• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Europe on Shenmue HD - “It’s something we would love to make happen"

Didn't see a topic over this. Elbow Assault me if old.

Sega Europe's executive vice president John Clarke was interviewed at E3 and had the following to say about Shenmue HD:

The success of those titles has meant that gamers have been quick to make lists of other titles they'd love to see on their PCs. The most common title at the top of those lists? Shenmue.

”It's something we would love to make happen, something we are trying to make happen," Clark says. "I think we want it to happen as much as anybody out there. Yes, it's a serious task and it's not a task that we're not working on, if that makes sense. It's something we're actively pursuing."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sega...titles-are-revitalising-the-publisher/0185552

Getting a deja vu headache here. Come on, SEGA, anytime this decade would be nice.

NateDrake

They say the same thing each time they are asked. We've heard this quote at least twice since Shenmue 3 was announced. Hell, I think even before Shenmue 3 was announced thay said this very thing.

gelf

I feel sorry for Sega Europe and their porting efforts sometimes. I get the impression they have to beg Sega Japan for scraps constantly and are occasionally thrown a bone every few years.

"Can we port Shenmue?", "No, but here's the code for Sonic Lost World, have at it"

It's going to happen. Shenmue came out nearly 17 years ago and a whole generation of gamers that have yet to play the first two games. They'll want to get them ready for Shenmue 3 with a HD collection.

RAIDEN1

All a load of bull$$$t if they wanted to bring it out they would have by now, they are more interested in Yakuza than ShenMue....

Shadio

Have SEGA Europe ever released any games for consoles?

I'd quite like the whole collection on a single system but from what I can tell they only seem to work on PC.

Kneefoil

Didn't those games have product placement in them? I'm guessing the issue is licensing all the rights.

I'm sure we'll get Shenmue I & II HD someday.

Eolz

It's like their statement on Yakjza and Atlus games on PC.
Sega EU would like a lot of things.

Didn't those games have product placement in them? I'm guessing the issue is licensing all the rights.

I'm sure we'll get Shenmue I & II HD someday.

I think the US versions had fake brand names, right?

Really, really hoping this happens though. I still find myself replaying Shenmue II from time to time.

spons

Gold Member
Is SEGA Europe the company in charge of the recent PC ports? If anything they should see the potential for more money they've ever dreamed of.

Really, really hoping this happens though. I still find myself replaying Shenmue II from time to time.

Yeah, US/Euro version of Shenmue had fake cola brand names, only the Japanese version to my knowledge had proper branded Coca Cola. Not sure if Ryo's watch is branded in the English versions of the game though?

Gestault

Given what's actually included in that statement, the inability to openly say they're making a videogame called Shenmue and/or Shenmue II is...odd.

"It's...something we are trying to make happen"
"it's not a task that we're not working on"
"It's something we're actively pursuing"

These literally say they're trying to make it. But I (rightly) don't believe that means I can expect that game to be made. I sure as shit wish they'd get organized on this to the point they could make a substantive statement, up or down.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're still waiting on the go ahead from the higher ups at SEGA Japan, who would be the ones delaying this, if anyone is.

Is SEGA Europe the company in charge of the recent PC ports? If anything they should see the potential for more money they've ever dreamed of.

They are. They're also in charge of the mobile game ports as well and the PC games being developed by SEGA in general (Total War, Football Manager, Alien: Isolation etc). They're a busy lot.

Spaghetti

Time is a flat circle. I have the sinking feeling we'll be hearing this even when III has a release date.

Yeah, US/Euro version of Shenmue had fake cola brand names, only the Japanese version to my knowledge had proper branded Coca Cola. Not sure if Ryo's watch is branded in the English versions of the game though?

Only the Coca Cola branding is absent from non-Japanese versions of the game. All other product placement is still there, like Sapporo, Timex, Hitachi, some Japanese bank, etc.

delta_reg

Lol... Here we go again. Just make it happen Sega, no excuses. It's your own franchise and people want to play it again. I can only hope this kind of speaking is the result of an NDA and an announcement is forthcoming, but with this being so long now without one it's easier to feel skeptical as to the validity of these statements.

daveo42

Banned
It'll come out sometime before Shenmue 3 launches in late 2019, so probably either a January or maybe summer launch.

LordKasual

Banned
The success of those titles has meant that gamers have been quick to make lists of other titles they’d love to see on their PCs. The most common title at the top of those lists? Shenmue.

“It’s something we would love to make happen, something we are trying to make happen," Clark says. "I think we want it to happen as much as anybody out there. Yes, it’s a serious task and it’s not a task that we’re not working on, if that makes sense. It’s something we’re actively pursuing.”

This is Segacese for "We don't really give a shit unless you all prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you'll buy the shit out of it"

Joqu

Man, they've been saying stuff like this for a while now with nothing to show for it. Maybe it's finally happening, but that still doesn't sound like it's describing active development to me.

Spaghetti

Didn't someone on here say Shenmue HD announcements were coming?
There have been rumours since probably even before the phrase "HD Remasters" was even coined. What was said in those threads close to E3 were, well, just another to throw on the heap.

SEGA actually announcing remasters will be the only way this is solved. Rumours can't be taken for confirmation.

Sounds like they're echoing the same shit they've said for the last few years now. I long for the day when I refresh GAF and see a thread with the actual announcement.

HD remasters would be a wonderful warm up to 3. Get your shit together Sega.

GunBR

It's going to happen. Shenmue came out nearly 17 years ago and a whole generation of gamers that have yet to play the first two games. They'll want to get them ready for Shenmue 3 with a HD collection.

It'll come out sometime before Shenmue 3 launches in late 2019, so probably either a January or maybe summer launch.
A lot of people are expecting this, but Shenmue III is not being made by Sega, so maybe they don't want to waste time and money in a port to create hype to a game that other company are making

Hesh

It's beginning to sound more and more like Sega is too worried about losing money on this, which then begs the question: Why doesn't Sega just wade into the crowdfunding waters to see if consumers will fund most of the development so they don't have to take the risk?

Spaghetti

A lot of people are expecting this, but Shenmue III is not being made by Sega, so maybe they don't want to waste time and money in a port to create hype to a game that other company are making
SEGA is still the IP holder, and it's possible they take a cut from revenues III makes.

Also, SEGA would be stupid not to try riding a wave of interest that was created at no cost to them.

Spaghetti

It's beginning to sound more and more like Sega is too worried about losing money on this, which then begs the question: Why doesn't Sega just wade into the crowdfunding waters to see if consumers will fund most of the development so they don't have to take the risk?
That would be unacceptable for a lot of people, and frankly would ignore that the crowdfunding for III has already proved significant, tangible demand.

Top Bottom