• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flixster Video (Digital Movie Service) will shutdown in the US on August 28th

Flixster will be closing down its Ultraviolet code redemption and movie playback services on August 28th in the United States and are redirecting people to use Vudu.

There are some UHD digital movie codes that will only redeem in HDX through Vudu while redeeming in UHD on Flixster.
This spreadsheet found on blu-ray.com shows the UHD codes that only redeem in UHD on Flixster.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsJkCX4DIv2oeCKQ7zp2ArkR1qKEXCUuCMBbUtHtmh4/edit#gid=0

To our Flixster Video US Customers:

As of August 28, 2017, the Flixster Video US service will no longer be able to provide code redemption and playback of titles due to circumstances beyond our control related to the unexpected shutdown of a critical vendor. Flixster Video customers will still be able to redeem codes and access their UltraViolet video collections by linking their UltraViolet accounts to VUDU, another UltraViolet retailer. Consumers who have previously linked their UltraViolet accounts to other UltraViolet digital retailers such as FandangoNow will continue to be able to access their video libraries at those retailers.

https://www.flixstervideo.com/faq

Riptwo

Ultraviolet might as well not even exist in Canada at this point, especially since Vudu doesn't work here and Cinema Now is possibly the worst video service operated in North America as a whole.

sfedai0

Banned
VUDU is definitely not big enough not to fail. All digital is still too risky at this time. Streaming/physical is still the way to go.

Why I like to go with the Physical/Digital version of movies, just in case.
Also why I would always buy the physical version of EA PC games for a while when Origin first came out.

I wish all digital movies worked like how Disney works. You can link your digital Disney movies to all the main video services (VUDU, Microsoft, Google, iTunes, etc) so they're all on all the different services.

I think Universal movies are doing a thing where you get to choose two (one of your choice and then iTunes I think, I forget exactly how it works).

Not particularly shocked that the one called "Flixster" ended up dying. I don't always love the layout of VUDU (especially TV Shows), but I do like that it's available on all the devices I own (Apple, Microsoft, Roku, and Android)

Syriel

I wish all digital movies worked like how Disney works. You can link your digital Disney movies to all the main video services (VUDU, Microsoft, Google, iTunes, etc) so they're all on all the different services.

Ultraviolet works the same as Disney Keychest.

It is up to the storefronts to enable support.

Zero technical reason for Microsoft, Google, iTunes to not support UV, aside from them not wanting to support customers who didn't buy a film thru them.

Ultraviolet might as well not even exist in Canada at this point, especially since Vudu doesn't work here and Cinema Now is possibly the worst video service operated in North America as a whole.

I just had a little chat with a Flixster support agent and he said it only affects the United States, not Canada.

And this is why I always prefer to buy physical. Aside from having a nice collection you can show off on your shelf, it means that when services shut down, are hacked, rules change, internet is down, etc. etc. you don't have to feel like you threw your money away.

Good riddance.

Werd

Flixster app was horrendous the few times I tried to use it. One version I knew my password 100%, could log on the website, change it again to be sure, etc. and no matter what I can do it would let me log in on the app where I can actually watch.

Now there will just be no option on some devices I guess though.

Syriel

And this is why I always prefer to buy physical. Aside from having a nice collection you can show off on your shelf, it means that when services shut down, are hacked, rules change, internet is down, etc. etc. you don't have to feel like you threw your money away.

Good riddance.

When Target Ticket shut down I lost zero movies, because they were all UV.

When Flixster shuts down I will lose zero movies, because they are all UV.

If VUDU shuts down, I will lose a handful of movies, because some of those are VUDU only and not UV (yes, I bought Big Game, totes worth it!)

no way to download and convert the ones that won't transfer to VUDU i'm assuming (only 1 for me, but still). The app downloads a file that's a mp4 but def has drm on it.

molnizzle

You can also grab your movies from iTunes, although you still have the rights restrictions on them.

Pretty easy to strip the DRM if you want. App costs $10-20 or something (I don't remember). Extra step of hassle but at least it's doable if you don't want to use iTunes. I strip all my iTunes files so I can add them to my Plex server.

Top Bottom