• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Denuvo DRM cracked

hiryu64

[tons of research]
Thanks for this. I had actually done similar research, but never got around to posting it. Having read a bunch of stuff, including a detailed Gamespot forum post on how Denuvo works, a thread on how Denuvo works from a post on a cracking community, Denuvo's own site, and my own experience with Denuvo software, I've softened my stance on Denuvo somewhat. Denuvo is as harmful to a system as the developers who implement and integrate the Denuvo API make it to be. I'm willing to eat my hat on that point and fully admit that I was in the wrong there. I showed my ass, and I'm sorry.

The tl;dr on the mechanism by which Denuvo works is that a game designed to work with Denuvo is compiled into an incomplete binary file, and then the game downloads missing code libraries/functions that are customized to a user's specific machine configuration.
r/goldcakes said:
So, after successful authentication that is verified by Steam or Origin, Denuvo then patches your binary with specific codepaths that will ONLY work on your specific processor.

You can't patch these away, because the game relies on them to work and the functions are crucial to the game. You can't just collect one and patch it into the "some-parts-missing" binary, because it'll only work on your processor AND you will trip the challenging integrity checks that seem to be dynamically generated, again, based on your processor. Not to mention the whole scheme is incredibly obfuscated.
Technically, Denuvo's not a software package that wraps around an executable as much as it is a set of code functions that are integrated into existing game functionality at the programmer level. Theoretically, these hooks could be removed without much trouble, depending on how it was implemented.

Truth be told, the biggest convincing factor for me is that I had installed and played RE7 to completion and had no idea that it contained Denuvo until the Mania debacle blew up. I've since uninstalled the game, but I scanned my own system for any residual files or registry keys associated with Denuvo, and found absolutely nothing. So I won't have any reservations about downloading and running Mania, but I'd be interested in seeing if there's any unusual disk or network activity associated with it (I don't think there will be, but it's worth checking).

I still absolutely disagree from a principle standpoint with sneaking in controversial anti-tamper functionality and DRM-type stuff in general. Still, it seems that a lot of ire stems from some previous poor Denuvo implementations that may or may not be linked to actual system damage, and that reputation is proving to be very tough to shake. And technically Denuvo isn't DRM so much as it is a system that enforces existing DRM and prevents the executable from being tampered with, but I think that's an overly fine distinction for the purposes of this discussion. Denuvo still comes with plenty of other reasons to dislike the software: the inability to mod the executable, the ongoing need to periodically phone home whenever any hardware or driver changes are made, among others. I still believe that we should make noise about stuff like this, but all in all, Denuvo's not anything like SecuROM.

Still salty that we found out about it after the game launched, though. Bad optics. That said, I'm about to install and play it. Might as well since I can't get a refund ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Update #2: I've sought further clarification regarding pre-existing playtime in the emulator as Valve's response to that part wasn't entirely clear, however I was told in no uncertain terms that the gift copy of Sonic 1 isn't a factor at all (i.e. contrary to what I assumed, it doesn't matter if you've sent it to a friend or traded it away).

Update #3: As expected, Valve says the refund request system would probably deny a request if you'd already spent 2+ hours in the Genesis/MegaDrive emulator prior to it being added to pre-orders, however if you were to instead to submit a support ticket, then that detail would be taken into account. So, just to recap, if you've been having difficulty with receiving a refund despite not having played Sonic Mania for 2+ hours:

1) Don't use the refund request system
2) Instead, go to your purchase history page, find your Sonic Mania pre-order transaction, click it, click Sonic Mania, and lastly click "I have a question about this purchase"
3a) If you don't have 2+ hours of playtime in the emulator, explain that the refund request system was mistakenly denying your requests on the basis of purchase date
3b) If you do have 2+ hours of playtime in the emulator but this was accrued prior to Sonic 1 being added to pre-orders, make this abundantly clear

Your refund should be approved.

Mifec

It took them roughly a week to crack it and they were also cracking the latest version of RE7 at the time too. Agents of Mayhem was 10 days. Newest version of Denuvo is falling faster and faster.

Sayad

It's been cracked for those that dislike Denuvo.
Did it just now get cracked?! I was under the impression that Denuvo prevent mods, and since I've been seeing a lot of Mania mods stuff on youtube since the PC launch, I just assumed it was already cracked!

Did it just now get cracked?! I was under the impression that Denuvo prevent mods, and since I've been seeing a lot of Mania mods stuff on youtube since the PC launch, I just assumed it was already cracked!

I believe so...

The cracked version includes the fix for the always-online bug that was in the initial release.

Paragon

My understanding was that it prevents you modifying the executable. Not all modifications require that. Ultrawide modifications frequently do.
I had also read that it's not really possible to remove Denuvo from a game, only bypass the online activation checks.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
It's been cracked for those that dislike Denuvo.

Doesn't really solve the problem for those of us who dislike it - the game that's distributed officially still has it, and relying on 3rd party hacks is not a real longterm or safe solution.

Pizza

... and there it is, pirates win, paying customers are stuck with Denuvo

Nah, I own the game now. I can delete the Steam one off my computer and download the cracked version guilt-free if modding becomes a thing. The drm hasn't impacted me personally yet

horkrux

... and there it is, pirates win, paying customers are stuck with Denuvo

If doubters are right and Denuvo stops working in x years, I'll just download the crack. Meanwhile I'm just going to play the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Since pirates will have to manually download their patches, I think they're actually worse off. At least that's what people always bring to the table when you nag about the game being tied to Steam. But Denuvo seemingly takes first priority over this so it doesn't matter anymore.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
its somewhat amusing that the people defending Denuvo are the ones who are pointing to the crack as a solution in case shit goes south. Shows you how little they care or understand DRM issues at heart.

Ascheroth

If doubters are right and Denuvo stops working in x years, I'll just download the crack. Meanwhile I'm just going to play the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Since pirates will have to manually download their patches, I think they're actually worse off. At least that's what people always bring to the table when you nag about the game being tied to Steam. But Denuvo seemingly takes first priority over this so it doesn't matter anymore.
I still think it's fundamentally backwards that you have to rely on pirates if your paid products stops working because of publishers fighting pirates.

horkrux

I still think it's fundamentally backwards that you have to rely on pirates if your paid products stops working because of publishers fighting pirates.

For sure, it's not an adequate solution. But if s.o. claims pirates are better off then I can only point out that legitimate customers have the same options should the DRM kick the bucket.

Part of me hopes Sega will remove the DRM officially​ to get some good PR. Part of me also expects Sega won't give a shit and let the pirates off with the better version. It took a week to remove what took Sega 2 weeks to implement (I know they said the port was delayed for optimization​ problems, but the devs said the delay had nothing to do with them and 2 weeks is not enough to fix that many probably the PC could of had).

Mifec

My understanding was that it prevents you modifying the executable. Not all modifications require that. Ultrawide modifications frequently do.
I had also read that it's not really possible to remove Denuvo from a game, only bypass the online activation checks.

This is correct. It bypasses all the checks and triggers in the exe.

Ascheroth

For sure, it's not an adequate solution. But if s.o. claims pirates are better off then I can only point out that legitimate customers have the same options should the DRM kick the bucket.
Well, sure. The fact that legitimate customers have this option is great - I'm just saying that the fact that this option even needs to exist is what's wrong.
Pirates don't pay. A paying customer should never have a worse product than a thief, that's insanity.
But it's a prevalent thing in the gaming industry for some reason.

VariantX

What is even the point? Denuvo does nothing. People who don't pirate get to jump through hoops. People who do just wait for the crack and slide on through hassle free. Does it make pubs feel better and sleep well at night? I guess you can't put a price tag on a good night's sleep...

Pirates don't pay. A paying customer should never have a worse product than a thief, that's insanity.
But it's a prevalent thing in the gaming industry for some reason.

In order to use my credit card online, I have to enter the expiration date and security code. This is somewhat annoying. I'm a legitimate customer, why should I have to prevent the bank from fraudsters?

Peltz

In order to use my credit card online, I have to enter the expiration date and security code. This is somewhat annoying. I'm a legitimate customer, why should I have to prevent the bank from fraudsters?

Wow, this analogy fails so hard man.

That's to protect you, not the credit card company.

Even with it cracked, this whole thing made me totally lose interest in this game. I was all set to buy day 1, then this, now I want to never buy at all as a fuck you to whoever made this decision.

Shifty

Here's hoping they actually bother to remove it. Maybe doubtful after the "our implementation was optimized super hard to not affect anything" narrative though...

PMS341

Even with it cracked, this whole thing made me totally lose interest in this game. I was all set to buy day 1, then this, now I want to never buy at all as a fuck you to whoever made this decision.

Buy it on a console without Denuvo. The game is fun.

Time to patch it out Sega. Hope it was worth the cost, negative press, and lost sales on what was the first Sonic review darling in a long, long time.

Keep this crap out of Forces too. (Of course they won't.)

MUnited83

For you.

You honestly deserve a tag just for this post. That's the most terrible analogy i've heard in a long time.

Shifty

No, you're not responsible for credit card fraud, the CC company is. In the US at least.

54870469.jpg

Blue-kun

I'm glad I decided to check this thread after the title change, as I got to see this fantastic analogy being used. Truly the most incredible thing, thanks, guys.

On topic, though, that's another win for the pirates... or for legit consumers who are going to have to rely on the pirates to get the best copy of a product they legally bought.

Ron Mexico

In case anyone happens to stumble across this, there's been a bunch of threads in OT in regards to disputes and the like, but the short version is this...

No, you're not responsible for credit card fraud, the CC company is. In the US at least.

...is entirely incorrect. You as the borrower must report any issues to the card provider within 60 days of the receipt of your billing statement. The anti-fraud measures instituted by most card issuers now exist to assist the borrower, not to absolve them from any responsibility.

As for Sonic, still a no-buy until it's removed completely. More a matter of principle than anything.

Top Bottom