• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stormlands and the million-man raid: Obsidian's cancelled Xbox One exclusive

Link.

Throw your mind back to Microsoft sharing a dream of an infinitely powerful Xbox One cloud, a box under your TV able to suck an almost mystical power into your living room, transforming games as we know them. The vision wouldn't quite materialise, but while Microsoft was hallucinating over the cauldron it was also throwing money around - throwing money at Xbox One exclusives to embody this future, and Obsidian Entertainment was spinning in its pot.

"We were given a proposal, the million-man raid," Obsidian co-owner and CEO, Feargus Urquhart, tells me. "Conceptually what came from Microsoft was this idea: imagine you're playing The Witcher, maybe with a friend. What happens if at points in time a giant creature pops up that you can see in the distance and it's not just popping up while you're playing, it's popping up for everybody who's playing. You all rush this creature and there's this haze around it, and as you're all rushing through the haze the game is matchmaking you into 40-man raids who are going to fight the creature.

"Then you fight it, but while the creature is being fought all the footage is being recorded up into the cloud. Then at the end we would come up with some kind of intelligent editing thing which would deliver everybody who fought a personalised, edited video of their participation in the raid. That is what was proposed to us."

"Microsoft's ambition," says fellow owner Chris Parker, vice president of development, "was to do a lot of things and do it very new. Nothing that was standard or typically accepted in video games should be taken as acceptable. It was always, 'Try to get it up to the next level, try and figure out something different or some new way to approach it or put a different spin on it.' Every feature it was, 'How do we change this feature to make it better than it has ever been before?'"

This game was a big deal, an exclusive Xbox One launch game, and barring four and a half years of Armored Warfare cheques it would be the biggest deal Obsidian would ever sign - bigger than Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, the lot. Microsoft was even already talking about a sequel. "They wanted to invest in a developer and IP over the long-term," Urquhart says. "That deal was the largest contract we signed."

The game was Stormlands, codenamed North Carolina, and it would never see the light of day.

More at the link including pictures.

Menome

Sounds very cool. However, given my past performance in Raids, there needs to be no video evidence of that in existence.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sounds very cool. However, given my past performance in Raids, there needs to be no video evidence of that in existence.

I don't think anyone is going to be thrilled about a highlight reel like that after the first time. Interesting concept but not really practical.

Rymuth

Still reading it but--

Nevertheless the demands from Microsoft to reinvent the wheel were high. Kotaku writer Jason Schreier talks about Kinect-powered verbal haggling in Stormlands, in his new book Blood, Sweat and Pixels, which I heartily recommend

Man, I really need to pick up Jason's book.

Arulan

You really have to applaud Obsidian for doing everything in their power to stay independent despite all the hardships they've faced. I believe it's that independent status which have allowed them to maintain the core design priorities that often result in fantastic RPGs, unlike the pivot to mainstream design goals that turned what once were fantastic RPG developers to mediocre ones.

I'm really hoping the end of this Obsidian media blitz results in the announcement of the Cain/Boyarsky project.

I think there is a lot of potential in improving 'post game' 'storytelling', from EUIV's generated histories to Overwatch's POTG.

Sesha

Sounds very ambitious. I can easily see why it got cancelled.

But, jeez how many open world (?) ARPGs did Microsoft start producing and then cancel for Xbone?

Stormlands_01.jpg

Stormlands_03.jpg

Stormlands_02.jpg

Mr. Tibbs

I'm loving this Eurogamer Obsidian coverage. At least the team were able to salvage some of their Stormland ideas with Tyranny.

You really have to applaud Obsidian for doing everything in their power to stay independent despite all the hardships they've faced. I believe it's that independent status which have allowed them to maintain the core design priorities that often result in fantastic RPGs, unlike the pivot to mainstream design goals that turned what once were fantastic RPG developers to mediocre ones.

I'm really hoping the end of this Obsidian media blitz results in the announcement of the Cain/Boyarsky project.

This dedication is great but it also means every project is a calculated risk and one bad project can sink the entire company.

With how Destiny, Anthem, Divison have taken off, their dearth of exclusives, and move toward 'games as a service', I feel as though MS may regret cancelling this (based on absolutely nothing but the above).

Some Nobody

Looking at what they have in this article, I feel comfortable saying cancelling this was a bad move. This game didn't even have to be great. It just needed to look like something that with a sequel would've been "something really special", as they say. At the beginning of console generations you're rarely ever looking for a great game, just something decent enough to be worth playing on your shiny new system.

In time they could have gotten a sequel together that contained many of the (less stupid) ideas. But more importantly they would have created a new IP, which is something that XB1 desperately needs. Yeah at the time there was no way they could know that so many of their big ideas would either get canceled or be poorly received, but that's why your higher-ups get paid so much. :p

So the high demands from MS with that Kinect bullshit were the biggest reasons? No time to fully read it now but a summary?

Impossible deadline. Lots of unfocused features and demands - many of which were experimental, and thus unwieldy. Unreal Engine 4 was still in transition then, and not yet viable for 'next-gen' development.

More staff was thrown at it, which ultimately stymied development. Shut it down in 2012.

Looking at what they have in this article, I feel comfortable saying cancelling this was a bad move. This game didn't even have to be great. It just needed to look like something that with a sequel would've been "something really special", as they say. At the beginning of console generations you're rarely ever looking for a great game, just something decent enough to be worth playing on your shiny new system.

In time they could have gotten a sequel together that contained many of the (less stupid) ideas. But more importantly they would have created a new IP, which is something that XB1 desperately needs. Yeah at the time there was no way they could know that so many of their big ideas would either get canceled or be poorly received, but that's why your higher-ups get paid so much. :p

I agree, but by all accounts it wouldn't have been anywhere near ready for launch. It would have launched like the Order - a tech demo, 15 months too late.

Impossible deadline. Lots of unfocused features and demands - many of which were experimental, and thus unwieldy. Unreal Engine 4 was still in transition then, and not yet viable for 'next-gen' development.

More staff was thrown at it, which ultimately stymied development. Shut it down in 2012.

I agree, but by all accounts it wouldn't have been anywhere near ready for launch. It would have launched like the Order - a tech demo, 15 months too late.

Ah man, a damn shame. The screenshots still look great for a rather old game. Wonder if they could maybe bring it back and take all the time they need.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
This sounds like the "power of the cloud" was actually something they were thinking about well in advance of the XB1, rather than a reactionary bullet point in the face of their hardware deficit that we often hear it was.

Some Nobody

I think a lot of that would be because of the unrealistic demands. If MS had been okay with a shrunken scope, it could've made it out by early 2014--within the launch window of XB1. With Dragon Age several months off and The Witcher not hitting until the next year, they could have carved out a nice little portion of the RPG crowd for themselves. By now we could've been anticipating Stormlands 2 for next year, and that could've been the more ambitious game they hoped for.

Microsoft was so busy trying to make an "experience" that they seemingly got in the way of Obsidian making a "game".

Sentenza

Probably unpopular opinion, but: I would never expect a team like Obsidian to deliver on something like this, that sounds so technology-dependent, so I can see how this eventually got the ax after some (probably unconvincing) prototyping.

Anno

So it seems like this is leading to some info on the Cain/Boyarsky game? Paradox apparently put up the money for this trip, I wonder if that confirms their involvement.

I've always been under the impression that Obsidian's RPG was for 360. It was actually Xbox One, wtf man.

I think a lot of that would be because of the unrealistic demands. If MS had been okay with a shrunken scope, it could've made it out by early 2014--within the launch window of XB1. With Dragon Age several months off and The Witcher not hitting until the next year, they could have carved out a nice little portion of the RPG crowd for themselves. By now we could've been anticipating Stormlands 2 for next year, and that could've been the more ambitious game they hoped for.

Microsoft was so busy trying to make an "experience" that they seemingly got in the way of Obsidian making a "game".

That is definitely possible. They would have taken a risk with the first one, but that's what Sony did too with the first Uncharted, The Last of Us and Horizon. There was no certainty this would sell amazingly well, but they did. MS definitely needs to take some more risks. As much as i like the system and services, i really hate some of the choices that have been made by MS through the years, whether they were warranted or not. True Fantasy Online, greenlighting Fable Legends instead of simply Fable 4 and then later on canning it and closing Lionhead, Closing Press Play, Scalebound cancelation and this.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, there are a lot of Obsidian news lately.
This sounds both interesting and not what I want from an Obsidian game but who knows

Basically it could have been like Destiny in a variety of ways. The first game wouldn't have delivered most of the promises, but they'd have years again to get closer to the original pitch if the game sells well anyway, and as a close to launch exclusive online-focused action RPG by a known developer it probably would have done well. Shame some promising games got cancelled but it takes balls to cut the losses and not cash in on sub-par products just to have a couple exclusives more.

Some Nobody

Worth mentioning, for all the people wondering if this is leading towards new information.

As for Obsidian and Microsoft, whatever bridges were burned now sound repaired, and Urquhart maintains contact. He even says - in response to a question about how hard it is for independent developers to find work today, in an age where publishers do so much more internally - "Microsoft is looking..." which bodes very well.

Currently, however, Obsidian's hands are full, the 175-person studio occupied across four and a half projects: the Tyranny expansion, Pillars of Eternity 2, a small Pathfinder card game, a small idea the studio is "spinning up" and a considerable something else. And I'll tell you a bit more about that next week as well.

It's in the article, but I know a lot of people don't click through.

I've always been under the impression that Obsidian's RPG was for 360. It was actually Xbox One, wtf man.

That is definitely possible. They would have taken a risk with the first one, but that's what Sony did too with the first Uncharted, The Last of Us and Horizon. There was no certainty this would sell amazingly well, but they did. MS definitely needs to take some more risks. As much as i like the system and services, i really hate some of the choices that have been made by MS through the years, whether they were warranted or not. True Fantasy Online, greenlighting Fable Legends instead of simply Fable 4 and then later on canning it and closing Lionhead, Closing Press Play, Scalebound cancelation and this.

To be fair, Scalebound was in development for long and was not looking hot or running decently after tons of money and time thrown at it. A disappointing game would have helped no one really.

Some Nobody

Basically it could have been like Destiny in a variety of ways. The first game wouldn't have delivered most of the promises, but they'd have years again to get closer to the original pitch if the game sells well anyway, and as a close to launch exclusive online-focused action RPG by a known developer it probably would have done well. Shame some promising games got cancelled but it takes balls to cut the losses and not cash in on sub-par products just to have a couple exclusives more.

Does it? Sometimes you don't know how well a given thing is going to work until you try it. I don't mind a developer trying their best but the first game is a "test run" while the second game is a polished, focused title incorporating fan feedback.

We're not just talking about exclusives, we're talking about IPs. Microsoft right now is a Forza/Halo/Gears house, and that's not a good idea. Too much has been canceled, not enough risks have been taken. There are always people who just "assume" businesses know when the right time to cancel a game is, but if that's the case they'd know whether or not a game was going to be mediocre in general. Which means someone should probably explain what happened with Quantum Break.

Most of their canceled titles have come from trying to create experiences, not games. They ask for too many features in a given game then cancel it when it can't hit milestones. Of course they can't, you want to play movies after randomly-generated raids that focus on each individual player. How much time would you have to burn for that instead of just making sure you've got an open-world RPG people really want to play?

Worth mentioning, for all the people wondering if this is leading towards new information.

MS is looking....what is meant here?

If i was Phil Spencer i'd try to make a deal with them again. Kinect is gone, so that's of no concern. Let them make a game like Witcher 3, RPG solely for singleplayer or perhaps bring Stormlands back and if they lack a big enough team let a few of MS' own developers help out. They are doing that for PUBG arent they?

To be fair, Scalebound was in development for long and was not looking hot or running decently after tons of money and time thrown at it. A disappointing game would have helped no one really.

Very true man. That's the thing, we have no idea if it was looking good or bad before cancelation. It looked great to me in the first gameplay video but that was then and just only a small clip of a huge game. It's still disappointing what happened though, no matter who's at fault here.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I wonder if devs could get a clause put into contracts that if a project get cancelled by the publisher the dev can shop what they have around... TBH I dunno if it'll work but there are quite a few cancelled games that I'm sad I won't get to play.

MS is looking....what is meant here?

If i was Phil Spencer i'd try to make a deal with them again. Kinect is gone, so that's of no concern. Let them make a game like Witcher 3, RPG solely for singleplayer or perhaps bring Stormlands back and if they lack a big enough team let a few of MS' own developers help out. They are doing that for PUBG arent they?

Very true man. That's the thing, we have no idea if it was looking good or bad before cancelation. It looked great to me in the first gameplay video but that was then and just only a small clip of a huge game. It's still disappointing what happened though, no matter who's at fault here.

I wanted Scalebound to be amazing, but nothing they showed looked as good as I hoped. Seems to me it was an overly ambitious project for a developer used to fairly straightforward if very unique action games.

bede-x

Yeah, it sounds a lot like Microsoft was trying to force Kinect, power of the cloud and TV into an Obsidian game. They need to get back to approving games instead of trends. It would have been very cool to have an exclusive Obsidian single player RPG on Xbox One, just like Bioware's games did a lot for Xbox/360 earlier, but that obviously wasn't enough any longer.

Shame none of teh cloud stuff never really materialised, it was the chance to give us genuinely new experiences. These last few years have just been last gen games with better graphics, barely anyone has pushed any boundaries.

Probably because they didn't sell 100 million consoles in the first week like Mattrick dreamt was going to happen.

Such a damn shame this was canceled. Microsoft needs someone to fill the BioWare-Shaped hole that was left in their portfolio, and Obsidian would have been perfect. New Vegas is one of my favourite RPGs of all time, I would love to see Obsidian do another AAA game. Sounds like Microsoft wanted Obsidian to deliver too much with too little time.

Reading this definitely left me feeling more optimistic about both Microsoft and Obsidian's future. I would have thought a future partnership would have been off the table after Stormland's cancellation. Good to hear that may not be the case.

JimiNutz

Banned
Fuck I wish Microsoft were actually ambitious like this instead of pumping out the same shit over and over. I'd def jump back into the Xbox platform if they were making interesting concepts like this.

Likely that MS is still open to developers outside of their own company to publish games for. It makes sense. Nintendo and Sony are loaded down with studios but Microsoft only has a handful.

That's good yeah. Right now it seems that even though Xbox players really are wishing for new IP, MS seems to be fine with having the Halo/Gears/Forza and best for multiplatform games system. And with what MS recently said about smaller games....i'm not expecting a whole lot of change. However i think that was about their own developers. Not about a studio such as Obsidian for example.

I wanted Scalebound to be amazing, but nothing they showed looked as good as I hoped. Seems to me it was an overly ambitious project for a developer used to fairly straightforward if very unique action games.

Yeah definitely. It was going to be a open world action RPG but we barely got to see any of that, plus the several delays.

Such a damn shame this was canceled. Microsoft needs someone to fill the BioWare-Shaped hole that was left in their portfolio, and Obsidian would have been perfect. New Vegas is one of my favourite RPGs of all time, I would love to see Obsidian do another AAA game. Sounds like Microsoft wanted Obsidian to deliver too much with too little time.

Reading this definitely left me feeling more optimistic about both Microsoft and Obsidian's future. I would have thought a future partnership would have been off the table after Stormland's cancellation. Good to hear that may not be the case.

That's definitely positive. But if a future partnership happens i just hope MS let's them do their thing and no crazy demands or whatsoever. If Obsidian wants to make it SP only, let them MS. Witcher 3 showed how succesful a SP only RPG can be. But something that is focused on both SP and MP i can see happening too, i mean Cyberpunk will have MP things too after all.

Either way, i wonder if these two already have some things in mind or maybe Obsidian is just saying future deals/partnerships can definitely happen. It's a much better situatuion than what happened between MS and Level 5 though, that's for sure.

I'm convinced that a big reason why MS doesn't have more internal studios is because MS is a big tech company with global internal wage/hours policies that would make it too expensive.

KORNdoggy

Besides the edited video which honestly, who cares about, this doesnt sound all that different to that shitty MMO that ran alongside that crummy sci fi show. I'd remember there were events (bosses) in that game you raced towards, and then fought together in large groups.

This just sounds incredibly lacklustre for what you would exoect from the then much touted "power of the cloud"...i mean, 40 man boss fights? Really? Lol

Does it? Sometimes you don't know how well a given thing is going to work until you try it. I don't mind a developer trying their best but the first game is a "test run" while the second game is a polished, focused title incorporating fan feedback.

We're not just talking about exclusives, we're talking about IPs. Microsoft right now is a Forza/Halo/Gears house, and that's not a good idea. Too much has been canceled, not enough risks have been taken. There are always people who just "assume" businesses know when the right time to cancel a game is, but if that's the case they'd know whether or not a game was going to be mediocre in general. Which means someone should probably explain what happened with Quantum Break.

Most of their canceled titles have come from trying to create experiences, not games. They ask for too many features in a given game then cancel it when it can't hit milestones. Of course they can't, you want to play movies after randomly-generated raids that focus on each individual player. How much time would you have to burn for that instead of just making sure you've got an open-world RPG people really want to play?

Microsoft apparently tried to make the next big RPG, not unlike what they had as an exclusive-ish Mass Effect last generation. Scalebound was just not becoming anything worthwhile (apparently) despite tons of resources, and this Obsidian game could have been good, but probably far from the initial pitches - as I said, Destiny got away with it so who knows how this one would have fared.

I don't think MS has been doing a shabby job with exclusives and game experiences, but nowadays selling different stuff doesn't really work in many ways. Sunset Overdrive was fantastic but it wasn't the usual gritty Xbox action title and nobody bought it. Quantum Break was great but the 60$ 8 hours single player game is no more - either you shoehorn multiplayer (almost shocked MS didn't do that) or make it open world. We also had the amazing Ori, the fun Ryse (linear but can be rather exciting), upcoming indie greatness in Cuphead and Below. And while the console's relatively small install base resizes the franchises' potential, Forza, Gears and Halo are better now than they were for quite a few chapters. All 3 games' latest installment is arguably quite a lot better than the prior 2.

What do they miss is Japanese games like Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata on X360 and RPGs in general. As an X1 owner I'd gladly jump into something like Kingdoms of Amalur if it existed here, but it doesn't really. Other than this I think they're doing a fine job, I own hundreds of games on X1 and I honestly don't care which ones are also available on PS4, it changes nothing in my enjoyment with it. It's too bad however that the whole "no games" belief is real: there ARE many great games, just their size are perceived differently compared to Sony's. The Order is probably more known here in Europe compared to Forza Horizon 3, which says a lot about perception.

So sad MS never had the balls to stick with the XBox One being always online. Cloud could have been something different and special

Not that bothered about this game being canceled more so after Obsidian screwed SEGA despite SEGA putting a ton of cash and effort in alpha protocol

KORNdoggy

Microsoft apparently tried to make the next big RPG, not unlike what they had as an exclusive-ish Mass Effect last generation. Scalebound was just not becoming anything worthwhile (apparently) despite tons of resources, and this Obsidian game could have been good, but probably far from the initial pitches - as I said, Destiny got away with it so who knows how this one would have fared.

I don't think MS has been doing a shabby job with exclusives and game experiences, but nowadays selling different stuff doesn't really work in many ways. Sunset Overdrive was fantastic but it wasn't the usual gritty Xbox action title and nobody bought it. Quantum Break was great but the 60$ 8 hours single player game is no more - either you shoehorn multiplayer (almost shocked MS didn't do that) or make it open world. We also had the amazing Ori, the fun Ryse (linear but can be rather exciting), upcoming indie greatness in Cuphead and Below. And while the console's relatively small install base resizes the franchises' potential, Forza, Gears and Halo are better now than they were for quite a few chapters. All 3 games' latest installment is arguably quite a lot better than the prior 2.

What do they miss is Japanese games like Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata on X360 and RPGs in general. As an X1 owner I'd gladly jump into something like Kingdoms of Amalur if it existed here, but it doesn't really. Other than this I think they're doing a fine job, I own hundreds of games on X1 and I honestly don't care which ones are also available on PS4, it changes nothing in my enjoyment with it. It's too bad however that the whole "no games" belief is real: there ARE many great games, just their size are perceived differently compared to Sony's. The Order is probably more known here in Europe compared to Forza Horizon 3, which says a lot about perception.

The problem with MS and their exclusive output is that they're at the stage where they need to bring in new blood, and making sequels to the exact same games isn't going to convince anyone. Do you honestly think gears of war 5 is going to make someone who doesn't like gears of war care about xbox? Now, sony do this too with The likes of GT and god of war, but they also introduce a lot of new IP's every gen to do exactly what i'm talking about, and they keep doing it regardless of success. MS seem to try it once or twice and then fall back on their pillar franchises. Pillar frinchises only xbox fans really care about...and guess what? They already own the machine that plays them. MS need a good exclusive output that goes beyond the usual. But i just don't see that ever happening. They've become like nintendo in a way. They're so laser focused on appeasing their current fanbase they're blind to the potential buyers who want something other than halo, gears or forza.

blakep267

Eh that initial premise doesn't sound great when you really think about it. Sure the first time would be amazing but I've played plenty of MMO's that have public events. They get boring. It's not something to hang the game around. The game would need to be a very good multiplayer RPG in itself

The problem with MS and their exclusive output is that they're at the stage where they need to bring in new blood, and making sequels to the exact same games isn't going to convince anyone.

Its works for Nintendo, but I forget it's ok for Nintendo to make endless sequels cancel games, leave developers in terrible place, just not MS. The XBox has had quite a number of new games but they haven't worked out ...

My issue with MS is they don't show any faith in an IP or stick with it. RECORE is a fab game and where a sequel to fix many of its issues and it could be a classic, but MS don't stick with any IP that doesn't sell (even if there's load of potential)

Top Bottom