• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 23/24 Earnings Report: Hardware 3.91M LTD 129.53M, Zelda TotK 18.51M

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It comes from the Nintendo accounts themselves. They have a paragraph explaining it.

It's just a difference in how they recognise revenue vs. profit so not illegal.
I am talking about MS and Sony. Where does it say MS and Sony claim 100% revenue instead of the 30% cut on their financial earnings reports? That does not seem kosher.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Wikipedia says over 24mn were sold in Asia after 2007. I would have to think they found new markets. That it wasn't just Japan. I don't know tho.
Yea that's totally true afaik (a lot of sales outside of primary markets in final years) - developing markets were big for these consoles as they came down in price all the way to 99$ (and even lower for PSOne).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
By bunching Sony with MS and elevating Nintendo (even though they are third place in revenue every year), it minimizes how bad MS looks compared to PS/Nintendo. ;)

Revenue’s one thing, profits are another.

There’s no denying Sony and Microsoft spend way more than Nintendo does on services, game budgets, timed exclusives, etc.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I really doubt it. I feel ninetndo made a mistake with releasing mario wonder and totk for switch. I don't see anything coming close to those games.

A mistake for Nintendo would be only 20
Million units sold instead of thirty.

Zelda they could rerelease with some enhancements, and an added piece of content and sell millions.

They could master Wind Waker again and make a boatload.

They have so many monster, evergreen franchises that they can get by without a new Zelda or Mario at launch. Something like Smash Bros would easily be a killer app for them. Especially with their rabid fanbase.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned

Mario is a money printing machine. Zelda they could release with some enhancements, and an added piece of content and sell millions.
I'm just not sure what's the incentive of gonna be of picking up switch 2 but

Mario is a money printing machine. Zelda they could release with some enhancements, and an added piece of content and sell millions.
Well I was replying to the poster saying they will steam roll the competition with switch 2. with them releasing zelda and 2d mario which are now there biggest franchises, its not likely to happen they do good regardless though.

Last edited:
It's only for digital sales. Because if someone downloads a FIFA game on the PS Store, all the revenue goes to Sony first and then most of it gets sent to EA.
I don’t think this is true. Sony/MS gets 30% of the price and the publisher the other 70% simple as that.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It would be very very unlikely for Switch to finish the year up YoY hardware wise. Things are indeed slowing down.
They have had their best year in software, with that, it will continue drive hardware sales. Next quarter will likely surpass this one before they start to lose steam. The numbers show that their sales are picking up, rather than slowing down.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Well I was replying to the poster saying they will steam roll the competition with switch 2. with them releasing zelda and 2d mario which are now there biggest franchises, its not likely to happen they do good regardless though.

The incentive is to play Nintendo first party games.

Also, Zelda and Mario aren’t the biggest…

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 55.46m + 1.67m
Animal Crossing NH: 42.79m + 580k
Smash Bros Ultimate: 31.77m + 680k
Zelda BOTW: 30.65m + 840k
Super Mario Odyssey: 26.44m + 680k
Pokémon Sword/Shield: 25.92m + 100k
Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 22.66m + 560k
Super Mario Party: 19.39m + 250k
Zelda TOTK: 18.51m NEW
New Super Mario Bros. U DX: 16.17m + 760k

A new Smash is all they’d need.

zeldaring

Banned
TotK 3D. Exclusive 1st person mode. DLSS for 4K. Oh. The possibilities are there.
I think every one who a wanted totk would have picked it up, and remaster won't be a system seller imo. it's a massive single player that game that will burn most people out by the end of it.

zeldaring

Banned

the creator of smash said a new one wont be coming out for a long time. animal crossing won't coming near launch as well for switch 2 and that leaves mario kart which will probably cross gen IDK well see.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

I do think that launching with Animal Crossing + Metroid Prime 4 is gonna be huge. Than later that launch window a 3D mario.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

57qi1D.jpg

nordique

Crazy zelda sales only comparison is RDR2 and GTA5.

RDR2 23 million in 2 months.

GTA5 still in a league of it's own with 29 million in 6 weeks.

Although saying that has outsold Hogwarts Legacy yet🤔.Interesting to see how that plays out the rest of the year.

Yes, let’s downplay the success of one game on one platform by making a comparison that misses the point

Handel

I don't mean they won't be fine but i feel zelda is there biggest strongest ip in terms of moving consoles I think they will do great just wont be steam rolling playstation 5 sales.
Is your name zeldaring because Zelda lives rent free in your head?

Switched topped NPD for most of it's lifespan, it's successor is likely to be at the top for most months as well when it launches and has a new 3D Mario day one. Just something people are going to have to accept, all the while they cry about how it "doesn't count".

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

Switched topped NPD for most of it's lifespan, it's successor is likely to be at the top for most months as well when it launches and has a new 3D Mario day one. Just something people are going to have to accept, all the while they cry about how it "doesn't count".
there is a good chance Nintendo will fuck it up. They've done it before.

I would wait to see what is the Switch 2 before making predictions.

zeldaring

Banned

Yea wii did the same and wiiu failed bombed. not saying this will happen with switch 2 but predicting a generation to pan out just like the previous is hit ot miss especiallywith Nintendo. GTA6 might come out and blow everything away and give massive boost to current and take the spot light away from switch 2 many scenarios are possible

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I'll crawl in the dust once again admitting how wrong I was about this system. Looking back at GAF in early 2017 I wasn't alone, though. The system felt overpriced and unappealing to me at the time. I finally bought one and have 10-15 games for it, and it's fine. But not more than that. And then after traveling by car with my 5 year old son I get it.

Robb

Gold Member
They’re monstrous sales for sure, but Sony ain’t a slouch with SM selling 30M+ and other titles hitting high teens to 20M+
Feels like Sony is already there both in terms of unit sales and the fact that the games keep selling over time imo.

Next step would “just” be to keep those titles full price throughout I guess. And to make them for less than 1/3 of their current budget (both of which I hope don’t happen).

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo literally carries their own consoles, is this surprising? There’s no competition on switch lol
Agreed, but never to this extent. These figures are unprecedented.

They’re monstrous sales for sure, but Sony ain’t a slouch with SM selling 30M+ and other titles hitting high teens to 20M+
That’s true but the comment was that Sony and Microsoft can’t compete, and when you look at the sheer volume of 30m and 20m plus sellers on the Switch, with even their mid tier exclusives racking up 10m-15m sales, all at full price - I agree with the comment.

Hardware sales were actually better than the shipped numbers imply during this quarter. The sell-through of hardware was marginally higher than April to June 2021 (FY2022 below) even though the shipped (sell-in) numbers are 540k less (3.91m versus 4.45m), so the only reason shipments are not in the 4.5 million range this quarter must be because of excess stock from overshipping in previous quarters. Nintendo also states that the America's and Europe regions declined in shipments year over year but were up in sell-through.

DC08uZH.jpg

Last edited:
Where is this from? That does not even sound legal when it comes to earnings reports.

Why would they want to pay taxes on income not received?
Sony state it in their report that revenue includes 100% of third party digital sales and Playstation 4 and 5 currently have a very high ratio of digital to physical sales. It's revenue in name only though, they are only paying tax on their 30% cut.

Last edited:
Regional hardware

y2tAefQ.png

Regional software

t3Cbrkg.png

Hardware milestones: Japan passes 30 million and America's passes 50 million, Other passes 15 million and America's outshipped in a quarter for the first time ever.
Software milestones: highest ever global Q1, highest ever America's Q1 and highest ever Q1 and quarter in general by Other.

Last edited:

Woopah

Regional hardware

y2tAefQ.png

Regional software

DMLBG6A.png

Hardware milestones: Japan passes 30 million and America's passes 50 million, America's outshipped in a quarter for the first time ever.
Software milestones: highest ever global Q1, highest ever America's Q1 and highest ever Q1 and quarter in general by Other.
The Other software figure is shocking. TOTK must have been incredibly popular in the smaller markets.

The Other software figure is shocking. TOTK must have been incredibly popular in the smaller markets.
Agree, to have your best quarter for software outside the holiday quarter is exceptional. Having said that the Other region had it's previous best software quarter in Q4 which was when Pokemon Legends Arceus launched.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

Any particular reason Bayonetta, XBC, and Splatoon are all trailing behind their predecessors? Hell, even Legends Arceus just beneath BDSP is criminal.

Woopah

Agree, to have your best quarter for software outside the holiday quarter is exceptional. Having said that the Other region had it's previous best software quarter in Q4 which was when Pokemon Legends Arceus launched.
Could that may be because of China, which doesn't have the usual Q3 Christmas boost other countries have?
Any particular reason Bayonetta, XBC, and Splatoon are all trailing behind their predecessors? Hell, even Legends Arceus just beneath BDSP is criminal.
Mostly because of time. The others have been out longer and benefitted from Switch's peak years.

That’s true but the comment was that Sony and Microsoft can’t compete, and when you look at the sheer volume of 30m and 20m plus sellers on the Switch, with even their mid tier exclusives racking up 10m-15m sales, all at full price - I agree with the comment.

Having a significant number of 20+M sellers is competing pretty well, especially when those titles also have to compete with third party

It’s kinda like saying Nintendo can’t compete with Take2 just because GTA sells 100M and Nintendo has nothing close, kind of an irrelevant comment lacking context

Top Bottom