNG Clip Show: 'That was a piece of shit'

ManaByte

When Star Trek: The Next Generation was in its second season there was a Hollywood writer's strike and they couldn't write a season finale for it. So they actually made a clip show. It's the only clip show that exists in Star Trek and it's garbage.

Kurtzman who is holding Star Trek hostage currently just said that the short streaming seasons are better because there are no "filler" episodes, which of course is just a bullshit excuse.

Someone asked Frakes about that:

“The only filler I thought was real was when they clearly did a clip show [“Shades of Gray”]. That was a piece of shit.”

Drunk Star Trek GIF

“We made 26 episodes a year, they had a set budget for the year and you split it up 26 ways or however they saw fit… and you got to save stuff for the cliffhanger… Like “Best of Both Worlds,” Picard is Locutus and we’re about to fucking blow up the ship and kill him.”

The greatest cliffhanger in television history.

XerbTMm.gif

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was common in a lot of shows. A. it saved budget and B. it was often the ONLY time you would see those old clips, and they may have been months or even years earlier. Back then you either tried to catch a show again in reruns over the summer or that was about it, very few shows got syndication deals until they hit 100 eps or whatever. So those types of bottle eps had a bit more legitimacy than doing one today, I think.

nush

It was common in a lot of shows. A. it saved budget and B. it was often the ONLY time you would see those old clips, and they may have been months or even years earlier. Back then you either tried to catch a show again in reruns over the summer or that was about it, very few shows got syndication deals until they hit 100 eps or whatever. So those types of bottle eps had a bit more legitimacy than doing one today, I think.

"Don't you guys have VCRs?"

Thaedolus

Hah I can’t even remember that. But I rarely rewatched the first couple seasons, while I probably wore out the tape we had of Best of Both Worlds

jason10mm

Gold Member
"Don't you guys have VCRs?"
Sheeeeet, you remember how hard it was to get those things programmed correctly? And how often you would accidentally record over a show you hadn't watched yet? Or screw up the start/stop to skip commercials? Or a game/news event ran long so your show started late and you only recorded half of it?

Bitches today have NO IDEA the LIVING HELL we had to go through back in the day to make sure we watched all of our favorite shows! My kids have no concept of seasonality, timing, or having to wait. Damn near everything they watch can be paused, rewound, played again ad nauseum, yet they STILL act like having to take a 5 minute break to get a shower, eat, or take out the trash is the END OF THE WORLD. Yah little shit, in my day IT WAS!!!!!!!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You mean the third season that was a 10,000x better send off for the TNG crew than Nemesis?
The third season which was only marginally better than the first two seasons and is still the third worst thing associated to TNG? Yes.

And Nemesis is still miles better than Picard. It isn’t even a competition.

Thaedolus

The third season which was only marginally better than the first two seasons and is still the third worst thing associated to TNG? Yes.

This is like comparing old dogshit growing hair to freshly laid down coils

CGNoire

Clip shows are and have always been TV Cancer. Id much rather wait a year or 2 for the complete episode to just reair instead of getting a highly cut down bastardised version these clip shows shoveled to us.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I always hate flashback episodes and they were quite prominent especially in the seventies and eighties and maybe even the 90s.

But on the bright side, the filler episode for the Next Generation still wasn't as bad as Code of Honor. It was like one of the first episodes of TNG and I think we all know about it that we don't need to discuss it at this point. Let's just say that Jonathan Frank really hated that amongst other members of the cast.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

Indeed

Picard makes Nemesis look like 'Wrath of Khan'

That third season was a band-aid on a bullet wound

Last edited:

FunkMiller

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. But I genuinely don't see how anyone who was a fan of TNG who watched Picard season 3 could look at it and say it was terrible.

It wasn't perfect, but they absolutely got the 'memberberry stuff right, and gave the TNG crew the kind of proper sign off they should have had in the movies and never got because the last two were fucking dreadful turds.

You sure you didn't just watch Picard seasons 1 and 2 and didn't bother with 3? Because it was so vastly different it might as well have been a different series - which isn't surprising, given that it was written and produced by a completely different guy, with a completely different crew.

I watched one episode of Picard season 1 and none of season 2 though, so my perspective is probably different.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. But I genuinely don't see how anyone who was a fan of TNG who watched Picard season 3 could look at it and say it was terrible.

It wasn't perfect, but they absolutely got the 'memberberry stuff right, and gave the TNG crew the kind of proper sign off they should have had in the movies and never got because the last two were fucking dreadful turds.

You sure you didn't just watch Picard seasons 1 and 2 and didn't bother with 3? Because it was so vastly different it might as well have been a different series - which isn't surprising, given that it was written and produced by a completely different guy, with a completely different crew.

I watched one episode of Picard season 1 and none of season 2 though, so my perspective is probably different.

I did state it was better than Seasons 1 and 2, but it was still bad. Heavily mediocre. It didn't even reach the levels as the worst of TNG, let alone getting past that.

It also doesn't change every insulting thing that happened in Seasons 1 and 2.

The Stig

100% agreed re: season 3. Also there were so many moments that were clearly inspired by star trek 6 (if youve watched that movie as much as I have youll notice)

shame we had to endure season 2 (i still have no fucking clue what happened)

Oberstein

But I genuinely don't see how anyone who was a fan of TNG who watched Picard season 3 could look at it and say it was terrible.

There's a lot wrong with Picard season 3. Just because the previous two seasons were turds doesn't mean we should be overly complimentary of the final season.

To keep it short and simple:

- The plot of the mystery box is really filler. In the end, it goes round in circles for nothing.
- Becoming Borg has become like catching a cold. We're talking about the Borg, like Picard becoming Locutus, which has seriously affected his mind, his perception and his spirit. To the point where he breaks down in one episode. Here, half of Starfleet (including the babies?) have become Borg and then they laugh about it 5 minutes after the victory. Ridiculous.
- The shapeshifters who become second-rate henchmen for the Borg, ridiculous once again. They deserved better.
- Bringing back Moriarty for a lame cameo, just to give the fan a hard-on in the trailer, that's even worse. At least make something of the character, not just "hey, remember?".
- The Space Dock that lasts 30 minutes in front of an entire fleet firing nonstop at it, of course.
- etc.
I'm probably forgetting things, but... ah yes, Worf's decapitation of the Ferengi is so anti-trek to boot.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There's a lot wrong with Picard season 3. Just because the previous two seasons were turds doesn't mean we should be overly complimentary of the final season.

To keep it short and simple:

- The plot of the mystery box is really filler. In the end, it goes round in circles for nothing.
- Becoming Borg has become like catching a cold. We're talking about the Borg, like Picard becoming Locutus, which has seriously affected his mind, his perception and his spirit. To the point where he breaks down in one episode. Here, half of Starfleet (including the babies?) have become Borg and then they laugh about it 5 minutes after the victory. Ridiculous.
- The shapeshifters who become second-rate henchmen for the Borg, ridiculous once again. They deserved better.
- Bringing back Moriarty for a lame cameo, just to give the fan a hard-on in the trailer, that's even worse. At least make something of the character, not just "hey, remember?".
- The Space Dock that lasts 30 minutes in front of an entire fleet firing nonstop at it, of course.
- etc.
I'm probably forgetting things, but... ah yes, Worf's decapitation of the Ferengi is so anti-trek to boot.

Don't you get it? It was better than Season 1 and 2 and therefore it must be a masterpiece! Mind you these same folks were singing the tune of "Season 1 and 2 weren't bad, they were good!" not long before S3 was announced. They will keep moving goalposts to justify the defense of Nu-Trek.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Picard s3 REALLY shoot thebpoich with a possibility of a legit TNG continuation if they weren't so merciless in killing off all the male progeny. Worgs boy, dead. Riker/Troy's boy, dead. They should have kept these characters, had them all serve with Jack and Geordis daughters under Jeri Ryan as captain in a new series. Make Jack have more borg legacy and he could be a stand in for the emotionless logical vulcan/android character they always seem to need (and a great connection to 7 of 9).

Give them a mid sized ship, the task of holding the federation together in a outskirt area without easy help, and BAM, we are back to classic trek!

Top Bottom