• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro | Review Thread + OT |

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No that's just my opinion. Sorry If Implied otherwise. She shows off some cool stuff, but nothing that screams out I must have this for $3500 bucks. Of course, iJustine is going to like it. It's an Apple product. She is more of an Apple fan, than a critical reviewer. But that's fine. All perspectives are important/welcome.
Not hers sorry no thanks.

Same price as a 16 inch macbook. Price seems fair for gen1

But for it to reach the masses it needs to be iphone ipad levels in price.
Thankfully i’m not poor.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member

200.gif

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Glad it turns out to be shit! :messenger_grinning_sweat:
That mean we don't need to spend 3.500$ for good VR experience.
The Verge review was probably one of the best and detailed reviews I've seen in a long time, despite specifics of the subject (VR headset). Reviewer absolutely knows what he talking about.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I haven't seen a single fitness app in any review of this so far, and mentions of games in general is scarce apart from a few dinky Arcade games.

I really want to see what full AAA exclusives for it could do, but it's a very small market right now for anyone to be funding that. Imagine a fighter jet sim where you can actually look all around you and just grab controls with your hands.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I haven't seen a single fitness app in any review of this so far, and mentions of games in general is scarce apart from a few dinky Arcade games.

I really want to see what full AAA exclusives for it could do, but it's a very small market right now for anyone to be funding that. Imagine a fighter jet sim where you can actually look all around you and just grab controls with your hands.
It’s not meant to be a device that plays games. It’s meant to be Mac that attaches to your head, but doesn’t play games. I don’t see why at the very least it couldn’t stream games at some point l

Minsc

Gold Member

There will not be any AAA exclusives for it, you are crazy if you want that. That's not to say there won't be exclusive games, I imagine there will be a decent number, people who buy new hardware want to spend money, they'll probably buy a dozen apps/games at first.

I also think the comfort issues and external battery pack would make it not ideal for fitness, but the big players will all want to get in - and most fitnress apps now are subs, so $10-$15/month if you want a fitness app.

Which is really just beat saber, swinging your arms around and sometimes also some boxing movements.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just based on reviews, it looks like Meta Quest 3 does 80%-90% of what this thing does in terms of technology, at 15% of the price.

What you are paying for here is the ties to Apple, like being able to project your Mac and connect to your iCloud and all their services. But I do not see why anyone would want to use this as a primary or even secondary computing device right now. It's going to take some iterations. It's basically a loyalty test for total Apple shills. I am sure Daring Fireball loves it.

MarkMe2525

Very rarely, can a piece of tech come out that simultaneously wows and underwhelms. I still don't understand what this is for and what the value proposition is.

Edit: after watching the Marques Brownlee video, I believe the best feature is the Mac integration. Still limited, but legit useful. Also, the persona integration is a really neat. Still needs work, but at least it is being shipped vs Meta's solution. I will say, I was more impressed with Meta's solution, but that seems years away from shipping in a product.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Most VR games aren't based on precise hand tracking, some use it but it's usually pretty blunt.
I have to say that in my experiences, hand tracking on the Quest can be very accurate. Software needs to catch up for sure, but Meta's method is solid and I have yet to see evidence of Apples solution giving any significant advantage.

Minsc

Gold Member
Pretty much everyone who plays racing games in VR would swear by having a physical wheel and pedals and that by doing so it raises it to a level of immersion not possible without. I expect the same would be true for flight sim. Have a tangible object is way better than a virtual one.

calistan

I like the feature where you open your MacBook and an icon hovers over it to let you expand the screen to vast dimensions. That sounds cool, although probably less practical than just buying a big monitor, especially if you want to show people what you’re working on.

The Verge review said you could arrange a load of windows around the kitchen, walk into the living room and position a load more, then they stay exactly where they were when you re-enter the room.

It’s still a solution in search of a problem, in my opinion, but it does seem like a glimpse of the (weird, dystopian, isolated) future.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The Verge review was probably one of the best and detailed reviews I've seen in a long time, despite specifics of the subject (VR headset). Reviewer absolutely knows what he talking about.
I thought it was a crap review. Boohoo. I'm so lonely in my $3500 VR experience. Give me a fucking break.

RayHell

It's so not convenient, it's trying to do stuff you can already do in real life in a more efficient way. Very few will use that for work, wearing a heavy/hot mask with 2 hours of batterie with reduced visibility and productivity just have virtual windows around you is a dumb idea. In two of the reviews they looked at their phone while wearing the headset. This only highlight that it's way more convenient to see your notification on your phone than moving your head in all directions to see them. Doing VR is a project it's not just something you casually do like scrolling social media on your phone. It's a great technological achievement with no real purpose.

calistan

I thought it was a crap review. Boohoo. I'm so lonely in my $3500 VR experience. Give me a fucking break.
I thought it was pretty thorough, and the complaint about nobody being able to share the experience is a fair one.

It was a bit weird that he kept moaning about it messing his hair up. That's got to be the least manly criticism I've ever heard.

darrylgorn

The price point gives away that they don't actually have any confidence in the VR industry.

This is a place for people with a very niche tech fetish and they spend money on that fetish.

Apple recognized that and made a product for them to spend on.

Doesn’t work over glasses?
Nice now I can forget all about this device. 👍
Luckily, people that have honed their eyes to expert ocular precision through years of strenuous training sessions on small phone screens and bigger computer screens rarely need glasses.

Or perhaps they usually do.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
With no haptics, I’m not sure hand tracking would be any more immersive than just using a controller in that scenario

I imagine it would be far less. The haptics are super important, and controllers not only have haptics, but also the force resistant triggers.

It's so not convenient, it's trying to do stuff you can already do in real life in a more efficient way. Very few will use that for work, wearing a heavy/hot mask with 2 hours of batterie with reduced visibility and productivity just have virtual windows around you is a dumb idea. In two of the reviews they looked at their phone while wearing the headset. This only highlight that it's way more convenient to see your notification on your phone than moving your head in all directions to see them. Doing VR is a project it's not just something you casually do like scrolling social media on your phone. It's a great technological achievement with no real purpose.

It's never going to be convenient to use any of that crap. Things like floating timers and buttons all over your room, that stuff requires you have the headset on at all times for it to be convenient. If you have to constantly charge, and take on/off a device to get to the thing that you're trying to make convenient, and you can't even see it unless you do that, well, it's simply not convenient. They're nice thoughts, but the hardware isn't there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I thought it was pretty thorough, and the complaint about nobody being able to share the experience is a fair one.

It was a bit weird that he kept moaning about it messing his hair up. That's got to be the least manly criticism I've ever heard.
Not being able to share the experience being fair. It’s a VR headset. What was he expecting. Some sort of holo laser projector. It’s like reviewing a motorbike and complaining that you can’t carry your whole family on it. A stupid point to make.

And the hair stuff. Jesus. What a waste sending that headset to him to review.

Last edited:
Not being able to share the experience being fair. It’s a VR headset. What was he expecting. Some sort of holo laser projector. It’s like reviewing a motorbike and complaining that you can’t carry your whole family on it. A stupid point to make.

It's a point against VR in general then, but Apple also tried at least to make the point that with the outward dipslay the headset wearer is supposed to be still present to whoever is around them. Which imho makes no sense. Put down the headset if you interact in any way with actual people around you. It's like staring at your phone while having a conversation. Even if you actually listen and answer back, it will be weird to your talking partner. The entire point of VR / spatial computing is, to warp yourself into another space, away from real stuff, and the only shared experience should be happening with other headset wearer, in a virtual environment. Even if the transmitted image of your surroundings incl people will be pretty much perfect, not wearing a headset as the natural default human experience should always trump the gadget experience.

Minsc

Gold Member

But you can share the experience, in two ways.

The expensive/better way - buy everyone a AVP.
The cheaper way - cast your view screen to the TV so everyone sees it.

cyberheater

First Gen product… skip. Way too uncomfortable, heavy and expensive. Also no software.
The amount of bollocks talked in this thread.

Apple announces more than 600 new apps built for Apple Vision Pro​

All-new spatial apps built for Apple Vision Pro join more than 1 million compatible apps available on the App Store to deliver a wide array of breakthrough experiences

Bry0

Pretty much everyone who plays racing games in VR would swear by having a physical wheel and pedals and that by doing so it raises it to a level of immersion not possible without. I expect the same would be true for flight sim. Have a tangible object is way better than a virtual one.
VTOL VR already does this, and with the haptics the flight controls feel pretty good considering the controller basically feels like a joystick already and you just rest on your chair arm. It translates better than a “virtual wheel” would at least.

Zannegan

If he's whining about something that's a limitation of the form factor, I agree.

But does the headset allow shared in-world experiences? For example, if someone else has a headset and is standing in the same room, can they appear in the same simulated environment, see your virtual desktop, watch the same movie, view the same model, etc.? Because, if not, he makes a fair point. With how locked up the Apple ecosystem is, and given that they're billing this as more AR than VR, there's zero reason not to have shared experiences in virtual environments with several equipped users, IMO.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
If he's whining about something that's a limitation of the form factor, I agree.

But does the headset allow shared in-world experiences? For example, if someone else has a headset and is standing in the same room, can they appear in the same simulated environment, see your virtual desktop, watch the same movie, view the same model, etc.? Because, if not, he makes a fair point. With how locked up the Apple ecosystem is, and given that they're billing this as more AR than VR, there's zero reason not to have shared experiences in virtual environments with several equipped users, IMO.

I mean this is pretty much what Bigscreen does (on Quest), so yes, you can. I'm sure Apple's implementation of it would be even better.

This is also what many movies services do too with "watch together" feature or whatever it's called.

calistan

For a normal VR headset, yes. But for this one, with its permanent passthrough view, user's eyes visible, etc, it's a valid point.

Even if you buy one for every person in your family, you still can't have a shared experience. You can't collaborate with co-workers. You can't show people the cool thing you made. You can walk around taking 3D photos but nobody else can view them.

cyberheater

For a normal VR headset, yes. But for this one, with its permanent passthrough view, user's eyes visible, etc, it's a valid point.

Even if you buy one for every person in your family, you still can't have a shared experience. You can't collaborate with co-workers. You can't show people the cool thing you made. You can walk around taking 3D photos but nobody else can view them.
Stop with the fud.

Yes, there are three types of Spatial Personal Templates, which are arrangements of personas in the room with SharePlay. Up to 4 other people.

1. Surround - Personas hover in a circle around the content, each with a different view of the content. People can converse over the app while looking at the content. Like sitting around a table with the app on the table. You might see the face of the dinosaur, but I can only see its bum.
  2. Side-by-side - Personas hover in a row shoulder-to-shoulder all looking at same content. Like all sitting in a row in front of the TV. We all see the face of the dinosaur.
  3. Conversational - Personas hover in a circle facing each other, each with the same view of the content. Like sitting around a table facing each other but you can all turn to face a PowerPoint presentation on the wall. We all see the face of the dinosaur.

Zannegan

Stop with the fud.

Yes, there are three types of Spatial Personal Templates, which are arrangements of personas in the room with SharePlay. Up to 4 other people.

1. Surround - Personas hover in a circle around the content, each with a different view of the content. People can converse over the app while looking at the content. Like sitting around a table with the app on the table. You might see the face of the dinosaur, but I can only see its bum.
  2. Side-by-side - Personas hover in a row shoulder-to-shoulder all looking at same content. Like all sitting in a row in front of the TV. We all see the face of the dinosaur.
  3. Conversational - Personas hover in a circle facing each other, each with the same view of the content. Like sitting around a table facing each other but you can all turn to face a PowerPoint presentation on the wall. We all see the face of the dinosaur.
Interesting. But there's no way to track one-another's actual position in a shared physical space, right? So you can have a shared VR experience, but not a shared AR experience?

Last edited:

calistan

Stop with the fud.

That's not "fud". You are awfully defensive about this thing. I'm not being deliberately miserable about it - I've bought loads of Apple hardware over the years, I'm balls deep in their ecosystem, and I'd be a potential buyer for this if I could see any use case that couldn't be achieved better with the gear I already own.

By "isolating" I'm referring to things like the example given in the Verge review, where he arranged a load of windows in various rooms to make a cool 3D art gallery but there was no way to share it. Many reviews have made similar comments. I guess until these headsets are out in the wild and people can tell me from personal experience that all the reviewers have missed the point, I'll take it as legitimate criticism.

cyberheater

By "isolating" I'm referring to things like the example given in the Verge review, where he arranged a load of windows in various rooms to make a cool 3D art gallery but there was no way to share it. Many reviews have made similar comments. I guess until these headsets are out in the wild and people can tell me from personal experience that all the reviewers have missed the point, I'll take it as legitimate criticism.
He’s basically complaining that it’s not some sort of magical headset were you can create unlimited virtual objects in the real world and that everyone who is wearing another magical headset nearby can somehow see them. If you think that’s a legitimate criticism then fill your boots.

Minsc

Gold Member
That's not "fud". You are awfully defensive about this thing. I'm not being deliberately miserable about it - I've bought loads of Apple hardware over the years, I'm balls deep in their ecosystem, and I'd be a potential buyer for this if I could see any use case that couldn't be achieved better with the gear I already own.

I still don't understand how you can say he can't share it when you can cast the view of the headset to any device you want to. At least that's what I've been told.

Top Bottom