• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey EA, #Re-release 3on3 NHL Arcade

Majine

Banned
3 on 3 NHL Arcade is (was?) an amazingly fun game, especially in local multiplayer. We used to laugh our asses of at what was happening on the screen. Iceman cometh!

Due to expired licenses, the game that was once available on both PS3 and 360 is now only available for purchase through the Asian PlayStation Store with the use of Singaporean currency. As far as I know, there is no way to get it on current-gen consoles.

3on3nhlarcade-sony-ps3-2.jpg

Come on, people need this in their lives. I'm sure it's easier to accomplish than making Skate 4.

Hazu

Yess please! No NHL 18 on Switch was a huge disappointement for me, I want this one at the very least!

Yeah, while I like my normal sports games as much as the next person, the world needs more fun twists on sports like this, FIFA Street and Rocket League.

Minamu

There's a gaffer over in the indie dev thread who is making something very similar to this and it looks amazing, and I don't even like sports games myself. Check it out!

Danneee

What EA should do is re-release NHL Rock the Rink, that was awesome!
“He rolled him like a cheap burrito” is up the with “Boooom schakalaka” for me.

Slippery In Net

Neo Member
As a huge fan of the NHL Hitz games
(I even made an editor for them)
, I was pretty disappointed by 3 on 3 arcade. What I'm looking for is arcade style 3-on-3 hockey, not bobbleheads collecting powerups. At some point 3 on 3 arcade feels a bit too much like "NHL 09 meets a Mario Party minigame".

Threes on NHL 18 is fun, but I still find moneypuck annoying there. Who came up with this notion that "arcade style sports game" = "randomly give out huge advantages"? Sure, offline you can turn it off. Online sadly you can't.

As a huge fan of the NHL Hitz games
(I even made an editor for them)
, I was pretty disappointed by 3 on 3 arcade. What I'm looking for is arcade style 3-on-3 hockey, not bobbleheads collecting powerups. At some point 3 on 3 arcade feels a bit too much like "NHL 09 meets a Mario Party minigame".

Threes on NHL 18 is fun, but I still find moneypuck annoying there. Who came up with this notion that "arcade style sports game" = "randomly give out huge advantages"? Sure, offline you can turn it off. Online sadly you can't.

Agreed, 3on3 just wasn't quite as good. Did you update the rosters for HITZ? That's all it needed!

Was that a banana?!
Such a fun game. I remember a multiplayer moment in 3on3 when we heard the monkey shriek with the banana drop, the meek tiny goalie announcement and the booming Iceman Cometh audio cues in close succession during a pretty intense scrum. It was something to behold.

nhl HITZ was the peak of hockey
Yes, great stuff. I have 2002 on PS2 but I gather 2003 is best?

Going back to EA's arcade sports offerings, I view Madden Arcade on the 360 as something of a spiritual successor to Mutant League Football. Certainly different themes and wackiness levels but very comparable experiences for me.

malfcn

An arcade game would be welcomed. I sunk a bunch of hours into Wayne Gretzky 3d Hockey on n64 back in the day.

gonna 3334rd this. it never really topped nhl hitz 02 for me which I used to play constantly until a couple of years ago but any arcade hockey game would be welcomed. I've never actually tried the main NHL series but perhaps they're like fifa in that they seem to veer from completely sim like and methodical one year to more arcadey the next? if there's a game in the series like that on current gen I'll buy it.

I honesty thought Madden arcade was way better. But with some tweaking this could be awesome too!

Or if EA made an updated NHL 94 and sold it separately. That would be awesome too.

Cudder

Yes please. I had some of the funniest moments I've ever had while gaming playing this with a friend of mine.

NHL Threes in NHL 18 is dog shit. Literally the exact same as the main game, with some sliders maxed.

JABEE

I miss arcade sports games. :( I was just talking about this. Now they are relegated to side modes, often existing as re-skinned versions of the sim game.

Sadly, the companies behind the licenses have stopped allowing a lot of the stuff that developers used to release in the 2000s.

Not only is there no development will there anymore, but the NFL, NBA, and presumably NHL have all cut back on what they allow developers to put into a game.

I'm surprised they haven't released like "EA Street," which is a combination of NBA Street, NFL, NHL, and FIFA Street, with simplified rules, over the top gameplay (but with the sort of balance that NBA Street Vol 2 and 3 had), and fuck it, throw in your card trading microtransactions into it if you have to make money. I feel like doing this right, with 3 on 3 online play would be a huge, huge money maker for EA,a nd they could deliver it as a platform. Basically, ruin the franchise with microtransactions and loot card trading, but the games would be huge money makers.

Andd then for the love of god leave us alone and stop ruining simulation sports franchises.

Dizzy-4U

I've been playing it with friends for years and we laugh through the whole thing every single time. Never gets old.

It's the closest I've ever felt of playing an N64 game last gen (aside from the actual N64 ports of course).

Top Bottom