• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix sprite detail, you will say wow

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
ryu-sprites.jpg

You may have read about the upcoming, remastered version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo that will be coming out on both the XBox Live Arcade and the PS3’s online service. Since the initial announcement, we have learned a few more details and I’ve been able to piece together my thoughts on the developments.

First of all, Gamekult posted a “confidential” slide from the Capcom press conference that actually showed off the new Ryu sprite and how it compared to the original sprite in addition to the previous standard of high-resolution fighters, Guilty Gear X.

I took the liberty of cleaning up that slide and adding some fresh comparisons so that it is easier to see the difference. I’ve even added the Ryu sprite from Street Fighter 3 — the largest Ryu sprite until this generation.ryu-sprites.jpg

When I laid my eyes on this new sprite, I really had to do a double take to make sure that I was reading it correctly. But indeed, the new character sprites for SSF2T HD are so big and detailed, they don’t look like sprites at all. It looks like one of my remake dreams that I thought would never come true is actually becoming a reality.

As good as this single sprite looks, the true test will be seeing it in action. The number of frames in the character animation can make a huge difference. If they could exceed the animation in Street Fighter 3, I suppose that would be excellent.

It is also worth mentioning that the new sprites and artwork featured in this high definition remake is by UDON, the masterminds behind Capcom’s beautiful Street Fighter and Darkstalkers comic books.

When an iconic game like Street Fighter 2 receives such an overhaul, there is bound to be some gamers that are concerned. I thought this was addressed well by this comment made by Velops on the ******* post…

“There is also a risk that fans will not like the changes made to the animations. Hardcore fans have honed their skills based upon the the exact number frames for each attack animation. This includes hitbox sizes, reaction, and recovery times. If the change is noticeable, it could completely change the tiers for competitive online play.”

At the same time, I don’t think people should get too worried. Those dedicated to the original version will still have it to enjoy for their tournaments. Plus, there is nothing wrong with learning something new. A true fighting master should be able to learn different battle systems and adapt accordingly.

To ease the worry about how authentic this remake will feel, David Sirlin has confirmed that he is working on this project. He has worked on ports of Street Fighter 2 before and is an expert at the game himself.

Needless to say, I’m more that glad to see this true high-definition remake process turn into a continuing trend. Obviously, it would not be practical for every game, but it would be great to see some of the truly great games get a high-def makover while keeping the original feel intact. (High-res Sonic Trilogy, anyone?)

In case you missed it, we have an ongoing conversation about the Street Fighter remake going on in the forums. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Via Racketboy

Does this mean that a 2D High Def Street Fighter 4 isn't that expensive and hard to pull off?

Sorry if old.

I don't think they're going to be adding any frames because of the effect on gameplay.

If people buy this and they are inspired to create Street Fighter 4 in a similar style, then we'll see true 2D HD awesomeness to dethrone 3rd Strike.

david sirlin - sirlin.net said:
There are no new frames, and you get what you get. It’s not even remotely my call whether they would ship or not ship the game over the smoothness of animation. That would probably not even make it onto the radar as a “no ship” situation, and adding frames is beyond the scope of the project.
Yay choppy animation it is!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Double edged sword.

Sure it looks hot, but the animation's so bad (not their fault, of course) that it's not some OMFG moment.

On top of that, it's pretty much a major cock tease. Unless something major changes, this is a way of saying "hey, look at what we can do if we DIDN'T have to have a jillion frames of animation". In other words, we'll probably never see fighting game sprites of this quality in a new game. Unless it has 3 characters.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
They would have to reprogram the whole fighting engine if they added frames. It's clear this is just a first step towards a HD SF4 for the future.

SSF2T is a great game and having it in HD goodness is a nice plus.

Grayman

That looks just wow... I know this was in a thread earlier but it didn't have the picture of the sprites.

Totally going to get this set the hell up in my house every if I have to sell blood.

Any ideas regarding release time at all?

usea

Grayman said:
Any ideas regarding release time at all?
There isn't an ETA or anything like that. They're also much further into puzzle fighter than they are STHD.

SnakeXs said:
On top of that, it's pretty much a major cock tease. Unless something major changes, this is a way of saying "hey, look at what we can do if we DIDN'T have to have a jillion frames of animation". In other words, we'll probably never see fighting game sprites of this quality in a new game. Unless it has 3 characters.
This is totally wrong. It's not saying that at all. It's way beyond the scope of the project to add frames of animation. The entire game would have to basically be done from scratch.

Where you would possibly get the idea that an HD sprite game coming out means new HD sprite games are never going to happen is...kind of mystifying. It's sort of the opposite..

USD

I just want GG-res sprites with SF3-level animation. That's all. Having such hi-res sprites but choppy animation creates a noticeable graphical inbalance. Like Crysis at max setting but at 15 FPS.

Aaron

USD said:
I just want GG-res sprites with SF3-level animation. That's all. Having such hi-res sprites but choppy animation creates a noticeable graphical inbalance. Like Crysis at max setting but at 15 FPS.
King of Fighters XII. Berieve.

Z3F

Banned
The new sprite looks mighty impressive. Hopefully, Capcom will get someone to make a special edition SF stick or joypad for the 360. I need something other than the regular 360 controller for fighters and the DOA stick can no longer be found anywhere. It sucks because I want to learn DOA4 but I can't do it with the regular joypad.

anotheriori said:
Yay choppy animation it is!
Well, people like Guilty Gear, and as of the last one I played (the second one), it was still lacking...made worse, IMO, by the size of the frames. Should be fine. I just hope the backgrounds look awesome in their redone states.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is the same sprite shown as last week, and I thought it was Ryu from SF2, not SSF2T?

Aaron said:
King of Fighters XII. Berieve.

I berieve it's going to have new sprites, but keep dreaming on that animation quality, buddy.

FightyF

Banned
I view this game as an experiment.

You don't want to commit extreme amounts of money and cash into these experiments. They can learn some lessons from this, and adapt it to a better looking SF4 down the line.

I just hope the hi def puke looks crazy awesome! :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Fight for Freeform said:
I view this game as an experiment.

It's already been done with KOF '94 Rebout. It just looks awkward seeing sprites redrawn/traced over in HD with less than mediocre (by today's standards) animation.

rebout-2.jpg

FightyF

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
It's already been done with KOF '94 Rebout. It just looks awkward seeing sprites redrawn/traced over in HD with less than mediocre (by today's standards) animation.

rebout-2.jpg

Sorry, I should have clarified, an experiment for Capcom's benefit. There is some concern regarding the costs associated with HD 2D content creation. Maybe after this project, they will gain greater insight into streamlining content creation among other things.

I can see how it would look odd to have high res sprites with few frames of animation. But I think that it makes sense to test things out with an older game, even though the animation may be choppy, rather than doing it all from the ground up. Might as well put all that effort into a new game.

That's not even the actual slide, and whoever made it used different captions than were in the actual one. That large character image isn't the sprite, it's artwork representing what Capcom is shooting for.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If they actually manage what they`re shooting for, I will be all over this on day one.

Manp

maybe i'm asking something stupid but can't they make the sprites huge (bigger than HD resolution) and then scale them down to be used in a SD or HD game?

this way they shouldn't redo them every time they want to increase the resolution of the game

:)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Manp said:
maybe i'm asking something stupid but can't they make the sprites huge (bigger than HD resolution) and then scale them down to be used in a SD or HD game?

this way they shouldn't redo them every time they want to increase the resolution of the game

Scaling up or down has drawbacks in visual quality. The best is to create content for the native ressolution at which the game will be displayed. in this case 1080p.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Well, I'll be grabbing this as soon as it's on XBLA.

But will they add in more animation too? I bet it will look odd with the same number of frames as Super Turbo...although adding frames would change gameplay too, wouldn't it?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
godhandiscen said:
Scaling up or down has drawbacks in visual quality. The best is to create content for the native ressolution at which the game will be displayed. in this case 1080p.

For comparison, here's the original SF2 Ryu image next to the HD version scaled down - it doesn't look nearly as bad as I'd expected.

twoRyus.png

usea

Fatghost said:
But will they add in more animation too?
No.

fatghost said:
I bet it will look odd with the same number of frames as Super Turbo...although adding frames would change gameplay too, wouldn't it?
Yes, it would change the gameplay and would be a much larger undertaking.

The hitboxes and frames are not changing. Just the art. A 'remix' mode of sorts is under discussion too, with some minor balance changes. It's been heavily requested so they're looking into it from what I understand.

Not to nitpick, but it really bothers me when people call this game Street Fighter II Turbo when it's CLEARLY Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

They're different games, so the mistake is not minor.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
usea said:
No.

Yes, it would change the gameplay and would be a much larger undertaking.

The hitboxes and frames are not changing. Just the art. A 'remix' mode of sorts is under discussion too, with some minor balance changes. It's been heavily requested so they're looking into it from what I understand.

Remix? Super Turbo doesn't need a remix, it's still the most balanced SF game ever.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I...I just came in my pants tonight.
Must've been something I saaaaw.
I just came in my pants tonight
WhooOoOOaah.

Fantasmo

Too bad it's not Hyper Fighting with a rebalanced Champion Edition M.Bison and World Warrior Guile, I just don't like the feel of the Super Turbo characters and combos.

Jim

Believe it or not, according to Capcom during Gamers Day, that "sprite" is mocked up art only for demonstration purposes. It's not an actual asset or anything.

Manp

godhandiscen said:

well yeah, but then artists will surely be able to fix scaling issues with less work than doing a new sprite every time

at least that's what i thought

PhatSaqs

Banned
Fatghost said:
Remix? Super Turbo doesn't need a remix, it's still the most balanced SF game ever.
Everyones played ST to death. I say go balls out with tweaks and rebalance so that O.Sagat, Sim and Rog are no longer TT.

That said, I highly doubt anything they do will change the core gameplay.

Haunted

Jim said:
Believe it or not, according to Capcom during Gamers Day, that "sprite" is mocked up art only for demonstration purposes. It's not an actual asset or anything.
Is that a good or a bad sign?

Grifter

Jim said:

Angry disappointment thread inevitable.

bumpkin

junkster said:
Too bad it's not Hyper Fighting with a rebalanced Champion Edition M.Bison and World Warrior Guile, I just don't like the feel of the Super Turbo characters and combos.
I agree. I was only a slight fan of Super, and Super Turbo I didn't even touch. The super combos ruined it for me.

Ryu1999

Jim said:

From SRK

<SirWork> You haven't seen the real art. But the art looks good.
<inkblot> the art on that slide wasn't real?
<SirWork> There were later revisions. Don't know why they showed that one.
<SirWork> It's technically too difficult to go 100% udon style on these things. So we went as close as possible, a little closer than the press image

Sirwork is David Sirlin, one of the head programmers for this game

Jim

Haunted One said:
Is that a good or a bad sign?

A bad sign if you were expecting to play it anytime soon. It's supposed to be "Fall", but it's not all that far along, asset wise, hence ther reason Capcom didn't show off the actual game at all (besides some slides) during Gamers Day.

A majority of the work is going to be on asset creation, obviously. The artists are probably cranking out frames pretty quickly at this point, since they don't need to reimagine the animation and whatnot, at all. They are more or less "tracing" the old frames, rotoscope style.

Ryu1999 said:
<inkblot> the art on that slide wasn't real?
<SirWork> There were later revisions. Don't know why they showed that one.

Yup :)

Top Bottom