• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q2 FY23/24 Earnings Report: Hardware 2.93M LTD 132.46M. Pikmin 4 at 2.61M

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's super misleading.

I wouldn't compare the Switch purely to the Wii U. You have to consider that they merged their console and handheld businesses.

It's still definitely a comeback given the 3DS performed significantly worse than the DS. But if you look at where Nintendo was with the DS and Wii... I wouldn't say tat they've definitely improved.

I think software is selling better than ever but hardware isn't. I think across the board that is the case.
It's not comparable at all.

You got both because you had a reason to buy a Wii AND a DS, they had completely different catalogs so you'd miss out on lots of Nintendo games by just getting one of the consoles.

If they shared same catalog and played the same, most people who bought both wouldn't give a shit about one or the other.

It's not comparable at all.

You got both because you had a reason to buy a Wii AND a DS, they had completely different catalogs so you'd miss out on lots of Nintendo games by just getting one of the consoles.

If they shared same catalog and played the same, most people who bought both wouldn't give a shit about one or the other.
That's kind of the point.

They were able to sell you two devices before, but now only 1.

Nintendo has throughout its history sold a handheld and a console, so while the Switch is extremely successful, it does come at a cost of the streamlining of its business.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Be honest. In your mind when you type hybrid in your mind you're thinking "handheld" arent you?. Go on admit it!

Switch has plenty of competition. Traditional consoles, PC, mobile games, handhelds (including those you can plug into a tv). Having a USP that no one has directly replicated doesn't mean you don't have competition.

Wii U was the only console with a second handheld screen that interacted with the main screen. Did it not have competition? Why did it only sell 13 million?

No, I'm thinking it can do both things, which is clearly critical to buyers. This leads right back to your wii u question, the reason it failed was that consumers would not support an underpowered console thst had no portable component. (Amoungst other reasons)

And as stated, switch has "entertainment" competition, but none that are in the same "sweet spot" that it is in. That being the only mainstream, fully AAA supported console thst is also portable. Just admit it, it has its own spot.

Nintendo are very conservative, 15 million hardware and 185 million software is lowballing. I think 16.5 million hardware and 205 million software is more realistic.

That’s what they’ll hit at a high mark, assuming the holiday goes as well as we all assume it will. But you always forecast low so you have no trouble hitting your goals.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Nintendo has throughout its history sold a handheld and a console, so while the Switch is extremely successful, it does come at a cost of the streamlining of its business.
I think they're actually avoiding costs, risk and are impulsing their chances by focusing only on Switch. I remember people like a couple years ago "deeply concerned" about Nintendo "not fulfilling their promise to focus on a single platform to avoid draughts".

Not only was it false and we see it today with Nintendo sitting on bangers until they see the right moment to release, but imagine if they were focusing on two consoles with modern features today... Non of them would sell as much as Switch as they wouldn't take care of both properly.

Fake

djXmDtB.jpg

Curious about putting Zelda Twilight there. Wonder if they gonna bring the Wii U remaster to the NS.

Woopah

I agree, I didn't expect such launch sales at all.
We just got confirmation in the presentation. Shipments were 990k but sell through was 1.9 million.
The fact that Nintendo don't need big 3rd party support and can reach numbers like this with only their own stuff is crazy. Combining handheld and home console was a genius move.
They don't need third party support to be successful, bit third parties have made a huge contribution to the software sales.

The graph in this thread really shows the improvement in third party support since 2017.
I would be surprised if it doesn’t cost more than the Oled model. My reason is due to inflation. Almost every company is raising prices.

Hope I’m wrong!!
It's $499 at the minimum I'd say

Mozza

Nintendo usually stop production of old hardware once the new successor is released. It all depends on how many Switch they manufacture before pulling the plug. Manufacturing line may not be able to support both Switch/Switch2 at same time.

140m would be too low, remember there is still this holiday left and then how much more Switch they expect to sell next year.

My guess is around 10-15m more to produce before end of life.
Well I think as long as it does not overtake the PS2, then there will at least be some sanity restored to some on here, but I have got all my fingers and toes crossed that it does become the top selling console of all time, the meltdowns on here and other forums would be epic.

Mozza

Well not really as the Wii U sold very poorly, and comparing any manufacturer to the lightning in a bottle generation of the Wii and DS, is just not fair. Plus you have to look at the software sales as well, the Switch has a pretty good software sales ratio, and of course the costs saved by not having to develop and manufacture two consoles, plus the marketing etc, and of course having to produce software for both.

You could also argue Nintendo are still producing two consoles, with the Switch and Switch light, as one leans more to being a dedicated handheld device.

Well not really as the Wii U sold very poorly, and comparing any manufacturer to the lightning in a bottle generation of the Wii and DS, is just not fair. Plus you have to look at the software sales as well, the Switch has a pretty good software sales ratio, and of course the costs saved by not having to develop and manufacture two consoles, plus the marketing etc, and of course having to produce software for both.

You could also argue Nintendo are still producing two consoles, with the Switch and Switch light, as one leans more to being a dedicated handheld device.

That's not really a solid argument. They're the same platform and if you separated the two and looked at them individually, you're going to see significantly less productivity out of the Switch lite as you did the standard handhelds in the past.

Wii U is an outlier as a failure for Nintendo. Throughout their history, they were the biggest player in both consoles and handheld, until the PlayStation hit the scene.

I think Nintendo also understands that just creating a more powerful switch may not be sufficient to get people to upgrade. You look at the switch and it sold 132 million units. Its best selling game is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with about 57 million units sold. The drop-off from there is pretty hard. You have Animal Crossing at 43 million and then Smash at 32 million (with Zelda close behind).

The thing about Animal Crossing and Mario Kart is that they don't really need graphical upgrades. You have the games and you're pretty content with them.

Nintendo has to prevent a 2DS to 3DS situation. The 3DS sold HALF what the DS sold. If Nintendo goes too expensive trying to get some market from Microsoft and Sony, they'll lose their primary audience. If they go too cheap it won't even be seen as a significant upgrade. And now that they're in this hybrid mode, they're caught in a hard place in terms of battery life vs graphical upgrade.

Hardensoul

Well I think as long as it does not overtake the PS2, then there will at least be some sanity restored to some on here, but I have got all my fingers and toes crossed that it does become the top selling console of all time, the meltdowns on here and other forums would be epic.
It’s going to be close, 132 is up to September thanks to Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 charts it’s possible Switch could sell around 7m more up to 3Q possibly getting Switch to around 139m.

Switch 4Q 2-3m? Possibly 142m before Switch 2 announcement after March. How many more Switch would Nintendo manufacture? Is the question! Or does Nintendo care about getting to PS2 155m.

As a fan I would love to see Switch pass PS2. But logical as business it doesn’t make sense when profits is concerned for the whole year! It’s why I think Switch will be short!

Tams

Here are some highlights

- Net sales up 21.2% and Net profit up 17.7% year over year (Q1+Q2)
- Net sales forecast to be 9% up and Net profit 23.5% up year over year for the entire fiscal year
- Software forecast increased to 185 million
- Nintendo want to bring more exposure to all of their characters
- Nintendo pleased with the growth of the Mario series
- Super Mario Bro's Wonder sold through 4.3 million after 2 weeks
- Pikmin 4 sold through 2.5 million
- Switch hardware has sold through over 130 million
- First party software sell-through is the second highest so far this fiscal year
- Zelda TotK sold through 17.6 million up from 15.7 million the previous quarter (1.9million sold through in Q2 versus only 0.99 million shipped).
-Twilight princess sold 7.50 million on Wii (previous report was 7.26 million over a decade ago)
- Nintendo pleased with the growth of the Zelda series
- Nintendo pleased with the incredible legs of their 1st party software
- Nintendo Pleased that Animal Crossing and Kirby sales are not so reliant on Japan anymore because the sell very well overseas.
- Kirby and the Forgotten land has now sold 6.96 million.
- Subscribers to Nintendo Switch online reach over 38 million
- Annual active users reach 117 million

MEbaflX.jpg

hJY8dd5.jpg

oaBpCZN.jpg

18MzVHh.jpg

9ICAli5.jpg

L06xPbH.jpg

yIDYCXA.jpg

w1UsuKJ.jpg

Q5scjli.jpg
djXmDtB.jpg
m0xR4pO.jpg

kfJoVsD.jpg

2jULKyg.jpg

IB7cNTb.jpg

4W5zGJV.jpg

xnYTWOI.jpg

apUDPef.jpg

hWjsnLX.jpg

Woof. Someone put their heart and soul into that slide deck. Even the faint background images are appropriately themed.

cireza

Great results. I really like my OLED Switch, a fine piece of hardware from Nintendo.

Last edited:

Mozza

It’s going to be close, 132 is up to September thanks to Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 charts it’s possible Switch could sell around 7m more up to 3Q possibly getting Switch to around 139m.

Switch 4Q 2-3m? Possibly 142m before Switch 2 announcement after March. How many more Switch would Nintendo manufacture? Is the question! Or does Nintendo care about getting to PS2 155m.

As a fan I would love to see Switch pass PS2. But logical as business it doesn’t make sense when profits is concerned for the whole year! It’s why I think Switch will be short!
A lot depends on the release of the Switch 2, it's still possible for an early 2025 release, so who knows.

Mozza

That's not really a solid argument. They're the same platform and if you separated the two and looked at them individually, you're going to see significantly less productivity out of the Switch lite as you did the standard handhelds in the past.

Wii U is an outlier as a failure for Nintendo. Throughout their history, they were the biggest player in both consoles and handheld, until the PlayStation hit the scene.

I think Nintendo also understands that just creating a more powerful switch may not be sufficient to get people to upgrade. You look at the switch and it sold 132 million units. Its best selling game is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with about 57 million units sold. The drop-off from there is pretty hard. You have Animal Crossing at 43 million and then Smash at 32 million (with Zelda close behind).

The thing about Animal Crossing and Mario Kart is that they don't really need graphical upgrades. You have the games and you're pretty content with them.

Nintendo has to prevent a 2DS to 3DS situation. The 3DS sold HALF what the DS sold. If Nintendo goes too expensive trying to get some market from Microsoft and Sony, they'll lose their primary audience. If they go too cheap it won't even be seen as a significant upgrade. And now that they're in this hybrid mode, they're caught in a hard place in terms of battery life vs graphical upgrade.
If you look at the software sales from the Switch, it's pretty clear that we are not seeing a Wii style drop off, so the transition should ne a lot smoother this time round.

If you look at the software sales from the Switch, it's pretty clear that we are not seeing a Wii style drop off, so the transition should ne a lot smoother this time round.

Now explain the drop off with the 3DS.

Can the Switch 2 for lack of a better name launch for more than 300 dollars? 350? Does that put it too close to the Ps5 in price?

At 300 dollars how powerful can it be?

I've learned my lesson about counting Nintendo out, but they have a tough road to replace the Switch and a mixed track record on successors.

Can the Switch 2 for lack of a better name launch for more than 300 dollars? 350? Does that put it too close to the Ps5 in price?

I've learned my lesson about counting Nintendo out, but they have a tough road to replace the Switch and a mixed track record on successors.
The PS5 is not a handheld… and is not going to have Mario Kart 9.

The PS5 is not a handheld… and is not going to have Mario Kart 9.

What in the world?

Mario Kart 7 released on 3DS, why didn't it sell as well as 2DS?

The Switch is successful because its price point allows it to flex between a console and handheld price point at 300 dollars. At 350 or 400 dollars the handheld aspects become really difficult to parse, especially if you're getting poor battery life and still not as technically advanced as PS5.

I think they're going to be in a pickle on price and horsepower advantage as well as battery.

350 is probably what they'll target, but that's probably 50 dollars too much. And I don't know how much tech they can cram into a 350-dollar Switch 2 that will make it worth an upgrade AND sell at a profit as Nintendo likes to do.

And if they release for 400... I think that's almost DOA in terms of reach Switch 1 sales numbers.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
What in the world?

Mario Kart 7 released on 3DS, why didn't it sell as well as 2DS?

The Switch is successful because its price point allows it to flex between a console and handheld price point at 300 dollars. At 350 or 400 dollars the handheld aspects become really difficult to parse, especially if you're getting poor battery life and still not as technically advanced as PS5.

I think they're going to be in a pickle on price and horsepower advantage as well as battery.

350 is probably what they'll target, but that's probably 50 dollars too much. And I don't know how much tech they can cram into a 350-dollar Switch 2 that will make it worth an upgrade AND sell at a profit as Nintendo likes to do.

And if they release for 400... I think that's almost DOA in terms of reach Switch 1 sales numbers.
I think consumers will be fine with 399. OLED is the same hardware just $50 and it's selling like warm cakes, not hot but very warm.

I think consumers will be fine with 399. OLED is the same hardware just $50 and it's selling like warm cakes, not hot but very warm.

400 dollars is a big jump from 300 dollars, especially when it comes to buying 2 for your household...

And the further they progress with the docked version the more gimped the pure handheld version will be.

Battery tech isn't keeping up with the demands of power, making it very difficult to produce a console-lite handheld that has any sort of battery life.

We're going to see if Nintendo can whip up a marvel to maintain this hybrid situation at a decent price point. Even at 400 dollars, does anyone see a massive upgrade happening that warrants you to give up your switch and buy this?

Do you think Sony could put out a portable PS4 for 400 dollars right now? I don't think they could.

Will the Switch 2 be more advanced than the ROG Ally with the Z1 Extreme? Because that's still not PS4 level.

Mozza

You are not comparing apples with apples, both the 3DS and Wii U suffered from the amount of casuals, that had bought their previous consoles, when the 3DS and Wii U came out, many had simply moved on, and even though the 3DS fared better, it was still miles away from the success of the original DS.

The Switch is currently in a totally different position, just look at it's software sales, not just the amount it has sold, but is still continuing to sell, very late into it's lifecycle.

Mozza

400 dollars is a big jump from 300 dollars, especially when it comes to buying 2 for your household...

And the further they progress with the docked version the more gimped the pure handheld version will be.

Battery tech isn't keeping up with the demands of power, making it very difficult to produce a console-lite handheld that has any sort of battery life.

We're going to see if Nintendo can whip up a marvel to maintain this hybrid situation at a decent price point. Even at 400 dollars, does anyone see a massive upgrade happening that warrants you to give up your switch and buy this?

Do you think Sony could put out a portable PS4 for 400 dollars right now? I don't think they could.

Will the Switch 2 be more advanced than the ROG Ally with the Z1 Extreme? Because that's still not PS4 level.
Well for one, nobody knows the price of the Switch successor, so that is pure speculation. Plus people will pay what they feel something is worth, I have been mystified for years why Apple products sell for so much, it's all down to what the consumer feels is right, many on here stated the original Switch would not sell at it's revealed price, look how that turned out.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned

Just curious, but why do you think 350 is too much? The Switch OLED is 350 and has been selling like crazy. I know that's no guarantee that their new console will sell as well, but yeah, just curious why that would be a hard limit in your eyes.

Personally I'm expecting the new Switch to cost €400. There's no way to keep up the 300 pricepoint with the crazy inflation of these past few years. And as long as they release a desirable product with a few heavy hitting games early on, I'm going to assume it'll sell like crazy at that pricepoint.

Last edited:

Hudo

Switch could've been a 200 million units console if they had made an F-Zero.

But on the serious side: How fucking crazy is it that Mario Kart 8 is still selling significant numbers? Holy shit.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Maybe Nintendo is not lowering the Switch’s price at this point to make the Switch 2 a better proposition. You can get the old OLED Switch for $349, OR… the fully backwards compatibile Switch 2 for $399. If their next console is indeed a Switch 2 maintaining the same basic concept of a hybrid system, the price would be less of a problem that if there was a $100+ gap with the previous Switch. The price gap with the DS undoubtedly contributed to the bad start of the 3DS. Nintendo want their next hardware to take off quickly so that 3rd parties are willing to develop for it.

Woopah

With the vast majority of Switch sales being the $350 OLED version (and up YoY), Switch 2 will be $399 at the minimum (possibly $449).

$399 would be a great and even above that Switch 2 should not be DOA, just like PS5 wasn't DOA even though it cost more than the PS4.

In terms of power, we can see from the Nvidia leak that Switch 2 will be between PS4 and PS5 in terms of raw power, but should have more effective AI upscaling and ray tracing than those platforms.

With the vast majority of Switch sales being the $350 OLED version (and up YoY), Switch 2 will be $399 at the minimum (possibly $449).

$399 would be a great and even above that Switch 2 should not be DOA, just like PS5 wasn't DOA even though it cost more than the PS4.

In terms of power, we can see from the Nvidia leak that Switch 2 will be between PS4 and PS5 in terms of raw power, but should have more effective AI upscaling and ray tracing than those platforms.

400 dollars means families who bought multiple switches are significantly less likely to do that again and they might not even deem an upgrade worth it at all.

That's 800 dollars for 2 switches plus games and tax...

Big difference between PS5 and Switch in terms of overall numbers is that people don't tend to buy multiple PS5s.

I'd would be very surprised if the Switch 2 comes out for ~only 400 dollars and is even moderately more powerful than the PS4.

Woopah

400 dollars means families who bought multiple switches are significantly less likely to do that again and they might not even deem an upgrade worth it at all.

That's 800 dollars for 2 switches plus games and tax...

Big difference between PS5 and Switch in terms of overall numbers is that people don't tend to buy multiple PS5s.

I'd would be very surprised if the Switch 2 comes out for ~only 400 dollars and is even moderately more powerful than the PS4.
It being more powerful than PS4 is guaranteed. A $399 price or higher is not guaranteed, but fairly likely I'd say.

For the first couple of years Nintendo can just sell one Switch 2 per household. When they want to sell more than one per house household, they can release the Switch 2 Lite.

It being more powerful than PS4 is guaranteed. A $399 price or higher is not guaranteed, but fairly likely I'd say.

For the first couple of years Nintendo can just sell one Switch 2 per household. When they want to sell more than one per house household, they can release the Switch 2 Lite.

You realize even more expensive gaming handhelds on the market aren't as powerful as a PS4 right? Those don't get profit from software sales, so they're higher margin, but still you look at the ROG Ally with the Z1 Extreme and even it isn't as powerful as a PS4.

Well for one, nobody knows the price of the Switch successor, so that is pure speculation. Plus people will pay what they feel something is worth, I have been mystified for years why Apple products sell for so much, it's all down to what the consumer feels is right, many on here stated the original Switch would not sell at it's revealed price, look how that turned out.

The question isn't whether they'll buy it but in what quantity they'll buy it.
Just curious, but why do you think 350 is too much? The Switch OLED is 350 and has been selling like crazy. I know that's no guarantee that their new console will sell as well, but yeah, just curious why that would be a hard limit in your eyes.

Personally I'm expecting the new Switch to cost €400. There's no way to keep up the 300 pricepoint with the crazy inflation of these past few years. And as long as they release a desirable product with a few heavy hitting games early on, I'm going to assume it'll sell like crazy at that pricepoint.
I think you just will really slow the adoption rate at 400. As I mentioned I don't think you get multiple buys within families at that price.

You can get a switch lite for 200 dollars. That's small money.

There are a mountain of problems people are ignoring with a high-powered handheld. Price and battery are huge factors.

OLED switch has up to 9 hours of battery. ROG Ally has like a max of 4 hours.

Woopah

You realize even more expensive gaming handhelds on the market aren't as powerful as a PS4 right? Those don't get profit from software sales, so they're higher margin, but still you look at the ROG Ally with the Z1 Extreme and even it isn't as powerful as a PS4.
Switch 2 will be a mass produced console and not a handheld PC. Games will be far more efficient/optimised and Nintendo will benefit from economies of scale. DLSS will also help Switch 2 punch above its weight, which the Ally and PS4 don't have.

Hardensoul

Switch 2 will be a mass produced console and not a handheld PC. Games will be far more efficient/optimised and Nintendo will benefit from economies of scale. DLSS will also help Switch 2 punch above its weight, which the Ally and PS4 don't have.
Agree, Nintendo would have better deals with their supply chain. Especially considering relationship history.

Hardensoul

Easier to get a good price when you're selling 15 million a year and not 2 million a year.
Being in manufacturing and development, I know that all too well. Initial price of new product is high and then goes down as cost of supply and streamlined of production gets better.

Celine

That's super misleading.

I wouldn't compare the Switch purely to the Wii U. You have to consider that they merged their console and handheld businesses.

It's still definitely a comeback given the 3DS performed significantly worse than the DS. But if you look at where Nintendo was with the DS and Wii... I wouldn't say tat they've definitely improved.

I think software is selling better than ever but hardware isn't. I think across the board that is the case.
DS and Wii combined have sold around 255 million units.
No single game system has ever come remotely close to that figure (that's because both are among the best selling consoles ever released).

On a whole Nintendo's business during the Switch era has topped the DS/Wii era, it's notably more profitable.

EFnNI5T.jpg

Last edited:
DS and Wii combined have sold around 255 million units.
No single game system has ever come remotely close to that figure (that's because both are among the best selling consoles ever released).

On a whole Nintendo's business during the Switch era has topped the DS/Wii era, it's notably more profitable.

EFnNI5T.jpg

One thing I wish I could get people to understand better is opportunity costs.

It's not a question of whether they're more profitable today than they were then. There are a lot of factors that go into profitability. Games are more expensive today so they generate more revenue. Gaming is also a much bigger business today, so more games are selling overall.

The question isn't is the Switch more profitable than the Wii and the DS. The question is whether the Switch is more profitable than the successful handheld and consoles that Nintendo could have today.

Before the release of the new system, Nintendo needs to take a very close look at the decline of the Xbox and ask themselves whether they want to take a shot at drastically increasing their revenues by having a console that competes directly with Sony and having a handheld that they sell separately.

I think they can even do a similar model to what they're doing with the Switch Lite if they don't want to divide their resources.

The biggest question is what allows you to sell as much software as possible and have the highest margin on individual hardware and creates the most royalties from 3rd party sales and MTX.

Switch could've been a 200 million units console if they had made an F-Zero.

But on the serious side: How fucking crazy is it that Mario Kart 8 is still selling significant numbers? Holy shit.
Mario Kart is basically video game racing now. I don't know of any surviving racing franchise which can compare for mainstream gaming.

Mozza

The question isn't whether they'll buy it but in what quantity they'll buy it.

I think you just will really slow the adoption rate at 400. As I mentioned I don't think you get multiple buys within families at that price.

You can get a switch lite for 200 dollars. That's small money.

There are a mountain of problems people are ignoring with a high-powered handheld. Price and battery are huge factors.

OLED switch has up to 9 hours of battery. ROG Ally has like a max of 4 hours.
Well they have bought the current Switch in huge numbers, despite the predictions of many, just before launch. Not sure what your argument is, as at the moment it's based on pure speculation, about the successors price, plus totally different scenarios with previous Nintendo generations, moving to new hardware.

Well they have bought the current Switch in huge numbers, despite the predictions of many, just before launch. Not sure what your argument is, as at the moment it's based on pure speculation, about the successors price, plus totally different scenarios with previous Nintendo generations, moving to new hardware.

yes they bought the switch in large numbers, does that mean they’ll upgrade in those same numbers?

Does the casual fan look to drop another 400 dollars for Mario kart 9 when they already have Mario kart 8. What exactly is the draw in the new Mario kart?

This has always been a problem for Nintendo.

Top Bottom