• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 14th Gen rumored to clock to at least 6.2 GHz. Double digital multi-core performance vs. 13th Gen.

Leonidas

Cool that LGA 1700 might get one last series of CPUs.

Glad to see a double digit multi-core increase is possible. If so, Intel is the only desktop CPU company to have double digit multi-core increases every year for the past 3 years on desktop.

Might have to go for the 14900K.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And every time you turn it on

Burning Tom Hanks GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

LordOfChaos

My Life in Dicks or MLID or whatever though

But even still, Meteor Lake is looking potentially very interesting. They seem to be offering the top 128 core Tile GPU down in the 5 series, so in cheaper and thinner and lighter laptops than the 780M IGP from AMD which it seems set to catch, especially with the L4 cache. And, 50% more efficiency than Raptor Lake. Could be appealing. Maybe even Intel handhelds?

Last edited:

Myths

Good grief…

Edit: I’ll be stuck with 13900K for a while, but this is impressive to hear.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
? Ada is more efficient than RDNA 3 this round

They all need to calm down on power
Nvidia GPUs are the most efficient GPUs on the market...

Nvidia's only real GPU competitor is AMD. Both can have poor efficiency when it comes to power consumption. Nvidia's GPUs being more efficient than the competition doesn't automatically mean that their GPUs are efficient.

//DEVIL//

I wouldnt read too much into a site like that. I doubt any of the reports they ever mentioned is true ( in terms of rumors )

Also, they lost when they said Intel 14th gen will use 1700 LGA. that this not gonna happen.

ZoukGalaxy

That's actually great that LGA1700 is still the socket for these new CPUs, I will be able to sell all my i7-13700K and buy the new ones if the performance is significative !

Looking at you 14700k
Happy I Love You GIF by Boomerang Official

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Intel (and Nvidia) needs to work on efficiency. Who cares how powerful it is when it costs half a month's rent to be able to run it?
This is a clear sign of inequality growing: the intended consumer for those products both have the money to buy them and don't care about their power bills.

Goon_Bong

So, 600w CPU draw next? Reminds me of P4 fiasco when Intel tried to go balls out for clocks.
Ahh the old Northwood Pentium 4. Better an generating heat than crunching code.

Funny story - at a workplace many moons ago, we were using Lotus SameTime for instant messaging - with just the right amount of animated GIFs, I could make the Acer workstations of my colleagues with these processors sound like an airport and then shit themselves on demand.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And again rumors pointing to only 6 cores for the next desktop release, if that's true, fuck Raptor Lake-R.

Arrow Lake looks interesting, but the only thing I need to know about it is that will it be supported on Z790 mobos or not - I don't think Z790 support will be there, but we'll see. Provided prices for Z790 and 13700K will go down, both of them will still be available in my country and if $ won't go up to like 100+ RUB cuz of fuckin' Putin, his cocksuckers and ass leakers... I'd rather buy Z790 + 13700K combo instead and be good for at least 4-5 years.

nikos

This is what I may finally upgrade to from a 9900k. I was tempted to upgrade when I got a 4090 but decided to wait and see what 14th gen would be about.

Same for AMD this round 😉

My 5950X is stable af at 5Ghz and runs cool, under a heavy load, such as with streaming at 1080p, while playing games at 4k, with some times compromises. I can say with complete honesty there are very few games that have me dialing shit down. I love my setup and the only way it could be better is if I went hybrid(liquid and air) and OCed maybe another 100-200mhz? Whichever is more stable, imo. Right now, 5ghz is stable enough. FInally, putting in a 4090 or something greater, then... I probably be happy for 2-3 years. Unless shit gets even more stupid, regarding PC gaming.

OverHeat

« generous god »
My 5950X is stable af at 5Ghz and runs cool, under a heavy load, such as with streaming at 1080p, while playing games at 4k, with some times compromises. I can say with complete honesty there are very few games that have me dialing shit down. I love my setup and the only way it could be better is if I went hybrid(liquid and air) and OCed maybe another 100-200mhz? Whichever is more stable, imo. Right now, 5ghz is stable enough. FInally, putting in a 4090 or something greater, then... I probably be happy for 2-3 years. Unless shit gets even more stupid, regarding PC gaming.
Your already old with that 5950x get with the program…joking
My 7950x3d is staying frosty too but look at the news for the 7000 series

Your already old with that 5950x get with the program…joking
My 7950x3d is staying frosty too but look at the news for the 7000 series

I know, I know. I see 6ghz and I get salty, unfortunately, I completely upgraded not, too long ago. Yeah... I warned a good friend of mine about those. He copped one. He just said he doesn't plan to OC. He's the guy that got me into PC gaming, years ago, after a discussion with me, he bought fucking high end parts on a whim and some research, lol. (he had been MIA in PC gaming for the better part of a decade or more)

Last edited:

smbu2000

Considering past trends, Intel will most likely dump lga1700 for something else. If you want to upgrade then buy a new motherboard.

I’m not expecting any more compatible cpus for my Z690 board beyond the current 13th gen cpus.

DonJimbo

Maybe i buy a new pc if the cpu and gpu prices ad performances are good who knows

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just wish we could get a new socket to get past this whole "need a contact frame to not bend the cpu and get bad temps" era

A.Romero

I just wish we could get a new socket to get past this whole "need a contact frame to not bend the cpu and get bad temps" era

Got a 13600K a few months ago and didn't even know about contact frames. The CPU is running within spec.

No OC yet though, it's more than enough at stock for a 3070 and the power consumption is more than enough.

Puscifer

With the proper tweaks in the BIOS and proper cooling you can totally avoid that. Plus, if gaming is the main purpose, a 13600k or refresh equivalent (14600k?) is the best buy ever.
2600K baby! Can't believe how long I ran that with an overclock till I was afraid of the security exploit that never came to be

hlm666

MLID was the shitstain claiming ada was hitting 900 watts, granted this is closer to release than those claims so he might not be as far off the mark and need to reduce his power use claims every month until release like he did with ada.

Buggy Loop

MLID was the shitstain claiming ada was hitting 900 watts, granted this is closer to release than those claims so he might not be as far off the mark and need to reduce his power use claims every month until release like he did with ada.

Ada at 900W? I had not heard that one lol

Top Bottom