• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just tried Star VR at the IMAX VR centre

whitehawk

Banned
I haven't seen much talk about this headset, but now that it's easily available to try out (in LA and NYC) I thought I'd share my experience.

There's a new IMAX VR place in LA that has two demos that use Star VR. I was really interested in finally seeing if the wide FOV would fix a lot of problems that VR has.

Initial impressions:

Positive:

- the FOV is muuuuch better, although mostly on the x axis. Hopefully future headsets aim for something like this.
- it's comfortable
- full room scale tracking (didn't know this)
- controllers can fit the situation, it was cool holding a controller the looked and felt like the gun in the game

Negatives:
- it wasn't as clear/sharp as Vive. It has. 5k res, but the pixel density doesn't seem any better
- I can notice the space between the two screens where they try to seam the images together, they don't seam seamlessly.
- the gun wasn't tracked as accurately as the vive controllers.
- there was a lot of what I would call glare coming from bright pixels, especially if most of the environment was dark. It looked similar to looking at a bright light while squinting

The best thing about Star VR was that the mummy was designed from the ground up and used real props to help immerse you. The beginning of the mummy game, your sitting on the edge of a helicopter shooting below you. However there is a real life prop that you sit on the had a metal bottom and two sides covered in a cloth material like a real helicopter that makes it feel like your actually sitting in one. It also vibrated. I want to see more experiences that use props like this.

Ask me any questions, or chime in if you've tried it too.

HAWDOKEN

...they don't seam seamlessly.

This made me laugh.

- there was a lot of what I would call glare coming from bright pixels, especially if most of the environment was dark. It looked similar to looking at a bright light while squinting

This is kind of a deal breaker for me. I've been looking forward to StarVR and it's improvements on FOV, but I hate glare. Hopefully they address it before it's released to the public.

whitehawk

Banned
This made me laugh.

This is kind of a deal breaker for me. I've been looking forward to StarVR and it's improvements on FOV, but I hate glare. Hopefully they address it before it's released to the public.
It made me chuckle as I was writing it lol

I hope they fix it too. I'm not sure about releasing it to the public though. News on Star VR has been. Quiet, but to me it seems like they are skipping a retail release and keeping it for special stores/events/attractons.

Top Bottom