• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#WomenBoycottTwitter Planned for October 13th, 2017

DL_HzD-UIAANQjT.jpg

#WomenBoycottTwitter

I've seen this going around on Twitter from various outlets and people that there is a planned boycott tomorrow (today, depending on timezone) to boycott twitter as a result of their selective ToS against women and sexual abuse victims, and not against white supremacists and other assholes. I know some of you won't participate in it for whatever reasons, but I thought some of you would want to know if its existence in case you already didn't.

A small gesture is still a gesture, and perfect is still the enemy of the good; take whatever vague pragmatic stance you want.

how will they know if they don't login to twitter? Not trying to be a smartass.

If you're signed in, you say "I'm logging off today for #WomenBoycottTwitter because..." and whatever your reason is, and then you sign out and don't go to the website or use it for the rest of the day. That's it.

Dice//

Banned
After the pewdie pie bullshit, seeing the N-word get slung around no problem was really disheartening.

Sadly I can't join -- gotta work and Twitter is a platform for the work I do.

You go girls-- fight the good fight.

Haunted

I hope anyone participating in this are not doing it for just a day.

Just leave the platform for good.
Yup. This sounds super weird to me.

Like someone trying to raise awareness against lung cancer vowing not to smoke anymore... for a day, just to return to smoke another pack the next day as if nothing happened.

Not like Twitter is super important or needed to live, this feels like it assigns a much higher level of importance to the platform than it deserves, making not tweeting for a fucking day out to be some grand sacrifice or gesture. It's not.

Just stop visiting this particular website and be done with it.

Yeah not using it for a day. You’re so brave and righteous.

Anybody stupid enough to do this is so far down the rabbit hole that there’s no way they’re leaving their echo chamber of positive affirmations.

jobrro

I'm not a woman and I don't really use Twitter anyway but it's already 3pm on the 13th where I live.

Even if this is a callback to an ancient shitpost, it still functions as a shitpost.

how does stopping tweeting for a day, where you will post a twitter "i will boycott twitter because ..." probably pin the twitter for that day, receive multiple retweets and likes, and then the next day come back to the platform probably saying how people who didn't boycott the platform are bad and hurting the "movement".

People should stop using twitter if they want something to change.

Kinokou

Personally I think of Twitter as a tool so the smoke and anime analogies are missing the mark with me.

The way I see it its not meant as quitting something addictive but trying to impact the manefacturer.

how does stopping tweeting for a day, where you will post a twitter "i will boycott twitter because ..." probably pin the twitter for that day, receive multiple retweets and likes, and then the next day come back to the platform probably saying how people who didn't boycott the platform are bad and hurting the "movement".

People should stop using twitter if they want something to change.

You're welcome to stop using Twitter altogether if that's what you believe. You're welcome to donate money and time to women organizations if that pleases you. You're welcome to just do this simple boycott for the day if that's all you want to do as well. You may do what you like to help this issue if you care about it. That's all.

Nerokis

This isn't necessarily the answer, either. Something like this boycott is undoubtedly more symbolic than anything, but it's leveraging that symbolism to effect change on an important platform. A platform that isn't going to go away any time soon, regardless of its various issues, and a platform that's part of a larger issue regarding moderation in social media.

You can just bounce from Twitter, if you'd like, but I'd rather not leave it to the worst among us. It's done good in the past, and still has the potential to do good in the future. If #WomenBoycottTwitter manages to inspire some activism, this activism manages to move the needle in a positive direction, and we get just ever so slightly closer to social media not being used as a tool to silence vulnerable voices, the boycott will have done some good.

I feel like there has got to be a better way to protest instead of women silencing themselves on Twitter because Twitter silenced their voices.

How about boycott Twitter altogether.

How about people stop thinking a service is defined by its worse users.

I only follow accounts that don’t irritate me. Hoorah; Twitter is good. People who go out their way to expose themselves to things to upset them doesn’t not justify acting like an entire platform is bad. I could exclusively follow the Donald and cat meme subs on Reddit and say Reddit is shit. Alternatively I could use my brain.

I'm so paranoid of outside influence or subterfuge from within that I almost wonder who organized this. Why should women silence themselves?

Yeah not using it for a day. You’re so brave and righteous.

Anybody stupid enough to do this is so far down the rabbit hole that there’s no way they’re leaving their echo chamber of positive affirmations.

I only follow accounts that don’t irritate me. Hoorah; Twitter is good. People who go out their way to expose themselves to things to upset them doesn’t not justify acting like an entire platform is bad. I could exclusively follow the Donald and cat meme subs on Reddit and say Reddit is shit. Alternatively I could use my brain.

You're welcome to stop using Twitter altogether if that's what you believe. You're welcome to donate money and time to women organizations if that pleases you. You're welcome to just do this simple boycott for the day if that's all you want to do as well. You may do what you like to help this issue if you care about it. That's all.

Onaco

I understand the concern and issues and 100% agree, but if the people trying to make this topic trend aren't using the hashtag, how does it become viral and trend? And if you tweet in support, doesn't that contribute against the campaign technically?

Eh, Twitter still has merit. It's unparalleled as a communication platform, and it's undeniably essential for keeping up with current events in the immediate. There simply isn't a better alternative.

But it also has a toxic userbase, and zero genuine moderation. The 'hands off' approach has failed when it comes to hate speech. The government is not going to step in. The only course of action now is pure, unrestrained capitalism. Tank Twitter's brand image, tie it to harassment, and force action as means of saving face.

Will this solve the site's issues all at once? Of course not. But it's sending a clear, undeniable sign that a vital percentage of the userbase is in favor of radical change over the status quo.

If Twitter is convinced they'll see a stock boost by banning the Nazis, they'll ban the damn Nazis.

Yeah keep missing the point and act all intelligent and stuff. We all know twitter allows nasty shit all around without doing anything, and when they do take action it's against victims. They should've banned trump, a lot of alt-righters and a lot of nasty fuckers long time ago but they won't, they just nurture them because they are positive income for the company.

Fuck twitter, really.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I see a pattern in people shitting on this idea...

No time like the present

What pattern? Not a single person in this thread is against punishing Twitter in some ways due to its shittiness, only difference is we are arguing about how we are going to do that.

I hate these nudge nudge wink wink kinda posts. Just directly quote people that you disagreed with and argue, instead of doing stuff like this.

Eh, Twitter still has merit. It's unparalleled as a communication platform, and it's undeniably essential for keeping up with current events in the immediate. There simply isn't a better alternative.

But it also has a toxic userbase, and zero genuine moderation. The 'hands off' approach has failed when it comes to hate speech. The government is not going to step in. The only course of action now is pure, unrestrained capitalism. Tank Twitter's brand image, tie it to harassment, and force action as means of saving face.

Will this solve the site's issues all at once? Of course not. But it's sending a clear, undeniable sign that a vital percentage of the userbase is in favor of radical change over the status quo.

If Twitter is convinced they'll see a stock boost by banning the Nazis, they'll ban the damn Nazis.

It's just that the folks that run Twitter don't seem to be interested at all in cleaning up their platform, so to speak, and in all the cases like these all that they can offer is mere empty words and platitudes, no matter how many of their users criticizing their inaction. An example: it's stated that the reason they banned Rose' account was because she shared a phone number, but Trump did that as well and they didn't do nothing about it. Empty words over and over and over and over again.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I only follow accounts that don't irritate me. Hoorah; Twitter is good. People who go out their way to expose themselves to things to upset them doesn't not justify acting like an entire platform is bad. I could exclusively follow the Donald and cat meme subs on Reddit and say Reddit is shit. Alternatively I could use my brain.

Doesn't really work that way when the platform is fully public and any shitheel can track you down just because you said a word they hate. People aren't always harassed because they swatted a hornet's nest, you know. Might need to use your brain a little more. Or, you know, get one in the first place.

Whether or not you agree it's effective, the point is that it shouldn't be just one day. It may put a small dent in the Twitter mechanism. Or it may completely miss the mark. The point is that if you're going to do something like stop using Twitter, then you better pull through with it. This isn't just some New Year's Day resolution that you can attempt for a week and never go back to it again. This is a real issue and I applaud the people who have the best intentions in their hearts.

I also believe that there are more ways of being effective than just quitting a for a day. Keep at it if you really are serious about it.

Hey it’s another shit post on GAF that doesn’t present an argument.

Next time maybe just post a really really funny gif.

Ok, here’s an argument. Calling other people stupid because they’ve chosen to voice their disapproval with how Twitter management selectively enforces their terms of service and does little to nothing to make women using their service feel safe unless sufficient eyes are put on their failure, while offering no viable alternative of your own, doesn’t help.

I’m not participating (mainly because I’m not a woman) but I understand and respect the sentiment behind it. A lot of women use Twitter for many things, not the least of which is supporting each other, so they don’t want to quit the service altogether. They want Twitter to at the very least do what they pretend to do now and take care of harassment.

What pattern? Not a single person in this thread is against punishing Twitter in some ways due to its shittiness, only difference is we are arguing about how we are going to do that.

I hate these nudge nudge wink wink kinda posts. Just directly quote people that you disagreed with and argue, instead of doing stuff like this.

I did. Were you shitting on it?

I just think there are better ways to show how women are silenced. Here in Brazil there was a movement a while ago called "my secret friend" (basically the secret santa in US), and they basically talked about things that they had to endure without outing the person directly, offering them a little more safety.

Getting out of twitter for a day doesn't say anything to me, and i bet the assholes will be all celebrating how it's "women free" on twitter.

Top Bottom