• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lorne Lanning to present in-depth look at ODDWORLD: Soulstorm at EGX

Nicky Ali

https://www.egx.net/egx/news/oddworld-co-founder-lorne-lanning-presents-oddworld-soulstorm

I'm pretty hyped. Oddworld is one of my favourite franchises and one that's really close to my heart, so I'm always happy to hear when new stuff is happening with the series.

Soulstorm was announced way back on March 24th 2016, so fans have been waiting a while for some info, but there has been a very interesting ARG going on which has given some details about the game. (If you want to get involved, you can at the Oddworld Forums. Even the devs from Oddworld Inhabitants will chime in from time to time, which is neat)

I'm hoping this will be our first look at new footage. We haven't really had any aside from this nice GIF of Abe (which, can I just say, looks so good):

d5dkyDS.gif

and this:
"Oddworld: Soulstorm's secrets are starting to be revealed"

The latter of which had almost everyone like: "Holy shit! Was that a Vykker?!"

But, yeah, I'm marking my calendar. It seems like the devs are really taking New 'n' Tasty's praises and criticisms to heart and Soulstorm is going to be a better game for it. Can't wait!

I'd watch Lorne Lanning present a dictionary. Hype.

Been looking forward to this for a while. Interested to see how much of an overhaul it'll be.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've really loved the Oddworld games. Stranger's Wrath on the original Xbox is still one of my favorite games ever. I wonder what this game will turn out to be. Either way I'm in.

Tizoc

Hopefully after this we get a fresh new game and not a remake ;)
Still Exodus wasn't part of the original main games, so I am curious if they want to make it one now?

Gunship

I've really loved the Oddworld games. Stranger's Wrath on the original Xbox is still one of my favorite games ever. I wonder what this game will turn out to be. Either way I'm in.

Stranger's Wrath was up there with the best of the OG Xbox games and still plays really well today. They really nailed the feel of the weapons and combat, the atmosphere was amazing and the production values were through the roof.

Very excited to see what they come up with next.

kc44135

Can't wait to see more of this. Love the series, and New N' Tasty was a great remake,
so I'm expecting this to be too.

Stranger's Wrath was up there with the best of the OG Xbox games and still plays really well today. They really nailed the feel of the weapons and combat, the atmosphere was amazing and the production values were through the roof.

Very excited to see what they come up with next.

Yeah, Stranger's Wrath was awesome. I'd love to see a port of it for PS4/X1, although I doubt that's in the cards, atm. Munch's Oddeysee could be cool too, although I don't care as much about that one, tbh. It hasn't aged too well, IMO.

scitek

Is he still a 9/11 truther?
Probably, but I don't like him for his politics. Though they are kind of what Oddworld is about lol

Btw, I'm still miffed no other games ever tried to mimic the first/third person mechanic of Stranger's Wrath. It worked so well.

jxN3

I literally just seen a video of this guy on Kinda Funny.

He seemed to really have it out for Nintendo, said the Switch would be a failure, essentially. I take it things didn't go well with him and the Wii-U port.

Anyway, New N' Tasty was fantastic, loved it so much I went out of my way to platinum the game. Can't wait for Soulstorm.

He seemed to really have it out for Nintendo, said the Switch would be a failure, essentially. I take it things didn't go well with him and the Wii-U port.

Anyway, New N' Tasty was fantastic, loved it so much I went out of my way to platinum the game. Can't wait for Soulstorm.

He not afraid to chat shit about companies pulling nonsense. He's shit on 360 about about the Munch and Stranger remasters being blocked 'for bullshit reasons'.

ZeroX03

Banned
Really excited for Soulstorm. New and Tasty was fun, been enough time to want to jump back in.

Lorne is weird but I can't deny the quality of the games.

Nicky Ali

Don't worry, I wouldn't say that Lorne hates Nintendo or anything. In fact, I'd say the opposite. He's actually sung Nintendo's praises quite a few times in the past:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-26-lanning-nintendo-is-going-to-be-here-in-100-years

Not to mention that he was also a huge fan of Iwata:

https://venturebeat.com/2013/07/26/...games-to-indie-and-loudly-loves-it-interview/

"When he said that, in my opinion, he was immortalized in the creative community. I would work with him in a second. When a man in that type of position, in a world where the golden rule is the rule and that’s what’s expected at public companies, he stood up and said, 'That’s not what we’re about. We’re about building great stuff. We have great people to build great stuff. We’re gonna do that.'"

When I listened to Lorne talk about this stuff on Kinda Funny all I saw was him just sharing his experience and highlighting something that I'm sure a lot of indie-devs have gone through when working with Nintendo. When he says this sort of thing you can tell it comes from a place of respect for the company and genuinely just wanting to see it improve.

I'm as big a Nintendo fan as the next person, but even I'll admit that they seem to have a lot of problems that really should be addressed.

Yukinari

It should be noted Soulstorm has a different developer than New 'n Tasty.

Thank god for that.

I dont know how anybody whos an Oddworld fan would agree to play another game by them after New N Tasty.

Even with the new controls its not good.

Awesome. I've loved the Oddworld revival in recent years, played through New 'n' Tasty; Munch's Oddysee & Stranger's Wrath on Vita. I know Soulstorm won't come to the platform, but I'm excited to see how they re-imagine Exoddus.

Karsha

Why was New n Tasty so hated? Im an Oddworld fan and I thought it was ok, the only thing that bothered me was the tone but im kinda curios to hear more about it being seen as such a bad remake

KORNdoggy

Why was New n Tasty so hated? Im an Oddworld fan and I thought it was ok, the only thing that bothered me was the tone but im kinda curios to hear more about it being seen as such a bad remake

i think it's just a vocal minority tbh. it reviewed really well and people seem to like it, me included.

what i find weird about just add water no longer being involved is the reasoning. apparently lorne lanning said the distance between the devs (themselves in the US and JAW in the uk) sometimes delayed development, which is understandable. but then a bunch of people from JAW break off to open a new studio called fat kraken, also in the UK, and they're still working on the game with oddworld inhabitants?!? surely that means distance wasn't the issue at all? i'm curious to see what it was that killed the partnership between them because as far as i'm concerned they did great work on new n tasty, munches odyssey and strangers wrath.

So Lorne couldn't show any gameplay because they're trying to secure physical publishing deals which I guess ties them to a rollout schedule later on. But what he did talk about concerning story details and gameplay was interesting. There's a crafting system in the game now connected to how many followers you have with you, and full survival management of the 301 Mudokons you saved in New N Tasty, sometimes with ALL of them on screen at the same time. He also said they focused on more dynamic gameplay/puzzle solving and more ways to use your dudes in gameplay. There's even an option for a perfect run (no followers killed, no enemies killed). Hard to say what all of this means considering they didn't show anything, but it's safe to say Soulstorm is a pretty sweeping re-imagining of Exodus.

Is this an RTS or a sidescroller? It seems to be a RTS.

My best guess is that it's a sidescroller with RTS type elements. We'll see I suppose ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So Lorne couldn't show any gameplay because they're trying to secure physical publishing deals which I guess ties them to a rollout schedule later on. But what he did talk about concerning story details and gameplay was interesting. There's a crafting system in the game now connected to how many followers you have with you, and full survival management of the 301 Mudokons you saved in New N Tasty, sometimes with ALL of them on screen at the same time. He also said they focused on more dynamic gameplay/puzzle solving and more ways to use your dudes in gameplay. There's even an option for a perfect run (no followers killed, no enemies killed). Hard to say what all of this means considering they didn't show anything, but it's safe to say Soulstorm is a pretty sweeping re-imagining of Exodus.
What the hell am I reading

Crafting and inventory for gameplay items. And he kept stressing how flammable the brew is and how it'll tie into gameplay. Deeper characterization for everyone, darker story, more dynamic gameplay, more player agency.

THANGS are happening here.
I was honestly hoping for the new n Tasty treatment for Exodus.

I'm not sure about this :/

I was honestly hoping for the new n Tasty treatment for Exodus.

I'm not sure about this :/

Exodus has always sounded like a compromised vision considering the hyper condensed dev time (9 months!), so they're taking the opportunity to make something bigger, something more ambitious now. I don't want Lorne Lanning back in game development handcuffed to just HD remakes. Oddworld ain't Oddworld if it isn't doing something strange and ambitious. Let this man cook.

Abe's Exoddus is one of my favorite PS1 games, and I don't mind the gameplay changes as long as they keep a similar tone to the original. Still quote that game a ton.

The news broadcasts and the phone calls to disarm the gates are so damn good.

Nicky Ali

Exodus has always sounded like a compromised vision considering the hyper condensed dev time (9 months!), so they're taking the opportunity to make something bigger, something more ambitious now. I don't want Lorne Lanning back in game development handcuffed to just HD remakes. Oddworld ain't Oddworld if it isn't doing something strange and ambitious. Let this man cook.

Preach it 👏

XaosWolf

I was in directly behind Lorna. Y'know, from Facebook? With the artistic friend. That Lorna.
All I could think of when I was watching Lorne was "where did you get your trousers because I need them"

Didn't seem like a relevant question though...

Soulstorm sounds amazing though. <3

Wtf 9 months? That's insane. Exodus was a huge game too.

I never knew about the dev conditions and time constraints. I guess I should trust the team to bring something amazing to the table.

I'll still be in day 1

Top Bottom