• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Intel's 8th gen i5 and i7 may feature 6 cores.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with Ryzen scaring Intel? I looked at some benchmarks and it seemed that Intel won in almost every game apart from that tech demo made for AMD GPUs.

Sciz

What's the deal with Ryzen scaring Intel? I looked at some benchmarks and it seemed that Intel won in almost every game apart from that tech demo made for AMD GPUs.

Look at benchmarks for applications that aren't games.

Papacheeks

Banned
A 1600X is all but hard capped at 4GHz for mere mortals. Delidding Intel chips are only if you're trying to push past 5GHz with custom loop. For "normal" people pushing 4.9GHz being at 60C instead of 80C doesn't have much difference. The single threaded performance is what's going to drive gaming performance and the Intel chips still have this in spades.

There's no reason to think these won't overclock ridiculously well coming off the back of a die shrink. Also, having 6 cores on the same uncore ring is going to be a much more efficient than 2x triple core CCXs over infinity fabric.

As long as optimizations like this keep happening then no, intel will not have that crown but in a few titles only.

And with AMD's partnership with BETHESDA among other big publishers and developers I expect multicore, mulithread optimizations on games to get put out more frequently.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm sitting here with a 2500k trying to make my next processor last as long as this one.

Please hit it out of the park Intel.

Been begging for an upgrade forever.
Maybe going 6/12 is the answer.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm still using an i5-760 on an LGA1151 motherboard — now I can get a new processor without buying a new board? Hot dog, I waited 'em out!

RIP DDR4 RAM and m.2 SSDs, though, haha

Caayn

I'm still using an i5-760 on an LGA1151 motherboard — now I can get a new processor without buying a new board? Hot dog, I waited 'em out!

RIP DDR4 RAM and m.2 SSDs, though, haha
Are you sure about that socket? The i5 760 uses a 1156 socket.

ZOONAMI

More than likely it will be a 6 core, 12 thread not a 6 core 6 thread.

I'm talking about the listed i5, as in upgrading for less $ as you can currently do with an amd offering from an older i7.

We'll also probably see ryzen gen 2 around the same time as this, so amd really sort of has forced Intels hand here.

Caayn

wat
my dreams, they're crushed
brrAK.gif

Good, I’m happy AMD has them scared. They can fuck off with X299 for sure, as I’m probably going to use an i7 8700K for my upcoming build.

Interesting to see that it’s still LGA 1151 - I would imagine that would change up the sockets to push Z370/Z390?

prag16

Banned
Intel is panicking because they used to have the whole market to themselves.

No wonder they are shitting themselves.

Are we sure "panicking" and "shitting themselves" are accurate characterizations?

A little competition is good, and as consumers we can reap benefits. But a lot of people seem to be overstating things.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Coffee and Cannon Lake were known to be going to 6-core consumer chips, and that was long before Ryzen was even released.

The only thing you'll end up thanking AMD for, will be the prices.

sleepnaught

Coffee and Cannon Lake were known to be going to 6-core consumer chips, and that was long before Ryzen was even released.

The only thing you'll end up thanking AMD for, will be the prices.

Doubtful, I expect them to launch at the usual prices

LordOfChaos

Intel die sizes have been shrinking for years, even with the added GPUs, and now they decide to add more cores to several lineup tiers.

That's to everyone who thought Intel would be fine without competition as they'd compete with themselves. This is no coincidence. Spooked, maybe not, but definitely mindful of competition providing more cores (and without the massive single core gap of Bulldozer)

It's more the balance of 'games and everything else'. Intel is great for games, but the Ryzen CPUs proven good enough while also beating their ass in terms of performance per dollar on rendering, editing, streaming, etc. Or as AMD likes to show in these nifty little charts:

Hint: The 1800X was half the price of the 6900k when it came out, and it's roughly on par.

RdN

Another big reminder of why competition is important.. People in this forum really need to get this into their heads.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

The 7700K still rules gaming, but Ryzen is winning everything else, which is really bad for Intel.

Another big reminder of why competition is important.. People in this forum really need to get this into their heads.

Except this has nothing to do with Ryzen.

StereoVsn

So, i7 8700k - 6c/12t looks quite interesting. Need to see benchmarks and thermals first though. 7700k is quite suspect with its crazy temperatures.

If anything this will hopefully make overall CPU cost go down including Ryzen.

A French magazine/website allegedly obtained information about engineering samples from Intels Coffee Lake consumer CPUs. Pointing towards a sudden change in core count for Intel's mainstream line of core I CPUs after seven generations without a change in core count.

From the site:
CPU - cores/threads - frequency - L3 - TDP
i7 8700k - 6c/12t - 3.7Ghz - 12MB - 95w
i7 8700 - 6c/12t -3.2Ghz - 12MB - 95w
i5 8600k - 6/6 - 3.6Ghz - 9MB - 95w
i5 8400 - 6/6 - 2.8Ghz - 9MB - 65w

These CPUs are set to use the LGA1151 socket. Which would also mean that the LGA1151 socket is the first consumer socket in a long time to host more than two generations of Intel CPUs. (As long as the chipset will be compatible of course)

Source: https://www.cpchardware.com/coffee-lake-approche/

So likely we'll see the space taken by the IGPU replaced by the extra cores? Or are these going to be fit alongside?

I have a 5820k and X99 board, but I'd like to move to my Z270 board I was using for mining (Some higher end Carbon gaming Mobo I got on sale) because I've just had minor annoyances with my 5820k and X99 setup. So it's good to see that they'll be 1151. That will save me some money.

May end up going AMD later though, we'll see based on Benchmarks and future revisions of both AMD and Intel. Competition is goooood and I'd like to support AMD at some point, but they have to give me a better product than what I have currently with the 5820k at $300.

s_mirage

I'm at the same spot.

I could go Amd but I still want that clock speed for emulation.

I'm in a similar boat too. Single threaded performance has to be significantly stronger than my 3570K@4.4 to get me to upgrade. Ryzen's overclocking seems quite poor, and Intel's continued use of toothpaste for TIM has me nervous if their new chips are lower clocked than Kaby Lake.

5820K still going strong 2.5 years later, no need to upgrade until Lightroom and PS start choking on me. WIth that said thanks AMD for lighting a fire under intel's ass.

Lkr

Good I need an excuse to upgrade my CPU. Still running a 3570k at stock speed because I haven't seen any need to upgrade

Top Bottom