• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo Servers Go Down Leading To Some Games Becoming Unplayable On Steam

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I’m certain there’s a special place in hell for devs/publishers that implement DRM in singleplayer games.

the-office-dwight.gif

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Someone remind me why always online services are a good thing
I believe always online isn't used just as copy protection, some companies probably like enforcing it to guarantee data collection on their userbase.

Last edited:

Mithos

The only reason I became SOMEWHAT more tolerant of Denuvo's existence over the years is that more and more studios/publishers started to remove it from their games some time after the release.

I consider all games with denuvo infection to be not released/early access/alpha/beta take your pick.

Graciaus

Denuvo is pointless anyway. The people who are going to pirate will do it no matter what. The only ones who are punished are the paying customers.

Tunned

If it didn't had to check 2nd time, it would just be a copy free to be pirated
I see, true, the server checks the game ID so that it's the same. But then the activation code can be linked only to the account/pc that activated it, but that would be a whole other nightmare for game ownership.

Still, as many say, Denuvo should be taken out of games once it is cracked, there is no better way around it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sunk to a new low.

Bob: Hey Mike, I cant play Sniper Shooter tonight

Mike: Why not?

Bob: It's down

Mike: What's down? Your ISP?

Bob: Nope

Mike: You got a blackout?

Mike: Your system on the fritz?

Mike: Xbox or PSN online is down? Steam lobbies down?

Mike: The what is it?

Bob: Denuvo is down

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's good time to feel happy of not getting anything on release date so at lower cost the disgust is much less... I was srsly considering leaving Shadow of the Tomb Raider campaign cause the performance on the towns is just abismal...

Fbh

Guess I can get it with new games.
But older stuff that has been cracked already can fuck off with Denuvo or any other form of DRM really. If it's already on torrent sites and I paid for it at least don't give me a worse experience than pirates

BreakOut

DRM is legit fucking stupid. The game will be cracked if people want to crack it. It’s fucked up because you already don’t really on a digital copy of some thing, and even if you consider it yours the truth is it could be pulled or locked or whatever. And on top of that now a company fuck up lock you out of it. It’s like getting hit so many different ways for the illusion of security that every developer and gamer knows doesn’t work.
I wonder if companies will ever just move on from that shit and accept it.

Banned
I personally look down on anyone who buys a game on Steam when it's also available on GoG... YOU ENABLE THIS! If GoG sold more copies of third party games than Steam, publishers would be more likely to release without DRM

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

Shmunter

DRM is legit fucking stupid. The game will be cracked if people want to crack it. It’s fucked up because you already don’t really on a digital copy of some thing, and even if you consider it yours the truth is it could be pulled or locked or whatever. And on top of that now a company fuck up lock you out of it. It’s like getting hit so many different ways for the illusion of security that every developer and gamer knows doesn’t work.
I wonder if companies will ever just move on from that shit and accept it.
DRM as much as it sucks is necessary. Yes, game will be cracked….but till then, sales take place. The longer the drm holds up, the bigger the sales window. Especially important for regions where copyright is not a serious matter.

Last edited:

Banned
DRM as much as it sucks is necessary. Yes, game will be cracker….but till then, sales take place. The longer the drm holds up, the bigger the sales window. Especially important for regions where copyright is not a serious matter.

I still don't believe that anyone who would want to pirate a game would not do it simply because they have to wait a week

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
DRM as much as it sucks is necessary. Yes, game will be cracker….but till then, sales take place. The longer the drm holds up, the bigger the sales window. Especially important for regions where copyright is not a serious matter.
Bullshit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still don't believe that anyone who would want to pirate a game would not do it simply because they have to wait a week
Yeah. When I was a kid I would pirate. If there was no cracked version, I would not simply materialise money to buy it. My parents had no money.
now I’ve not pirated a game for forever. I have plenty of 360 and ps games… and like 600 stream games.
but In recent years I only play certain games. It’s the best feeling buying new games on release and just playing it.
Believe me. I would love to get half life 2 officially when it came out. The thief version was broken af lol. But I was not a lost sale. I would not buy it no matter what.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Yeah. When I was a kid I would pirate. If there was no cracked version, I would not simply materialise money to buy it. My parents had no money.
now I’ve not pirated a game for forever. I have plenty of 360 and ps games… and like 600 stream games.
but In recent years I only play certain games. It’s the best feeling buying new games on release and just playing it.
Believe me. I would love to get half life 2 officially when it came out. The thief version was broken af lol. But I was not a lost sale. I would not buy it no matter what.
This is the truth, most pirated copies are by people who would never have payed for it any way. There is some small percentage I'm sure but not worth to defile the game and experience with Denuvo. Rather, it might add to the awareness of the game and even increase sales and keep the reputation high for the company.

Last edited:
There was a long period of my life during which I could download games all the time, install them... check them out... remove them.

I got steam and used Humble Bundle and the sales to build a solid library there, I have one on PS and Epic... I have little time to play games, let alone pirate them anymore.

Fuz

Banned
I wish I pirated that.

Took weeks to make it work because of that fucking steam. Not to mention how much it cost me since we didn't have flat tariffs for internet back then.

Top Bottom