• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassins Creed Unity, It's Actually Pretty Good !

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I recently had the chance to play through Unity and it's Dead Kings story add-on on my Pro with boost mode ... and it's an absolutely fine game. I looked through DF's videos of the boost on/off comparisons and it makes a huge difference to have the game running at a nearly locked solid 30 FPS instead of hovering around 25. I never got to (and don't want to) play the un-patched version of the game but even in its most recently patched state there were a whole host of bugs, characters hanging in mid air, Arno just running randomly in one direction without my input in one instance etc.

But despite the above, I had a better time with this game than Syndicate. The graphics, even at a lower resolution (900p vs 1600p on Pro) have multiple aspects which look better than Syndicate. The lighting, crowd density and the 2 central character models (Arno and Elise) look better than anything in Syndicate. Paris is also a much more interesting place than London so that adds more to it.

The combat is the weakest part of the game imo, just a lot of button mashing with timed parries. I only upgraded equipment one time during the game and finished it with that set. The world map wasn't as big as the last-gen AC games but it didn't need to be. The smaller, more focused, map meant that traversal was generally much quicker even with the lack of horseback or other quick mobility options (besides fast travel).

I did skip most of the optional content and only did some of the Paris stories with my focus primarily on the main story and I would recommend this to anyone wishing to start the game at this time, as it is a much more enjoyable experience if you're staying away from the filler content.

If this game had more dev time and more polish, this could easily have been the true successor to Assassins Creed 2's success for the franchise.

And some pics to cap it off.

There is a lot of detail for just a 900p frame.

assassinscreedunity_2tsxy5.png

assassinscreedunity_2k6awf.png

The two central characters are the stars of the show. They both look and act believable and the interaction between them is the best part of the game.

assassinscreedunity_24oxbp.png

assassinscreedunity_2iubw6.png

assassinscreedunity_2uuaqn.png

Bugs like this often take you out of the immersion of otherwise good moments in the game, but it's still a worthy experience.

assassinscreedunity_22wyxi.png

Fantastic city that feels alive, but the story was an afterthought, especially the conclusion. Haven't played Syndicate yet, but Unity has the worst plot to me.

Paris tho...

tanmandu

Neo Member
I've always hoped that as time went on Unity would get more love. While not my favorite in the series, it was up there for me in terms of setting.

JoeLT

The coop was fantastic in this game, such a shame. I still hope that one day they patch this game for the Pro and X but I know it’ll never happen.1080p/30 with better settings would be amazing.

Warablo

The story was sorta meh, but visually still one of the best looking games ever. I also apperciated they tried to change the combat and mission structure.

Unity has the most impressive city / visuals in the series imo. Fantastic art design everywhere.

Just the story fell short for me and yeah technically speaking at launch it was a bit if a disaster

Jedi2016

Yeah, I picked this up a few months ago to catch up on AC, and was surprised at how good it is. With all the negative press around release, it makes you think the whole game is shit, but now that the bugs are worked out, and the Pro to help with the framerate, it's actually pretty solid.

adamsapple

I still can't believe they had a lead dev approve the combat and movement.

Good lord.

Yeah, the combat was really archaic, felt even worse than the PS3/360 Assassins Creed games. I guess they wanted to simplify as much as possible.

adamsapple

The issue i had with this game was the combat balancing in the latter half. Needed way too much smoke spam.

I took the "assassinate primary target directly any way possible and run the fuck away" approach and it seemed to work fine 9 out of 10 times. The game constantly prompts you that the enemies will remember you even after the alert goes down but they didn't seem bothered chasing you for long.

I'm playing it right now as well and I'm loving Paris, it feels like a real place, it's very crowded and alive. But I find the controls to be clumsy and unresponsive.

Eggbok

The only thing good about Unity was the visuals. The story was okay at best and the combat is the worst in the series imo. I've played every game in the series and Unity is probably my least favorite.
The parkour was a travesty as well, it was the most impossible thing trying to climb down into a window without going under it or jumping on a beam beside it lol.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I really loved the addition of fast descending.

This Assassin's Creed is probably the one I spend the most time just wandering around in, climbing stuff, and seeing what there was to see. Just watching the animations was a delight.

Just pulled this out to benchmark some new hardware and it's absolutely stunning in 4K. Best looking game of the generation so far in my opinion.

AEdouard

Hey, I also played it a while after release, like 1 1/2 year, on PC and also enjoyed it. By then it was pretty solid. Not too many bugs and running well on my then 970.

Overall I liked it better than Syndicate in this well functionning form. It looks better, the city feels alive with its crazy number of enterable buildings and Paris is an interesting setting. London could have been. But the London of Syndicate doesn't feel like London, or any real city for that matter. Paris might have changed a lot since the revolution, but the Paris in Unity felt like a real version of old Paris (hey, I've lived there for a year, I have a feel for the place).

adamsapple

Hey, I also played it a while after release, like 1 1/2 year, on PC and also enjoyed it. By then it was pretty solid. Not too many bugs and running well on my then 970.

Overall I liked it better than Syndicate in this well functionning form. It looks better, the city feels alive with its crazy amount of enterable buildings and Paris is an interesting setting. London could have been. But the London of Syndicate doesn't feel like London, or any real city for that matter. Paris might have changed a lot since the revolution, but the Paris in Unity felt like a real version of old Paris (hey, I've lived there for a year, I have a feel for the place).

This, very much this. Not since the original AC2 have I took the time to read a bunch of the data entries that popped up. It always pleasantly surprises me how much effort the Ubisoft guys take to integrate their games into real history using real figures and events.

I spent a good hour or more going through the Wiki page for Unity and clicking each character/location hyperlink to read more about them after beating the game.

I took the "assassinate primary target directly any way possible and run the fuck away" approach and it seemed to work fine 9 out of 10 times. The game constantly prompts you that the enemies will remember you even after the alert goes down but they didn't seem bothered chasing you for long.

Same technique for me. No joy in fighting. This is no Batman game.

But I like a lot this game for Paris environment. I went to visit la Ste Chapelle irl after having discovered it in this game. Playing ubi games as a tourist is when I'm most enjoying those.

Also, the investigations mini games were a nice addition to this series.
They also nailed the high and low "parkour" paths in the city.

Ahasverus

Nah fam. I wanted to like it too. The best I can say about it it's that it's what the first Assassins Creed would be like in 2014.

However, it's as sterile as that one.

TheXbox

Movement and combat bewildered me. I gave up after four hours. Performance was still terrible on Xbox One a year or so post-launch. I'm a little upset that they wasted such an extraordinary period on the worst game in the mainline series.

adamsapple

The R2 + Circle to fast descend makes a huge difference in traversal imo, as others have said in this topic, it was one of the better navigation additions.

Though, I wouldn't have minded if they also added the quick grappling hook from AC Revelations.

Ahasverus

The R2 + Circle to fast descend makes a huge difference in traversal imo, as others have said in this topic, it was one of the better navigation additions.

Though, I wouldn't have minded if they also added the quick grappling hook from AC Revelations.
Except going downwards without accidentally entering windows was impossible.

Finally played through Syndicate and Unity was def a better story, game, and move forward. Syndicate, while good was "play it safe" the game. Unity just got the brunt of all the launch glitch issues.

Ahasverus

The graphics are so ridiculos though, it's a bit shameful that a launch game still has the best human characters and lighting of the gen.

I thought it was a step back in every way. I don't know how they managed to make the climbing worse in AC, but that managed to do it with Unity. Found myself constantly not doing what I wanted, and getting around windows was the worst. Combat animates worse and felt super muddy for whatever reason. Assassin's Creed 3 had overly simple combat, but at least it wasn't a frustrating slog like Unity. The story in every Assassin's Creed game is dumb, but Unity's is dumb AND feels unfinished. The way the plot just jumps around is confusing, and the motivations and goals for the main character were pretty fucking weak.

statham

I couldn't finish syndicate but loved unity. It got way too much hate, IMO. I do wish they would have turned down the graphics a notch to improve frame rate on Xbox One, and I experienced all the glitches that was said about it and still loved it.

Definitely in the top 3 Assassins Creed games for me. I didn't jump in day one like most of the people who sparked the hate so I didn't run into many of the glitches. It felt more like an assassin game than 3 or Black Flag so I thought it was a step in the right direction. I even enjoyed the coop missions. This game does get way too much hate.

Goldrush

For someone like me who plays AC to be a virtual tourist, Unity is my favorite in the series. Never cared much for the gameplay or story in the series. I usually just do the collectathons the first chance I get as it gave me an excuse to walk around and gawk at landmarks.

Yoday

It's the best game in the series up to this point IMO. The mission structure is way better than anything before it, and the revamped parkour system was a huge step up. It certainly needed more polish and better characters, but the content was top tier for the series.

I'm a bit confused by your comments on the map though. Paris dwarfs anything that has been seen in a prior game. I'd be interested in seeing comparisons, but outside of Black Flag with it's giant Ocean, Paris feels like the largest map in the series to me. I suppose AC3 might compare of you include all of the empty land. Certainly though, no other city in a prior game comes even remotely close.

adamsapple

I'm a bit confused by your comments on the map though. Paris dwarfs anything that has been seen in a prior game. I'd be interested in seeing comparisons, but outside of Black Flag with it's giant Ocean, Paris feels like the largest map in the series to me. I suppose AC3 might compare of you include all of the empty land. Certainly though, no other city in a prior game comes even remotely close.

I don't know if it's accurate but Paris seemed smaller than London. It's much smaller than 3, Rogue and Black Flag for sure but based on what I recall, Paris seemed smaller and more focused than any other location in the AC games (barring the first game).

I didn't hate it, but I'm surprised you like the interactions between Elise and Arno. They're both complete idiots; it's a miracle they remember to breathe.

It's actually one of the best AC games. Technical issues were a huge problem at launch though it works fairly well now. It's also the best looking AC game.

I still play it till this day. Climbing, jumping on rooftops and traversing the city is very satisfying. That didn't work in Syndicate because London's wide streets didn't help.

My ranking:
AC4>AC2>ACBH>ACU>ACR>AC3>AC1>ACS

ACS is the only one that I couldn't finish so that's why it's last. I think it's the worst.

Yoday

I don't know if it's accurate but Paris seemed smaller than London. It's much smaller than 3, Rogue and Black Flag for sure but based on what I recall, Paris seemed smaller and more focused than any other location in the AC games (barring the first game).
I've been marathoning the series, and Paris is an order of magnitude larger than any other city in the series. Yeah, it's smaller than AC3 and Black Flag, but they had a lot of empty land and Sea. City wise though, I'm pretty sure you'd have to combine Florence, Vinice, and Rome to match Paris. Even then I don't think it compares.

People tend to remember the older games being larger than they actually we're because of how large they felt at the time. Same goes with the Parkour. It hurts my brain when people talk about Unity having the worst parkour in the series. The parkour in everything prior to AC3 was incredibly basic and slow.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
London in Syndicate is around 30% larger than Paris in Unity due to the more realistic road sizes.

Dragonbinder

Neo Member
I'm really mixed on Unity honestly. Probably my least favourite story in an AC game and found the gameplay to be some of the most boring. Really disliked the combat and world-traversal in this one.

And yet the world is just incredible. I absolutely love how the game looks. Such a beautiful game world and it's such a joy to be able to walk around a virtual recreation of the city.

daninthemix

It's the same as all the other ACs, in that the world and story are decent to great, depending on your level of interest, and the combat is execrable.

KORNdoggy

i honestly liked the game too. it looked unbelievably good. i enjoyed the gameplay more than i did syndicate. and i experienced way less visual and gameplay glitches than i did syndicate too. i liked the protagonist and story as well. my biggest complaint was just the performance and soft IQ but otherwise it's probably my second favorite AC after black flag.

Game is much better than Syndicate and the best since Brotherhood. I played 2 years after launch and throughly enjoyed it.

I don't get the people saying the movement was bad. I thought it was the best of the series. Up and down being assigned to unique buttons gave you much more control. Rapid descent made what could sometimes be frustrating (just getting to the fucking ground) in old games, very simple and quick.

faridmon

Yep, its a good game, although I prefer 2, Brotherhood and 4, but its way better than syndicate for me (Bar the technical problems)

I enjoyed it

U shouldn't take reviews too seriously, people overreact and context is important

This game would have won game of the year had it been released in 1998, but since it's the 2010s it's labeled as meh.

adamsapple

I enjoyed it

U shouldn't take reviews too seriously, people overreact and context is important

This game would have won game of the year had it been released in 1998, but since it's the 2010s it's labeled as meh.

Like I said, I never played the original un-patched version of the game but I think we've all seen those hellish skeleton face pictures from that build, the game has had a lot of problems ironed out over time. I won't go as far as to say that the reviewers and commentators were wrong back when the game originally released.

hydruxo

I didn't find it to be that good at all. Some parts of the story were alright and Arno was a good protag, but overall I was bored and the massive amount of map icons dragged it down. It was my least favorite AC game. I even had more fun with AC3.

Horns

It wasn't that bad. I got it for $5 and found it enjoyable especially at that price. I completed in two weeks and think I resold it for what I paid for it. My only issue were a few odd bugs I encountered otherwise it was a solid 8 and the first AC I completed in past few years.

Top Bottom