• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The roundup of rumors before the unveiling of Apple's VR headset

Buggy Loop

YO Buggy Loop Buggy Loop just so you know they're making a budget alternative to this, supposedly. This is old news from January, but it still counts.

it will be priced equivalently to an Iphone which gives this a much better fighting chance. The theory's substantiated by the fact they called this VISION PRO and not just VISION, there's more than just one model

that being said i'm waiting for Samsung/Xiaomi's take on this. I will literally have this replace my phone if it is good enough, i am not joking. People joke about the form factor and all that but it's small enough for me, better than the size of a quest 2 or an index.

For sure

micro-OLED will plummet in price to begin with, bigscreen and megane X are already seeing production costs lower down. I would think that maybe a few feature drops would also alleviate the price? What is acceptable to drop though, display resolution? M2 to M1? Heavier materials? Less cameras but could potentially sacrifice AR?

Won't be easy to halve price. Let's see.

Crazy how rumors were accurate for the exact number of cameras. 12 cameras + 5 sensors!

Looks sick in real life

2nd or 3rd iteration of this will be batshit insane, including the competitors which will likely catch up. Very exciting for the future of VR/AR. The form factor is getting really interesting.

Buggy Loop

Ok this is just nuts for tech. The external screen is "3D" like how autostereoscopic devices work. With a lenticular lens.
Someone looking at you sees the correct perspective depending on what angle they are looking at you from. Completely unnecessary. Is it cool? Fuck yea.

The engineers at Apple must have had a lot of fun designing the optics of this, internal AND external.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
The apple hardware ended up being a lot more underwhelming than I was expecting.
Nothing really gamechanging. Nothing noteworthy for other headsets to bother copying.
Neat specs are countered by the horrid battery life and abysmal price.

Especially in the inputs department. Are apple seriously expecting people to use gesture based on-screen keyboards for productivity?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

The apple hardware ended up being a lot more underwhelming than I was expecting.
Nothing really gamechanging. Nothing noteworthy for other headsets to bother copying.
Neat specs are countered by the horrid battery life and abysmal price.

Especially in the inputs department. Are apple seriously expecting people to use gesture based on-screen keyboards for productivity?

uh..

I want ALL VR & AR/VR companies to copy these micro-OLED screens or better with edge to edge clarity lenses :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Nobody is even close to these optics, not even Varjo XR-3 @ $6.5k

Peoples have been using Varjo Aero for 200 ft virtual screen but this would be a league ahead in crispness.

This is going also for a minority report with the hand tracking and voice commands with the AR. Give me that too. BUT keep full VR controllers for anyone copying Apple. Options. There's many good things for competitors to copy here.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
uh..

I want ALL VR & AR/VR companies to copy these micro-OLED screens or better with edge to edge clarity lenses :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Nobody is even close to these optics, not even Varjo XR-3 @ $6.5k

Peoples have been using Varjo Aero for 200 ft virtual screen but this would be a league ahead in crispness.

This is going also for a minority report with the hand tracking and voice commands with the AR. Give me that too. BUT keep full VR controllers for anyone copying Apple. Options. There's many good things for competitors to copy here.
Uh...

You consider a higher resolution screen to be noteworthy? More clarity is just a natural expectation of a higher price. It's not something that's gonna move the needle.
Hand tracking and voice commands are "nice to have", but completely fail as primary input mechanism for anything more complicated than moving around windows.

People were building up apple headset to be a generational leap in VR, when infact, it's arguably worse than the competition when you take into account the battery life and limited input mechanisms.

Massive fumble by apple. This was the thing that they spent all these years in R&D for?

Buggy Loop

Uh...

You consider a higher resolution screen to be noteworthy? More clarity is just a natural expectation of a higher price. It's not something that's gonna move the needle.
Hand tracking and voice commands are "nice to have", but completely fail as primary input mechanism for anything more complicated than moving around windows.

People were building up apple headset to be a generational leap in VR, when infact, it's arguably worse than the competition when you take into account the battery life and limited input mechanisms.

Massive fumble by apple. This was the thing that they spent all these years in R&D for?

You're saying that there's nothing to copy. That's plain wrong.

You don't agree on the direction, you don't agree on price, you don't agree that it will move the needle. OK.

But cmon, get your head out of your ass. 5 years from now you will see many competitors copying bits from vision from exactly what we saw today

Raonak

Banned
You're saying that there's nothing to copy. That's plain wrong.
You keep saying that, but there's absolutely nothing new or noteworthy in here.

Higher quality screens? Yeah that's not something anyone is "copying". Every new headset comes with better optics than the last. That's just natural technological advancement.
And existing headsets already come with IR blasters and mics. The one "new" thing is the screen in front which is both pointless and a waste of battery life, it'll likely be axed by the time it hits the consumer version.

nothing new, or interesting. apple delivering completely undercooked and underwhelming hardware.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

You keep saying that, but there's absolutely nothing new or noteworthy in here.

Higher quality screens? Yeah that's not something anyone is "copying". Every new headset comes with better optics than the last. That's just natural technological advancement.
And existing headsets already come with IR blasters and mics. The one "new" thing is the screen in front which is both pointless and a waste of battery life, it'll likely be axed by the time it hits the consumer version.

nothing new, or interesting. apple delivering completely undercooked and underwhelming hardware.

Oh yeah, nothing impressive, Raonak Raonak has spoken..

Meanwhile :

Raonak

Banned
Oh yeah, nothing impressive, Raonak Raonak has spoken..

Meanwhile :

You and palmy can be impressed by mediocrity all you want. It doesn't change the fact that is mediocre.

Wake me up when someone actually does something interesting or innovates in the VR/AR space.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

You and palmy can be impressed by mediocrity all you want. It doesn't change the fact that is mediocre.

Wake me up when someone actually does something interesting or innovates in the VR/AR space.

Now you get me curious to see if you predicted switch DOA in that infamous thread 😂

Peoples on this place keep making claims that age like milk.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What is acceptable to drop though, display resolution? M2 to M1? Heavier materials? Less cameras but could potentially sacrifice AR?
i don't think they will be sacrificing AR as that is a major component to this headset. I think they will definitely drop the resolution down to 1080p and lower performance to an M1. I don't know about materials and build quality but SOMETHING's downgrading.

Even if it were omega scuffed, it'd be still impressive to the vast majority of the public who's basically getting it as their first entry to VR

Last edited:
Top Bottom