• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Desktop Coffee Lake CPUs to be available Oct 5th

Firebrand

Sweclockers reporting that the first bunch of Coffee Lake CPUs for desktop computers will launch on Oct 5th, with availability on the same day. This is according to sources to Finnish tech site Io-Tech, and not official info.

Three models are mentioned, with pricing:

i7 8700K 6c/12t, €419
i5 8600K 6c/6t, €299
i3 8350K, 4c/4t, €199.

These are prices in Finland that might seem high compared to USD ones, but for comparison the i7 7700K seems to had a MSRP of around €400 at release.

(Overc)lock if old.

5a4c.png

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/european-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-prices-spotted-in-germany.html

TheTrain

I haven't followed too much the progress on the coffee lake state but have Intel confirmed that it will require a new mobo despite being on the same socket as Skylake?

Firebrand

Durante

By far the most interesting thing about these is whether they will use a ring bus or a mesh interconnect.

If the former, I expect the 8700k to be the best gaming CPU in pretty much everything by a decent margin.

Fluloco

What about the motherboards? Usually, how much does it cost an acceptable MB with a brand new chipset/socket?

Plum

What about the motherboards? Usually, how much does it cost an acceptable MB with a brand new chipset/socket?

If you're wanting Z370 for overclocking you'd be spending at least $80-$100. More if you want higher quality or are going with a M-ATX or Mini ITX form factor. It's not exactly chump change, especially when an AM4 board for Ryzen CPUs will last until 2020 whilst a Z370 board likely won't support the next gen after Coffee Lake.

Durante

Unlike most the most recent CPU releases by both Intel and AMD, these are mainstream rather than HEDT CPUs, so mainboards shouldn't be too expensive. You can get Z270 MBs starting at around €100.

TheTrain

The worst thing about changing the mobo isn't how much does it cost but the fact that you need to disassemble your case :p

Fluloco

Unlike most the most recent CPU releases by both Intel and AMD, these are mainstream rather than HEDT CPUs, so mainboards shouldn't be too expensive. You can get Z270 MBs starting at around €100.

Awesome thanks! It's the first time I will be upgrading my motherboard + CPU, so I'm going through uncharted paths here haha

Durante

Including high-end Emualtion (Dolphin)?
Yes, though in low-parallelism emus (like Dolphin) the difference to the 7700k will likely be minimal.

It would be a shame if they went with the mesh topology on this too, because for a lot of gaming workloads that would probably make it slower than a 7700k.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
was thinking of getting a 8700K but not if i need a new motherboard. my 6700K hasn't let me down yet so i guess i can hold out for Icelake.

I literally just bought a Ryzen 1600 2 days ago.

F U C K
U
C
K C U F

We've known coffeelake was coming for a long time now and that it'd have 6/12 cores though.

koji

Urgh, that 8700k is pretty tempting... (and I'm on a 5ghz 7700k atm, those leaked i3 coffee lake benchmarks were pretty impressive...)

Bl@de

Curious to see the gaming performance of a 8700k compared to my Xeon 1230. 419€ is a lot of money though :-(

dr_rus

By far the most interesting thing about these is whether they will use a ring bus or a mesh interconnect.

If the former, I expect the 8700k to be the best gaming CPU in pretty much everything by a decent margin.
Should be the old ring bus afaik.

//DEVIL//

I believe so, which is why I won't be buying these

It would appear so, yeah.

Very interested in how these perform. As someone who just took the plunge on an R7 1700, I'm nervous.
Fuck that. I am not buying a new motherboard because they are the same socket. They are just doing this on purpose to drive the motherboard sales as well and make their partners happy. Pass. It's not even that much of an upgrade over the previous CPU in terms of gaming

Xiofire

I literally just bought a Ryzen 1600 2 days ago.

F U C K
U
C
K

I wouldn't worry too much. Your 1600 has the same core and thread count as the 8700K, and from my brief understanding can be OC'd to 3.8GHz fairly easily across all cores.

Coffee Lake is looking to have single core boosts up to 4.3GHz and 4.0GHz across all cores out the box, which is only 200mhz better than your 1600 in multi-threaded applications. Whether these are good overclockers is another story. (Edit: See Durante's post below, this may be total hogwash)

Sure, your 1600 will be worse in single threaded applications, but you'll be competitive in multi-threaded.

And that's comparing it to the 8700K, which will be considerably more expensive than what your 1600 set you back.

Durante

Coffee Lake is looking to have single core boosts up to 4.3GHz and 4.0GHz across all cores out the box
The latest information I read on the 8700k has it boosting to 4.7 / 4.6 / 4.4 / 4.3 GHz with 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 core loads respectively.

This is unconfirmed for now, but would be some extremely impressive clocks if true.

wolgoen

Still chugging along with my i5 2500K Sandybridge.

Which seems to still be a trooper when it comes to benchmarks, it lags behind the newer stuff but not by a big margin.

Renekton

With 50% more cores, can they actually squeeze that kind of turbo clock in 95W? I am sceptical considering Kaby Lake wasn't much better than Skylake despite the process optimization.

Bl@de

The latest information I read on the 8700k has it boosting to 4.7 / 4.6 / 4.4 / 4.3 GHz with 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 core loads respectively.

This is unconfirmed for now, but would be some extremely impressive clocks if true.

That would be impressive. Wonder about OC with clockspeeds like that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, though in low-parallelism emus (like Dolphin) the difference to the 7700k will likely be minimal.

It would be a shame if they went with the mesh topology on this too, because for a lot of gaming workloads that would probably make it slower than a 7700k.

Assuming ring, how do you see the performance of a i7 7700k vs i5 8600K?

Durante

That would be impressive. Wonder about OC with clockspeeds like that.
I'd expect those clocks (if they actually happen) to eat into overclocking headroom.
(Though with very good cooling you should probably be able to at least make the one-core frequency happen for all cores)

Anyway, rumors for single-core turbo range all the way from 4.3 to 4.7 GHz, so we'll see what actually manifests.

OP, when you mention the 7700k being 400 euros, is that specifically in Finland? Any store prices you can mention? Because EU-wide it certainly seems cheaper than that.

Otherwise, definitely gonna be interesting. If these offer higher performance and more cores but are more expensive for it, that'll make comparisons to Ryzen just a bit trickier.

Firebrand

OP, when you mention the 7700k being 400 euros, is that specifically in Finland? Any store prices you can mention? Because EU-wide it certainly seems cheaper than that.
I was mostly interested in comparing MSRP to see if the 2 extra cores meant a price hike, but seems like it's not by a lot if so.

Aside from our commie Scandinavian countries being more expensive you can always find it way cheaper if you look. cdon.fi currently has the 7700K at €339, for instance.

enewtabie

I haven't been following Coffee Lake. Why do you have to go to a new mobo if it's using 1151? Could they bios flash 270s or something like they did with Kaby?

Xiofire

These are crazy numbers, I hope this comes about.

I just hope, after my old 6700K being terrible due to temp spikes, that the thermal paste fiasco is over and they finally go back to soldering the IHS.

Mr Swine

Banned
I haven't been following Coffee Lake. Why do you have to go to a new mobo if it's using 1151? Could they bios flash 270s or something like they did with Kaby?

My guess is that the old mobos aren't made for 6 core CPU's

Also I'm pretty glad I bought a 1600x, while the 8600k will perform much better in ST workloads it should be on par with the 1600x on MT workload

Top Bottom