• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playnite 2.0 released - combines your Steam/Origin/uPlay/GOG libraries

Update: Playnite supports Battle.net as of today's 2.7 update. Tested it, works great.

screen2.png

Open source video game library manager and launcher with support for 3rd party libraries like Steam, GOG, Origin and Uplay. Including game emulation support, providing one unified interface for your games.

Features: Steam, Origin, GOG, Uplay support
Import games from Steam, Origin, GOG and Uplay services including games that are not installed.

Console Emulation support
Import console games and run them through emulators.

View options
Choose from 3 different view options.

Custom games
Add any game or program with custom launch options.

Automatic Update
Application automatically updates to new version.

Portable installation
Run Playnite without need to install, with ability to run from any place, with option to configure database location for automatic sync via service like DropBox or Google Drive.

http://playnite.link/
https://github.com/JosefNemec/Playnite/releases

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was pretty neat. I know a lot of people have asked for something like this since people tend to forget that they have a whole other library outside of Steam or whatever. Pretty excited to see where this goes once they allow plugin support and custom themes.

Regarding security concerns

Playnite doesn't store any user information and you don't need to provide any information to import installed games. Login is required only for full library import of GOG and Origin games and in that case only web session cookie is stored, the same way when you login to those services via web browser.

What about Defender SmartScreen installer warning?

Windows may display security dialog regarding executable securty. This is mainly due to fact that installer is not digitally signed, however it's completely safe to use. More information is in issue #80

Yaska

Looks cool, have you tried this yet? I have way too many big libraries so this seems really useful.

Ashtar

This seems cool, I wonder if this will alleviate the "omg it's origin only" crowd or if they'll just think of another thing to be mad about

kulapik

This seems cool, I wonder if this will alleviate the "omg it's origin only" crowd or if they'll just think of another thing to be mad about
You still have to install and have an account on Origin, so it still can be annoying

Looks cool, have you tried this yet? I have way too many big libraries so this seems really useful.

Yeah I have a very big library and it picked up everything I have out of Steam, GOG and Origin, even games that weren't installed. Only the installed uPlay games were detected though. It's nice being able to mix the games together or even separate them by the service they're on.

Yaska

Yeah I have a very big library and it picked up everything I have out of Steam, GOG and Origin, even games that weren't installed. Only the installed uPlay games were detected though. It's nice being able to mix the games together or even separate them by the service they're on.

Cool, I just installed it as well, doesn't detect my Origin games but found all other installed games. Wonder if they will add Oculus storefront support next.

Coreda

Presumably Origin and uPlay are required to be open when launching their games, right? I like the concept of all-in-one game managers but when you need to launch additional clients for the DRM it feels a little overcomplicated, plus you still need to use the original game client for updates, friends, etc. At least with DRM-free games they can be launched standalone, or via Steam.

Yaska

In my import case I had Origin open and uPlay closed. And Origin failed but uPlay imported. For full libraries you need to login through the playnite it seems.

tuxfool

Banned
Presumably Origin and uPlay are required to be open when launching their games, right? I like the concept of all-in-one game managers but when you need to launch additional clients for the DRM it feels a little overcomplicated, plus you still need to use the original game client for updates, friends, etc. At least with DRM-free games they can be launched standalone, or via Steam.

presumably it will launch the launchers if those aren't something you have open all the time.

SScorpio

Does this offer anything besides a unified launcher? If not Steam already does that and it has social features so I can stalk my friends.

I also wonder how it handles the same games on multiple platforms, especially with uPlay/Steam games where you need both open to run some games.

Zeneric

Uninstalled. I prefer Steam's inferface and it';s already able to add non-Steam games; no point to have Playnite.

Shifty

standards.png

Neat idea, but it's nothing that couldn't be achieved by dumping a bunch of shortcuts into a folder. Particularly if importing is manual rather than automatic.

tuxfool

Banned
standards.png

Neat idea, but it's nothing that couldn't be achieved by dumping a bunch of shortcuts into a folder. Particularly if importing is manual rather than automatic.

Good thing it is automatic. Also automatic is game information, logos and art.

Tealmann

It detects most of my games, but it won't categorize anything but Steam
Wxx8wCo.png

EDIT: Installing and running GOG Galaxy fixed it, I guess it doesn't detect GOG without it.

Athleon

Nice find! I like being able to edit game names, and easy emulator setup is nice. You can even launch non-Steam games through Steam with it. I'll try it out for a while and see how it goes.

Athleon

Is there a way to change the artwork for the steam icons so they don't all have the steam logo?

Yes, you can use a custom image for the "Covers" view. The logo is there to fill the empty space, since the imported Steam image is wide but the Playnite cover image is tall.

I'd really like to see something like this, but with an HTPC-friendly interface. I'm genuinely surprised Steam BPM is still the best solution for that on PC. Still, this seems pretty handy, and the UI itself is nice and clean, so props to the team behind it!

Paragon

My issue with non-Steam games is that the Steam Overlay does not always work with them when launched via Steam.
Origin used to be fine when the client closed itself after exiting a game, but they removed that option, and the last time I checked the overlay worked for the first game you launched from Steam but not subsequent games when the client is already running.
Uplay is the worst as it requests elevated permissions when you launch it, and pops up a dialog box asking you to re-enable its own overlay every time you launch a game. I can't use my Steam Controller with anything that requires the Uplay client running at all.
Same issue with UWP games. The Steam Overlay doesn't work, so I can't use my controller.

Oynox

How does this differ from Game Room?

I need connection with my Humble Library. I have absolutely 0 overview about how many, mostly unredeemed games, I have there. It is terrible. I am always surprised how many games I have although I only play on an old laptop... counting around 360 without the Humble games.

I'd really like to see something like this, but with an HTPC-friendly interface. I'm genuinely surprised Steam BPM is still the best solution for that on PC. Still, this seems pretty handy, and the UI itself is nice and clean, so props to the team behind it!

"Big Picture Mode" coming soon. Probably 3.0

How does this differ from Game Room?

Cleaner looking (with free theming coming soon, Game Room requires donations for alternate themes), faster, seems more efficient on memory (in my case at least), open source and it's progressing much faster.

As for the Humble Bundle integration, don't know if that's possible but it would be neat. I just went through my entire Humble library tonight and I was amazed at how much stuff I had that I never redeemed.

Update: Playnite supports Battle.net as of today's 2.7 update. Tested it, works great.

Regarding security concerns
Do I need to give those people my passwords?

Playnite doesn't store any user information and you don't need to provide any information to import installed games. Login is required only for full library import of GOG and Origin games and in that case only web session cookie is stored, the same way when you login to those services via web browser.

What about Defender SmartScreen installer warning?

Windows may display security dialog regarding executable securty. This is mainly due to fact that installer is not digitally signed, however it's completely safe to use. More information is in issue #80

Source: https://github.com/JosefNemec/Playnite

Looks a bit..... messy.

Less messy than the alternative of jumping between all these clients. Hopefully the UI customization will help with that.

I'm really interested but I think I need the games to be installed? As someone with tons of games on all services, I want to know what i own but I can't logistically install everything on uplay and gog and uplay

I'm really interested but I think I need the games to be installed? As someone with tons of games on all services, I want to know what i own but I can't logistically install everything on uplay and gog and uplay

uPlay requires the games to be installed, don't know why that option doesn't exist but everything else you can fully sync. Here's what mine looks like (I have Watch Dogs 2/Rainbow Six Siege installed).
aCNTqXe.png

uPlay requires the games to be installed, don't know why that option doesn't exist but everything else you can fully sync. Here's what mine looks like (I have Watch Dogs 2/Rainbow Six Siege installed).
aCNTqXe.png

Oh, that works really well then. I've got the least amount on uplay.
It's probably been asked but what about friends list?

Oh, that works really well then. I've got the least amount on uplay.
It's probably been asked but what about friends list?

Hooks right into the Steam client so it brings up the Steam Friends List when you click the button on the lower right hand side. I don't touch anything within the Steam application outside of friends now that I have this set up. It automatically adds new purchases to the library and it launches my browser when I click on community features like the discussion boards and every game has a page that links to things like the pcwiki or subreddits and the latest news.

Even workshop and the market would work without using the Steam client. It's like there's nothing there outside of the login screen and friends. Everything outside of friends can be done entirely in a browser which runs better and has the benefit of extension support like Enhanced Steam.

What's the point of this when it can be done with steam? You'll still need to run Steam, Origin, and uPlay to play most games.

Sure, it can be done. Manually. The Steam Client is a nightmare to use so I like to use it as little as possible. You'll still be using those other platforms but just having a unified, automated and lightweight client that ties them together is pretty nice.

Sure, it can be done. Manually. The Steam Client is a nightmare to use so I like to use it as little as possible. You'll still be using those other platforms but just having a unified, automated and lightweight client that ties them together is pretty nice.
Alright, yeah I see how that can be useful. I just don’t really want another client running to be honest. I might give it a go eventually.

jediyoshi

Does this support individual games that need emulators or just the emulator itself?

If it's any good and/or supports regular shortcuts, it can do the former. Hell, there are multiple programs that have been made to set up your individual games running on emulators libraries on Steam itself.

Top Bottom