• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Soulstorm Is An Epic Games Store Exclusive, Devs Preemptively Address Backlash

Kagey K

Banned
How exactly is Steam supposed to compete with Epic basically bankrolling indie devs for a year?

Use the money they made for almost a decade to become more enticing to developers?

Make quality content themselves?

Assume the fanbase will stay with them and continue to do nothing.

I think we know where they landed, but they could be doing so much more.

Shifty

couldn't they just get the guaranteed sales $$ via a kickstarter or something like that? keeps everyone happy that way

or is Epic offering that much money for an exclusive?
I believe the deal is that Epic will pay out enough money to guarantee that a given title breaks even, whereas a Kickstarter will sink or swim dependent on the appeal of its content and the size of its fanbase.

Strings-attached as it may be, it's a very lucrative offer.

Where's the proof that they are doing any of that?
Nicking kickstarters - Shenmue 3
Pressuring devs with claims that the store isn't open to simship - DARQ (bottom image, yet AAA titles do in fact simship)
Leaning on Steam's VR functionality for moneyhatted exclusive titles - Tetris Effect

Where's the problem?
If you're still asking that after ~8 months of these threads then I don't know what to tell you.

Honestly, if you can't be bothered to properly adress my points *snip*
I think that's quite enough. It's become pretty clear that you're a common-or-garden EGS stan with some faux intellectualism around the edges to mask the smell of your bad arguments and shitty attitude.

I would love to have a sensible discussion, but it doesn't seem to be possible with you. I wonder what the difference is between an EGS critic here in this thread whom I could see eye to eye with, and you?
You can't make disingenuous representations of the opposing stance and also claim to want a sensible discussion.

You either can that shit and approach this without the veneer of "i'm right and the people that disagree are whiny petty wrong'uns", or keep unfurling more and more rope with which to hang yourself.

Maybe their frame of discussion is reasonable and doesn't sacrifice facts for feelings.
And yet I don't see you pointing out where I "sacrifice facts for feelings".

Seems like you're letting your fee-fees get the better of you, resulting in incoherent rage-driven rambleposts that utterly fail to address the arguments at hand.

That your main concern seems to be 'fragmentation' is laughable at best.
I don't see you refuting it so much as dismissing it out of hand, as you seem to do with any argument that don't fit neatly into your little box of "the game devs tho" rebuttals.

A behaviour that's laughable at best, frankly.

But you don't need to bother responding, this is taking too much of my time and frankly, it's going to waste if you can't even be bothered to adress my points honestly.
Oh I'm sorry, is mister "gamers feel like someone is going to take away their toys" complaining about dishonest discourse?

Get out of here you goddamn hypocrite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom