• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majesco says Wii titles boosted their revenue by 30%

Joe Molotov

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25819

Publisher Majesco has announced financial results for its second quarter, showing that sales are up from USD 11 to 14.6 million - over half of which came from Wii titles Cooking Mama: Cook Off and Bust a Move Bash.

Interim CEO Jesse Sutton said. "During the quarter, we launched our first two games for the Nintendo Wii as well as three DS titles, which drove net revenue growth of 30 percent compared to last year."

Majesco said sales in the quarter came 84 per cent from its new releases, and 16 per cent from catalog sales. Of those total sales, 62 per cent were console titles (more than half of those for the Wii) and 37 percent were handheld titles (a third of those for Nintendo's DS).

Despite the increase in sales, the company lost USD 1.3 million due to a USD 2.5 million charge related to the settlement of a class action lawsuit. In a conference call with investors, company officials said the $2.5 million would be paid in company stock.

"We look forward to putting this situation behind us and we believe that the settlement, if consummated, will have no effect on the company’s ongoing operations,” Sutton said.

The company recently announced an agreement with Eidos Interactive to distribute its games in PAL territories. Even so, Majesco still expects fiscal 2007 sales to decline 10-15 per cent compared to fiscal 2006 sales of USD 66.7 million.

In the third quarter, Majesco plans to ship Guilty Gear, Mech Assault: Phantom War, Super Black Bass Fishing, Dino Master, Nacho Libre and F-24 Stealth Fighter through Eidos. The fourth quarter will see the release of Operation: Vietnam for DS, as well as the US release of The Wild West, Turn It Around, Nancy Drew and the Deadly Secret of Olde World Park, and Holly Hobbie & Friends for the DS and Kengo: Legend of the 9 for the Xbox 360.

Said Sutton, "We have met our goals for the quarter and delivered solid financial results by executing our strategy to further penetrate the mass market, strengthen our international distribution, leverage licensing and development relationships, improve gross margins, and continue to reduce costs."

Guess Cooking Mama must have done pretty well. It says that half of their console software sells for this quarter came from Cooking Mama and Bust a Move Bash.

Mrbob

It would be interesting if we got Cooking Mama DS figures. I remember when we used to get numbers before the NPD shutdown the game was consistently selling like 25-45K a month.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
My daughters drive the Wii purchases in my house and they have it. They like it, but then again, they are only 7. :lol

Awntawn

i find it kinda funny how feminists constantly rant and rave of their disapproval of the common housewife stereotypes, and all of those efforts are completely thrown straight out the window when the video game industry is successfully expanded towards women by releasing a game called cooking mama 3;

Ramenman

Awntawn said:
i find it kinda funny how feminists constantly rant and rave of their disapproval of the common housewife stereotypes, and all of those efforts are completely thrown straight out the window when the video game industry is successfully expanded towards women by releasing a game called cooking mama 3;

funny indeed :lol

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Awntawn said:

It's true, the entire feminist movement has now been thrown out. I don't know how we're going to fill all those job positions now that women are moving right back to the kitchen where they belong.

Majmun

I wished this thread was about Majesco's Psychonauts.

Now I know they'll NEVER make a sequel.

Cooking mama is seriously a game that I'll never touch. Seriosuly...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Second said:

Well, a Psychonauts sequel is a game I'd never touch... so to each his own.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Agent Icebeezy said:
My daughters drive the Wii purchases in my house and they have it. They like it, but then again, they are only 7. :lol
:lol they're 7, probably short too :lol

Second said:

This is the most important reply.

Majmun

djtiesto said:
Well, a Psychonauts sequel is a game I'd never touch... so to each his own.

So you'd rather play crap like Cooking Mama (sorry, but it is crap IMO) instead of Psychonauts?

Too each its own, I guess...

Then again, maybe they can fund Psychonauts 2 with all the money Cocking Mama is making. So there's still a chance for Psychonauts 2!!!
:''''''(

Rlan

Their upcoming release list looks pretty awful. Only half decent games could be Black & White DS/PSP, who knows HOW Operation: Vietnam will be. It's not like Majesco has a advertising budget.

Who knows, New York Crosswords might be a big hit.

andthebeatgoeson

Agent Icebeezy said:
If Cooking Mama gets you down about your daughter, here is something to pick you up:
In about 5 years, she'll become self-aware and post on this board. Then many gaffers will be posting 'a/s/l' and it's all because of Cooking Mama. I suggest you throw out the disk and steer her clear of gaming.

On the flip side: I'm not sure why GAF is against the non-game revolution. It'll steer more chicks toward this board. Unless the majority of GAF is GAYF.

Majmun

skinnyrattler said:
On the flip side: I'm not sure why GAF is against the non-game revolution. It'll steer more chicks toward this board. Unless the majority of GAF is GAYF.

I don't need chicks on this board. How about chicks in real life?

skinnyrattler said:
I'm not sure why GAF is against the non-game revolution.
Capitalism has a long history of quick knee jerk reactions, raping markets and leaving the carcass. Look at the farming industry in the US.
If publishers latch onto this then the limited talent in this industry may be directed at products for other people.
Big games we know and love will become even bigger risks.

Ultimately I think it will all go full circle, non gamers will grow up- their apetite for harder games will become stronger and they will have the skills to handle a game like Final Fantasy XII or Twilight Princess.

Depends if the non-game revolution kills the art of the truly great game or not.

Second said:
You won't get laid by owning a Wii alone. But I guess most have figured that out.
Sorry to change the subject somewhat but my DS is a freaking chick magnet. Personal self esteem -10 points

ToxicAdam

I've never heard of this Majesco lawsuit .. pretty interesting stuff.

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cach...html+Majesco+lawsuit&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

from 2006 said:
The ongoing drama in the upper echelons of Majesco management shows no signs of letting up.

After the publisher's fortunes took a nosedive last July, investors filed a handful of class-action lawsuits against it, claiming the company knew it wouldn't meet released earnings forecasts and that it flooded retail channels with unwanted products to artificially boost income projections. Majesco's financial woes piled up in the latter half of the year, it retreated from the premium game space, and just last month two of its board members resigned, saying it was their only option when Majesco CEO Morris Sutton threatened to walk out if "certain other members of the Sutton family" were fired from the company. Sutton's sons, Jesse and Joseph, are Majesco's president and executive vice president of research and development, respectively.

Now a group of Majesco shareholders, who represent nearly 11 percent ownership in the company, are threatening to sue the publisher, accusing Morris Sutton of ignoring his duty to the shareholders and running the company solely for the benefit of himself and his sons. In a filing last week with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the investor group Trinad Capital Master Fund Ltd. cites a number of factors contributing to its conclusion.

Beyond pointing to the company's rapid financial decline, the shareholder lawsuits, and the board members' resignations as evidence of mismanagement, the group notes that Jesse and Joseph Sutton are being paid inordinately high salaries considering the company's performance. Jesse was paid $550,000 for the fiscal year 2005, while Joseph earned $246,000.
"Jessie and Joey Sutton do little to further [Majesco's] business and strategic objectives and have been placed in such high-paying positions of management as a result of Morris Sutton's selfish desire to compensate his own children at the expense of [Majesco] and its shareholders," Trinad alleges, maintaining that the sons should resign or be removed from the company.

The group also says that in the same year, Majesco paid approximately $2.3 million to a printing and packaging company coowned by Morris Sutton's brother. What's more, the group says that on January 25, 2005, a day before the company's offering of 6 million shares of common stock, Jesse Sutton's father-in-law violated securities laws by filing a notice to sell more than $343,000 in stock.

Perhaps most unusual about the filing is its record of a pair of Trinad group's attempts to purchase large quantities of Majesco stock at prices well above market value. An offer made last October to purchase $7.5 million of shares at 20 percent above market value received no response from the company's board of directors, which the group called "a gross and blatant disregard of the interests of [Majesco] and its shareholders."

Despite that, the group made another offering last week, this time to purchase $3 million of shares at 27 percent above market value to remedy the publisher's liquidity issues and help it meet Nasdaq requirements to avoid Majesco stock's delisting from the exchange. There are some strings attached, however. Trinad wants to appoint a majority of the company's board of directors, and Majesco must decide on the offer by the end of business tomorrow.

"We are confident that our proposal is very generous, particularly considering the company's continued poor performance and current and deteriorating financial position," Trinad wrote in its offer letter to Majesco. "Time is clearly of the essence, as any further diminution in shareholder value is simply unacceptable."

By the way, Majesco DID NOT make Psychonauts. Doublefine did. Majesco just stepped in at the last minute and got it published. Doublefine still owns all the rights to Psychonauts.

Visualante said:
Big games we know and love will become even bigger risks.

Just the opposite, me thinks. Look at Hollywood summer blockbusters. They are so expensive now that noone is willing to create original scripts anymore, most just prefer to adapt pre-existing works to the big screen. Higher budgets and high production values might be good for established franchises but it will ultimately hurt the Katamari Damacys and the Okamis.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Honestly Majesco is not a powerhouse of video game development, so a 30% increase in there sales is basically like a 2% increase in another companies. Granted it's an increases and thats good, but making games for the Wii will not make your company survive in the next 5 years..., and unless Nintendo decides to release a Wii 2 in 2 years thats 100% backward compatible, and has a much improved graphics card the Wii is going to fade pretty quickly next year..

turk128

titiklabingapat said:
Just the opposite, me thinks. Look at Hollywood summer blockbusters. They are so expensive now that noone is willing to create original scripts anymore, most just prefer to adapt pre-existing works to the big screen. Higher budgets and high production values might be good for established franchises but it will ultimately hurt the Katamari Damacys and the Okamis.
Great comparison; easy to see and pretty much spot on.

Dorfdad said:
Honestly Majesco is not a powerhouse of video game development, so a 30% increase in there sales is basically like a .01% increase in another companies. Granted it's an increases and thats good, but making games for the Wii will not make your company survive in the next 5 years..., and unless Nintendo decides to release a Wii 2 in 2 years thats 100% backward compatible, and has a much improved graphics card the Wii is going to fade pretty quickly next year..

FIXED.

Majesco is INCREDIBLY TINY in revenues and to try and consider their success on the Wii in the same light as other publisher's is ludicrous.

That being said, I do think that publishers are going to embrace the Wii in a BIG BIG way. However, I don't think many of them have the right DNA to actually make games that will actually be good or appropriate uses of the platform. The industry has been so conditioned to the Playstation/Xbox crowd, that they can't just turn on a dime and convert their existing franchises to be we friendly.

EA, Take-Two, Konami, Namco, Capcom and the like are going to have a tough time finding their way.

Square, THQ, Activision, & Ubi seem to be much, much better positioned to ride this wave.

ksamedi

sonycowboy said:
FIXED.

Majesco is INCREDIBLY TINY in revenues and to try and consider their success on the Wii in the same light as other publisher's is ludicrous.

That being said, I do think that publishers are going to embrace the Wii in a BIG BIG way. However, I don't think many of them have the right DNA to actually make games that will actually be good or appropriate uses of the platform. The industry has been so conditioned to the Playstation/Xbox crowd, that they can't just turn on a dime and convert their existing franchises to be we friendly.

EA, Take-Two, Konami, Namco, Capcom and the like are going to have a tough time finding their way.

Square, THQ, Activision, & Ubi seem to be much, much better positioned to ride this wave.

Yeah, sometimes i cant help to think that US publishers mechanized there game development. Its like every game in rolling out of a factory and was programmed by machines. Probably the biggest reason of Wiis succes and if Majesco can get some creative thinking going on, then the Wii will save them.

C.T.

sonycowboy said:
FIXED.

really? Konami created two games around the Wiimote (Elebits, Dewys Adventure) and Capcom two as well. You couln't say Square and Co did.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:

I'd switch EA into the latter camp, though they're making quite the effort to do so, but I'd definitely agree overall. Namco Bandai's sort of a split, as half seems insanely well positioned for Wii and the other half seems unwilling to give up their PS360 focus. SEGA's going to bank on Wii as well.

Still, small publisher success stories like Atlus, Majesco, SNK Playmore or Tecmo shouldn't be discounted. These companies are doing really, really well with smaller scale, more niche Wii releases even this early on, and that diversity is really going to encourage more interest in the platform generally. That's actually one of the nicer balancing aspects of Wii, thanks to lowered costs and more wide open market with less legacy 3rd party prestiege games, the little guys have just as much potential to do well too.

PkunkFury

jarrod said:
SEGA's going to bank on Wii as well.

perhaps you should ask Scott Steinberg about that one

lol

Honestly Majesco is not a powerhouse of video game development, so a 30% increase in there sales is basically like a 2% increase in another companies. Granted it's an increases and thats good, but making games for the Wii will not make your company survive in the next 5 years..., and unless Nintendo decides to release a Wii 2 in 2 years thats 100% backward compatible, and has a much improved graphics card the Wii is going to fade pretty quickly next year..

You're right that Maejeso's succes does not automatically speak well for big publisher's success, but it can't be used as any sort of indication that big titles will fail on the Wii, either. If anything, it shows the potential for the market is there. What we are seeing is a better software market than Gamecube could have ever hoped to have, which is a great start for Nintendo.

What you can infer based off of Majesco's success is that other smaller publishers have an equally strong opportunity to make it big on the Wii. If Majesco's earnings indicate more small-scale developers moving to Wii, I don't see how that is a bad thing. Many people bought the Wii on the assumption that it would see new types of games that fit the controller. I think smaller devs with niche projects are in a much better position to satiate this market, than larger devs retrofitting old titles for the new controls.

C.T. said:
really? Konami created two games around the Wiimote (Elebits, Dewys Adventure) and Capcom two as well. You couln't say Square and Co did.

He's talking about the company culture and philosophy as a whole as a new era dawns and as waggle ramps up it's gutting and storming of the industry inside and out.

Konami and Capcom might have two games out/planned right now but on the large scale, they are still focused and betting big time on the 360 and PS3. They will probably fold their Wii support at the first signs of weakness but will most likely be forgiving to the PS3/360 development and be more willing to take those losses because to them, it's a sure thing.

Top Bottom