• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matty C: "Where's Nintendo's Metroid Prime 3 Hype?"

Threi

notag
agreed, wondering right now.

Then again SMG and SSBB seem to be getting a fair amount of attention so i wonder what is exclusively the problem with MP3?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Maybe Nintendo thinks they can get away with not advertising any of their big games since Zelda got away with it

grandjedi6 said:
Maybe Nintendo thinks they can get away with not advertising any of their big games since Zelda got away with it

I just don't think Nintendo cares about Metroid anymore.

NotWii

Banned
QuickKick89 said:
What if Nintendo only releases some minor ads for Prime 3, Galaxy, Brawl, and Mario Kart, all the while pimping the hell out of Brain Age 2 and Wii Fit?
This isn't a hypothetical statement, that's exactly what they'll do.

They let Zelda bomb.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Matt said:
Still, at this point, comparing the levels of hype between Halo 3 and Corruption would be like comparing an ocean to a swimming pool -- a sad truth when you consider that the Prime games have always been every bit as good as the Halo ones, if not better.

Well, this article isn't fanboyflamebait at all.

because of bigger games are comming out at the same time. Also, Metroid Prime 2 wasnt really good compared to Metroid Prime.

and plus, where the hell is Halo DS?

MrDaravon

They definetely need to get some hype going. During a slower time Metroid would stand on it's own, but it's coming at the beginning of a huuuuuge onslaught of games, and it's what, like a week after Bioshock? If it had come out like last month or something it'd be a different story, but as-is they need to get some damn ads out there.

Linkhero1

Don't you guys remember those old Wii commercials where the guys go to people's houses and play games with them. One of those games was Metroid Prime 3. I don't think they know when to advertise their products though. :lol

RiskyChris said:
I just don't think Nintendo cares about Metroid anymore.

Yeah, before this thread turns into a non games are killing Nintendo rant, this is the answer. Metroid is no where near the big seller it was 20 years ago and after Prime 2 sold poorly, I dont think Nintendo wants to put much effort into marketing for a game that will have trouble breaking a million either way.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Don't worry its not out in the UK for a month and in Australia for 2 months, we'll make up the sales then ok?

Nintendo just likes fucking everyone overs, except for Brain Training owners.

rakka

Goreomedy said:

5xdeotz

prime 2 kinda sucked though.

Firestorm

They explained this before I think. The masses need to be shown what there is to buy. Real games sell to people who should probably know about it already.

NotWii

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
They definetely need to get some hype going. During a slower time Metroid would stand on it's own, but it's coming at the beginning of a huuuuuge onslaught of games, and it's what, like a week after Bioshock? If it had come out like last month or something it'd be a different story, but as-is they need to get some damn ads out there.
They need to send a free Metroid Prime 3 demo to every Wii.
The only way Metroid Prime 3 will sell is if people can play it.

super funk said:
Yeah, before this thread turns into a non games are killing Nintendo rant, this is the answer. Metroid is no where near the big seller it was 20 years ago and after Prime 2 sold poorly, I dont think Nintendo wants to put much effort into marketing for a game that will have trouble breaking a million either way.
What baloney, Metroid would sell 4 million units if it were on Xbox.
Nintendo is solely to blame for not marketing Metroid properly.

rakka

Firestorm said:
They explained this before I think. The masses need to be shown what there is to buy. Real games sell to people who should probably know about it already.

The masses bought Halo, not a real game now?

Marketing will only help sales, all this "gamers will know what to buy" talk is bullshit.

.dmc

Banned
Someone want to dig up his blog entry when he complained Wii was doomed because he saw massive freeway billboards for PS3 + Nintendo weren't advertising anywhere?

Somnid

I'm in the camp that there's not a whole lot Nintendo could do. A million dollars for a few more sales, it's just not worth it. They know the demographic too well, the people buying Metroid know it's coming and the rest it's simply not going to appeal to. It's just not one of those games with universal appeal, most of use have come to accept this.

Tiktaalik

Nintendo has never been a strong advertiser of their games. Microsoft has had huge success with the Halo franchise in part because they understand advertising really well. When you have something with some hype, you spend lots and lots to hype it up even more and turn it into a massive event that gets coverage outside of regular gaming circles. Nintendo however assumes that their loyal fanbase will buy another iteration of one of their franchises and doesn't put the effort in.

NotWii

Banned
.dmc said:
Someone want to dig up his blog entry when he complained Wii was doomed because he saw massive freeway billboards for PS3 + Nintendo weren't advertising anywhere?
It would be dead last if there was no Wii Sports.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
super funk said:

Wow, that some fucking fantastic logic there. How long as Retro been working on Prime 3? A hell of a while. So Nintendo wont bother to advertise because it doesn't expect it to sell? Some pretty circular logic there. Maybe if they put some damn investment in advertising, the game would have potential for awesome sales. All hands on says that it pretty much has the best wiimote usage and experience theyve seen. Nintendo's apparent sabotage of the game is pretty disgusting.

rakka said:
And not partly thanks to the enormous effort put into its marketing?

Oh of course, I was simply making a joke. Halo is an example of a perfectly executed hype machine:

Good marketing
Very competent gameplay (lives up to the hype)

watership

matt said:
Still, at this point, comparing the levels of hype between Halo 3 and Corruption would be like comparing an ocean to a swimming pool -- a sad truth when you consider that the Prime games have always been every bit as good as the Halo ones, if not better.

Goreomedy said:

It's MATT from IGN right? Rabbid fan boys shouldn't be journalists. Gaf also seem to take what he says as gospel too. Weird.

KINGMOKU

Now that i'm thinking about it, I have no idea when Metroid Prime3 comes out. None.

I am a massive fan of the first two as well.

I'll hazard a guess before I look it up.

September15.

*edit-Wrongo I was.

Knox said:
bioshock.jpg

Found it.

Im not getting the message here. People actually think that Bioshock is going to destory Metroids hype?

slurpy said:
Wow, that some fucking fantastic logic there. How long as Retro been working on Prime 3? A hell of a while. So Nintendo wont bother to advertise because it doesn't expect it to sell? Some pretty circular logic there. Maybe if they put some damn investment in advertising, the game would have potential for awesome sales. All hands on says that it pretty much has the best wiimote usage and experience theyve seen.

Alright so then I am wrong. Since youre the genius, whats the rationale for the non existant advertising of this game?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Wii said:
What baloney, Metroid would sell 4 million units if it were on Xbox.
Nintendo is solely to blame for not marketing Metroid properly.

You're insane if you really believe that. The formula for the game simply doesn't have mass market appeal. It would need to tone down the exploration & backtracking and dramatically up the action to be a mass-market game. It's just not a mass-market game, regardless of whether it's a critical darling or not.

rakka

moku said:
Now that i'm thinking about it, I have no idea when Metroid Prime3 comes out. None.

I am a massive fan of the first two as well.

I'll hazard a guess before I look it up.

September15.

This month, 27th. And no one knows :p
Oh of course, I was simply making a joke. Halo is an example of a perfectly executed hype machine:

My bad, thought you were serious ;)

Bioshock = Metroid Killer

August NPD will be interesting.

YYZ

I'm not going to comment on Matt and get banned again (other people have already said enough), but I blame Wii Fit for this shennanigans.

Zozz

Banned
Even amongst the hardcore I barely see anything about it, I want to get the game but really nothing about has made me jump out of seat and say I need to get it. I like the Metroid series a lot but MP3 really isn't getting my attention enough and I know I'm not the only one

Top Bottom