• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What QoL improvements would you want to see in mods for Final Fantasy XV on PC?

Koozek

Don't derail the thread with witty "add actual story!" or unreasonable stuff like "change the whole combat to one like in KH or Versus!" posts, please.

I'm curious what QoL/UI/balancing changes you guys would like to see through mods in the PC version of FFXV.

Personally I think these following simple things could be done even without that much access to the game's innards, but's let's see how expansive and elaborate the official modding tools will be.

- Audio:
  • remove menu music (sry falk) and let the current background music keep playing (if there is silence currently still let the update tick for the music system run so that the song could start playing again at the next intended periodic intervall while in the menu)
  • increase play rate of background music while exploring
  • no Chocobo theme when riding Chocobos and let current music play (relegate the Chocobo theme to the racing mini-game)
  • remove "enemy near" alarm jingle, which unnecessarily interrupts even if you don't intend to waste time fighting low-level mobs and just want to run around
  • remove crappy turbo boost sound of the off-road Regalia and the annoying laughter voice clips repeating every 2 seconds (if they haven't already been removed judging from the recently shown PC footage)

- Combat [there are so many fundamental flaws with the combat that I obviously only list small things here that probably could be changed rather easily through mods]:
  • if SE doesn't plan on revamping the magic system until the PC version, e.g. to be more like the one in the multiplayer DLC, mod it so that at least the next available spell in your list is automatically placed in the respective weapon slot when the current spell was used up, so you don't have to go into the equipment menu again (the less you have to jump in and out of menus in an action-based game the better)
  • change the party AI's item usage rate so they take care of reviving and healing themselves much more reliably (without equipping accessories or unlocking super expensive AP nodes to do this) and so you won't have to break the flow all the time to use items every few seconds in high-level hunts/dungeons
  • remove Noctis' rubbing-his-hands animation after a battle which stops your whole movement for a few seconds and is super annoying
  • remove result screen for battles that didn't even start properly because you ran away immediately or didn't even want to initiate because you were just exploring

- QoL/UI:
  • enable fast-travel from the normal map menu without having to be at your car (saves redundant menu navigation of having to warp to your car first, then open the car menu, select Automatic Drive, select Map Point, move cursor to point-of-interest close to your destination, then select fast-travel)
  • this is probably not as simple to mod in, but make it possible to accept several hunts at once or at least after completing one make the reward window pop up right at the spot instead of having to go back to a hunt tipster and then just iterate through the list of hunts that you "know of" by having talked with tipsters so far if that list is accessible for modders (I doubt they could just add an actual Hunt Quest main menu point where you could choose the current active from a list, but who knows what crazy dedicated modders can do.)

UPDATE: Seems they'll actually patch in an "increased hunt capacity" as shown in the TGS FFXV Universe trailer!
  • add infinite renting time for Chocobos (Why the hell is it artificially limited to 7 days max in the game? There should've been the option to buy your own Chocobos for a lot of money)
  • add hotkey/button combo to instantly call Chocobos so that you don't have to switch between items and the Chocobo menu every time
  • add button to jump to the top or bottom of the item list in the combat item menu (e.g. L2/R2 would be free - or you know, just make Left/Right D-pad do it and instead of those use L1/R1 to switch between menu categories)
  • add button (e.g. Square) to quickly use one item on all members at once instead of having to do it one by one as it is currently (open menu, select item, select character, confirm, wait a second, open menu again, rinse and repeat 4 times)
  • change the button to pick up items so you don't accidentally jump instead all the time, lol (there was even an article on Kotaku about it, haha)

- Traversal:
  • make the default car's manual driving actually free too like the off-road car's manual mode (though I assume it won't be as polished as with the off-road car because the lower height of the normal car and thus more possibly accidental collision with small shrubs and the terrain that could make driving super annoying, I guess)
  • add infinite sprinting for Noctis (I know there is an accessory and an outfit doing that, but still)
  • add infinite sprinting for Chocobos

- Outfits:
  • add the Kingsglaive Garb for Noctis too
  • add original Versus outfits for Prompto, Ignis, and Gladio (NOT FOR NOCTIS!)

SirNinja

Change the fucking jump and interact button from being the fucking same!!

My god am I sick of jumping in front of stores, NPCs, and items.

Hopefully Square will be smart enough to put jump on Spacebar and Interact on a separate key in the vanilla PC version from day one, rather than us having to rely on mods. (Oh, and have every key be re-bindable, of course.)

Koozek

Apparently this Jump/Interact issue doesn't exist in the Japanese version because over there Circle is Confirm and X is Cancel in general.

True Fire

Add a Summon button, and make them regular spells instead of cheap instakills.

It would be amazing if modders could create Ifrit and Bahamut Summon sequences and add them to Chapter 15 and NG+.

I also want modders to rip Final Fantasy XIV bosses and mobs and add them to XV.

spons

Gold Member
Reverting the ability to KO Adamantoise with one hit. Eat Lasagna, kill Adamantoise a couple of times, then rest in the x3 EXP hotel. Obviously you can opt to just not do that, but it really shouldn't be a feature.

120v

i said it in the other thread, take out that shitty harmonica music. that's scarred into brain forever

how about having to not refuel your car.... was there any point in that? other than "immersion"

Koozek

Ctrl+F "Stella"

Disappointed.
18dda031bf35428bfc6ce6f790cf1014.gif

Whoa, what beef do you have with Noctis' Versus outfit? It's the fucking best lol
18dda031bf35428bfc6ce6f790cf1014.gif

Maybe because it's already in the game?
I meant these:
whereisversus6103.jpg

Make the combat like Kingdom Hearts 2 for 1, including some sort of quick menu for spells.

Gambit system for party members and ability to switch to other members of party on the fly.

Mailbox

So i've been looking at the game with a fine tooth comb recently to figure out what should be altered to give a better experiance. (both via pacing and gameplay alterations) Here's the QOL/ gameplay alterations i would suggest either to tabby or to modders [warning its a lot!]:

- Lower Bouvelle mines boss level from 53 to 25 (and whatever stats that indicates). Every enemy is level 5-7 but the boss is so overleveled that its insane. Also edit that moment when he is supposed to slice you down, its weird and kinda janky.

- Lessen the amount of bombs in Costlemark ._.

- Create an item limiting system. Do it like KH1, where you have 99 limit on items in your stock, but you can only take like 5-10 items with you into battle of your choice. This would allow people to actually experiment with the directional imputs, make raising allies more important, and increase difficulty substantially since you can't make every battle a battle of attrition.

- if possible, alter animation canceling on noctis. there is some animation cancelling, but with some attacks you are stuck in your animation for too long. Allowing us to roll away from an attack exactly when we do see it coming would be a godsend

- Dear god, alter how battle zoning works. You should never be allowed to exit a battle accidentally. implement a timer for escape (instead of instant) and allow the size to increase a bit to accommodate if an enemy is on the edge of the field. Also, there are 2 secret Malbros near Pitioss whose battle zone is horribly small. Basically, Make them Larger, more malleable, and offer return-ability w/o instant exit.

- This one is just a personal opinion after having done a level 1 run, but change "what" levels mean. The game is pretty easy even at level 1 (this is mostly due to the item system above) Like maybe just have levels alter HP and MP stats and have all normal stats just be done via ascension? Like, have Levels give like 5-10 AP each level.

- Alter what L2/LT does. Make it a second context menu like L1/Lb. Characters in this game are more of a resource that you manage for attacks and i-frames, so for this, up,right, and left would allow us to change the tactic of a character. Defensive pushes them away and makes them defensive, support makes them more inclined to help allies and back you up on enemies, offensive makes them basically what they are now i guess. Holding Down summons (animation should be the Alterna animation which then makes Noct kneel. Makes it more epic that way)

- Alter "when" you can summon. I personally think that allowing you to summon when you have full amiger & full mp. Activate it as above stated. Since summons act similarly, which summon you get should still be based on geography like normal.

-Allow Bahamut summon in the open world. He has an animation, use it!

-Make overworld ost act the same in day as it does at night. The OST for just roaming is so pretty, but most people don't hear it b/c everything literally stops it, from enemy encounters to just opening a map. Takes forever to come back on, so make it come back on super quick, yeah?

- Alter which banter come when. I love the banter in this game, but some of them repeat far too often. There is a LOT of banter in this game, and a bunch that can be added into the rotational movement banter.

- MY GOD, fix random encounters. Having a Gigantoad or sabertusks literally spawn right in front of you putting you into battle is such an immersion breaker. Never allow spawning of enemies in front of the player, and make the respawner only work when noct isn't near.

- on that note make Nif forces more varried in the late game. I only ever get assassins and axemen in late game. There are many many more types, just up-level them based on chapter and, yeah... just spice it up a bit. Thx.

- Increase veriety and density of animal locations. Loads of enemy types, but you mostly see the same old faces if you don't search around. (There's a hidden Bloodhorn I found that was level 52 which i also noticed no wiki had info on. Was a great bossfight :3) Also, Some enemies are hunt-only. Have a few hunt-only enemies just around the place.

- give animals patrols. There was a promo vid of a bunch of Mesmenir galloping around and you running with them on a chocobo in the Vesperpool. You can't do that in the real game b/c Most animals just stay in a set location and gallop in circles. Allow them to roam inset patrols or something. There are animal crossings, so maybe develop animal crossings more to be in tune with this idea!

- Have more enemies that are "weather dependent". Afaik, only the Gigantoad is weather dependent on its spawning. I would like to see a few extras enemy spawning, like more scorpions during dust-storms, or something.

- On that note, Increase variety of Daemon encounters in areas. There are a LOT of daemon types, but at night you only ever encounter Iron/Red Giants + a few minor enemies. Give the other guys a shot, yeah? Seriously, more Nagas, Deathclaws, Hobgoblins, Lichs, and Hecteyes in the open world at night would make nights so much more terrifying and interesting.

- Some areas of the world are "spawn free", yeah... sure... but don't have any "spawn free" areas at night that aren't a pitstop or haven. Sometimes I'm out at night and nothing spawns for a while b/c i'm in areas that are spawn free. Nights get way less scary when you know where what will spawn :/

- Give us Wild Chocobos. Wiz talks about them, there are models and behaviors. Just give them damn it!

- Do NOT hide the Zu fight in rock of ravatogh behind a hunt. Its the only dungeon with a hidden boss, and a dungeon boss specific cutscene that most people never see b/c people just go in and never fight the Zu. ffs. what were they thinking with that.

- This one is more of an idea than anything and not required BUT:
--Alter magic as follows:
// Have each weapon allow for a number of spells (flasks) to attach to it. (different for each weapon)
// Each weapon can only have 1 offensive skill and 1 support skill.
// Instead of attributes to a spell like stop-cast, or heal-cast, just make them stop magic and cure, etc.
// Use magic via L2+O or L2+Triangle (like in comrades)
// Magic uses MP
// Limit how much magic you can put into a flask based on ascension menu progression (make a few nodes)
// When you use a spell, that flask goes away from the weapon.
// Royal arms have their own special spells (like the Blade of the Mystic could offer a strength boost spell instead of that animation that boosts noct's strength, something like that for each). As they are used, it just takes time to replenish the spell.
// Destructive spells have a cool down before next destructive spell use.

I think this system allows for more variety, less abuse, and still can offer that destructive force and environment change that already occurs.

I legit love the game, but of all of these were fixed, i would be in bliss :D
I'm sure I'm missing a few things though.

Make the combat like Kingdom Hearts 2 for 1, including some sort of quick menu for spells.

Gambit system for party members and ability to switch to other members of party on the fly.

Dude... at least read the OP before posting....

True Fire

I really want a soundtrack expansion mod, like the ones Skyrim and Fallout 4 got. I love Shimomura, but XV's filler music is rough.

Golnei

I really want a soundtrack expansion mod, like the ones Skyrim and Fallout 4 got. I love Shimomura, but XV's filler music is rough.

You could always replace some of the less impressive tracks (Altissia...) with Shimomura music from other games - though with the ability to play music ingame, there might be less of an incentive to add new music cues instead of just replacing tracks.

Keym

- Enemy rebalance. If anything barely sneezes on the party, everyone gets knocked down. Change that. It's annoying.
- Don't freeze the battle when going through the item menu. It breaks the flow for the worse.
- Add some way to add every tech the bros learned to the skills menu in battle. Going to the main menu to change it mid-battle when you need a different skill is incredibly stupid.

silva1991

Somehow change the combat from "holding the button" to "tapping the button" and make it feel good and natural like most action games. It will greatly make the combat more enjoyable.

maybe remove the magic bottle system and make the magic similar to KH?

Turn based combat

+

with Lost Odyssey camera work.

Actually just copy LO's entire combat.

Gbraga

A mod that limits item usage and makes the game harder in general would be great. It should also completely rework quest rewards, or at least have level scaling on bosses. Being punished by doing sidequests with main story bosses that die in 5 seconds is the worst thing in RPGs.

Mailbox

It really depends on which tracks you are talking about.
I listened to the whole OST and most of the amazing tracks are hidden off from the player.

Honestly just make the roaming music appear quick, alter Altissia to have valse di fantastica instead of that weird music, and maybe give some of the special areas (like the apartment complex pitstop) different music, and its all good.

I don't think it needs an expansion, just a retooling of what plays when.

A mod that limits item usage and makes the game harder in general would be great. It should also completely rework quest rewards, or at least have level scaling on bosses. Being punished by doing sidequests with main story bosses that die in 5 seconds is the worst thing in RPGs.

YES!

Also, NG+ should have enemies that are 50 levels above their normal versions.

Somehow change the combat from "holding the button" to "tapping the button" and make it feel good and natural like most action games.

You can already do that.
I recommend just experiment with direction inputs and combos. Personally understanding how animation timing and combos work in the game made it start to feel good and natural.

- Add some way to add every tech the bros learned to the skills menu in battle. Going to the main menu to change it mid-battle when you need a different skill is incredibly stupid.

Maybe something like: Open a submenu if you hold the ally skill long enough? I could see that working

Lakuza

Combat:
  • Revamp summon system (make it manual summoning even if it means weakening summon strength)
  • Allow equipment decks that you can toggle between during battle (This way can have mutliple magic equipped on all slots on one deck, with a press of a button swap back to weapon deck)
  • somehow mod some infantry to fight similar to Aranea (jetpack style)
  • Party Skill cycling (similar to gear decks but being able to change current ally skill without going into menu
  • More commands to direct AI better
  • Change enemy behaviour to make them better to fight (like master tonberries which just become a counter fest)
  • Replenish mp when attacking in the air to make air combat last longer
  • item limit to make game harder

other:
  • manual warping with aiming
  • multiple hunts
  • Party system (add iris, aranea and cor as party members)
  • better new game + mode where enemies scale
  • Add world of ruin as a place you can teleport to using Umbra

Survival mode comparable to something like Fallout New Vegas/Fallout 4. Co-op multiplayer in the main campaign would be neat too. I know the latter might sound unreasonable but it has been known to happen with single player PC games (and who knows how modders might be able to work with the existing netcode)

Mailbox

If they fix "the roads are perilous at night" I will seriously consider buying it again.

That's a level oriented thing. At a high enough level iggy stops doing that

How is it unreasonable for a more responsive, interesting and impactful combat system? Its what I want for a mod. Its not derailing anything at all, and probably will be completely possible.

This is about what you want modders to achieve. Altering the battle system completely is exactly the definition of unreasonable.

Saying "make it kh" is exactly derailing because it adds nothing to the "what" of what you want in a mod. If you want something to be kh esque at least be specific about what.

R3birthFl4me

Neo Member
The most important thing, make the bushes invisible so I can see my characters during fights and also fix the rest of the camera problems.

VariantX

-I feel like the magic and magic crafting system is more of an annoyance than it is a boon. I would like it to be changed up a bit, not so much as to gut it and put a traditional version in, but treat magic more like an item and have an extra Item category for it exclusively instead of taking up a weapon. There would be limited slots which you could unlock through either progression of the skill table or directly leveling the characters...however you want to do it.

-Probably open up and expand upon the skill trees too. They just feel a bit too simple compared to something like PoE..hell compared to FFXII.

-Get rid of the magic self damage. I cannot control where my party members go therefore the idea of selfdamage is mindboggling when I cant control where they are at a particluar time and place.

-Speaking of A.I. we need some sort of simplistic version of the gambit system back to tailor party behavior more precisely to what is needed. Combine that with FFXIII's paradigm system and you can swap out preset behaviors on the fly as the battle conditions change.

-Apply a transparency effect to objects like trees in dense forested areas, or caves during battles its surprising how little you can see when fighting daemons in the forest at night...hell its hard to see during the day.

-Maybe let players have access to some of the unused assets to do something with them possibly?

- pan the battle camera a bit further out
- somehow fix the magic system and maybe diable friendly fire
- change summoning from conditional to something like limit-bar in other FF games
- unlimited chocobos (purchase instead of rent)
- take several hunts at once, just like side quests

Top Bottom