• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hob Review Thread

Eurogamer - Recommended
Intricate and ingenious, Hob is a true spiritual successor to A Link to the Past.

Wccftech - 9/10
Hob is an action adventure with a stunning visual style, engrossing world and enjoyable combat. It is a standard bearer for what the genre can achieve at this level.

GAMENEWS+ - 8.8/10
HOB is a game which I was missing for a long time and I didn't even notice it until I laid my eyes on it. The game has a flawless gameplay with so much to unravel and show you. What's not to delve into the ever-changing world of HOB?

MMORPG - 8.5/10
Overall Hob is a fantastic game and just be on a play list for anyone who enjoys puzzle platformers and wouldn’t mind some light RPG elements thrown in. The story is told organically and beautifully through gameplay and has some of the best sound design I’ve seen in a game.

KOTAKU
Torn asunder by unknown forces and ravaged by corruption, the world of Hob is in desperate need of repair and rescue. Its nameless, silent hero’s quest to set things right is one of the most captivating and spectacular adventures of the year.

ACG - Buy

PC INVASION - 8/10
Runic Games take you on a wondrous mysterious journey through fantastic environments making HOB well worth your time.

MAMMOTH GAMERS - 7.8/10
Hob does not have much of a story to tell, but that doesn’t mean the journey is any less satisfying. Brilliant use of inference, fluid combat and well-designed environmental challenges make the world of Hob come alive. You might not know exactly why you are there, but you are glad you had the key to the puzzle.

IGN 7.8/10
Hob is a gorgeous if somewhat aimless puzzler that takes place in a world that's fascinating to explore.

PCGAMER - 77/100
A gorgeous world eager to be explored with satisfying puzzles and fun, if occasionally clumsy, action.

OPN - 7/10
Hob scratches that itch to explore and tinker.

FelipeMGM

I would love to play this right now, but there is so much happening. Im on the Destiny 2 loop and playing SteamWorld Dig 2 and Battlechasers at the same time. Will for sure keep close attention to it when I get some free time

GavinUK86

I agree with most of the sentiments here. It's a really charming game. Only played it for about 2 hours on PC so far though, need to play it for longer.

Humdinger

I have mixed feelings. It's an interesting game, but it is all about mechanics -- finding this thing, plugging it into that thing, etc. I would like more of a sense of who Hob is, why he is bothering to do all of this, what does it matter ... i.e., a story of some type. It is interesting from a mechanical perspective, but it isn't engaging me in way on a narrative level.

edit: I changed my mind. I like the puzzle solving -- it's easy enough and intuitive, never really bogs down (not yet). It's pretty cool when you see the world shift and change shape. I guess I can do without a character or a story. The mechanics are interesting in themselves, and I like the visuals. I like the relaxed tone of the game as well.

JonnyKong

I've finished this game now, and it is decent, but the comparisons to A Link to the Past aren't really valid, not really sure where the reviewer was going with that.

If anything I'd say this game is the perfect mix of Rime's landscape exploration and puzzle solving, and the occasional top down combat (which I guess is kinda similar to Zelda).

Top Bottom