• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maximum Carnage

Speevy

Banned
This was a fun game that I owned back during the SNES days. I really enjoyed it, especially since it combined tried and true beat em' up mechanics with webslinging mechanics that are still used today.

Who else owned/played this?

Reilly

The red cartridge rocked.

Too bad the game was nearly impossible to beat.

Oh, and the Green Jelly intro also rocked.

I never beat the game, because I always chose Venom.

Also, some of those "every boss gangs up on you at once" fights could be really fucking brutal.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Genesis here... cool game, very tough.

I enjoyed the Maximum Carnage series as well. Why can't they make a Spider-Man movie featuring just Carnage/Venom?

I had the Genesis version. Game was ok but not a special beat-em up in any way. Most of the game's enemies were completely stupid. Like the boss that consisted of a guy fencing with an umbrella, girl's that whip you with their hair or all those stupid floating orb robots in the FF lab that punch you with a laser beam.

I also remember being very bothered that the game was only singleplayer when it was a beat-em up and had both Spiderman and Venom.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I got near the end, but never managed to beat it.
However, I used to love that game.

No_Style

Speevy said:
This was a fun game that I owned back during the SNES days. I really enjoyed it, especially since it combined tried and true beat em' up mechanics with webslinging mechanics that are still used today.

Who else owned/played this?

Great game. Separation Anxiety while allowed co-op was not as great.

Mojovonio

Banned
spidermanmaxcarnagetpb.jpg

I remember seeing this ad in Nintendo Power and promptly pinning it on my wall.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I loved this game.

I actually never got seperation anxiety, but beat a friends copy. I sent off for it with koolaide points and they sent me batman forever (yeah, the one that nearly bankrupt akklaim)... I was pissed and gave it away.

Then, about 6 months later I got all my koolaide points back. Evidentily their lawyers told them you cant substitute stuff that people send off for like that.

Bwa ha, I actually beat this damn game. Racked up enough extra lives/superhero helper attacks to brute force my way through to the end. I almost got killed when that asshole Carnage jumped out of the fountain during the credits, but I managed to survive that, too. This was an amazingly fun brawler and one of the better Spidey games.

Seperation Anxiety sucked ass, though.

I bought it because I was interested in the storyline in the comics at that time.

But the game disappointed me somewhat. The graphics were underdetailed, the animation was choppy, the enemies were questionable(girlscouts, what?) and redundant, and the play control was dodgy.

It was an average beat-em up by SNES standards.

I much preferred the Sega Arcade Spidey beat-em-up.

firex

I managed to beat Maximum Carnage, but only by cheating and using savestates on an emulator until I got through every level near-perfect. It really is insanity... before I could get pretty far, though. And despite playing as Venom being way cooler than Spidey, Spidey's the better fighter overall in the game. Although there are some branching paths you can take that make the game way easier.

I found Venom the better choice, except when fighting the Fantastic Four round robot things. His combos were shorter, leading to fewer interruptions, and his jump kick was absolutely sick.

firex

I guess there's not really a better fighter.. it's a lot like picking between Cody and Haggar in Final Fight. I just liked Spidey because his longer combos allowed me to stun 2-3 enemies all stacked up, but yeah, Venom was the big, short combo bruiser.

My favourite "not terribly useful but damn it looks good" move in any beat-em-up is in this game as well. Back+jump with Spidey and he does a backflip where he puts both boots to anyone right in front of him. Venom has a version too that isn't as effective but looks funny cuz his tongue is just hanging way the hell out for the move.

Jirotrom

Segata Sanshiro said:
My favourite "not terribly useful but damn it looks good" move in any beat-em-up is in this game as well. Back+jump with Spidey and he does a backflip where he puts both boots to anyone right in front of him. Venom has a version too that isn't as effective but looks funny cuz his tongue is just hanging way the hell out for the move.
man it was all about standing between to enemies with spidey and doing the web grab. And SHIT, in the end credits are you guys saying carnage pops out and you have to fight him again. This game was genius!

Played it loved it. In fact, for some reason, I still had the game long after I got rid of my Genesis. I put many hours into that just trying to get through. I do believe I beat, but I have no hard recollection of beating it, but I remember the soaring feeling while watching the credits.

Separation Anxiety was too easy. Not as good.

kurahadol

This game was great, so many hours put into this. I remember finally getting to Carnage and beating him, hands in air, victory was sweet as the credits rolled by. Credits ended, Carnage got back up and killed me as my hands were in the air. WTF IS THIS SHIT!?

I thought this thread was talking about total carnage always got that mixed up with maximum carnage, awesome graphics, you could play as spiderman and venom! nice cut scenes, one negative was how hard the game was to complete.

I had it on the Genesis, their paint the town red magazine ads and posters had me so excited when I was a kid. I did beat the game once, all I know is that it was a pain in the ass and the final Carnage was insane.

The only possible way you could see Carnage getting back up coming was if you read the comics and knew he was supposed to do that. And even knowing that, it still caught me off guard and the bugger got his free hit. Then he just went into his windmills again which means free punches for me.

kurahadol

Now that I look back, biggest drawback to this game was the lack of multiplayer. It probably would've toned down the difficulty quite a bit and made the game about a million times awesomer.

I remember the awesome Green Jelly 16-bit guitars and the very annoying bosses that smacked you back every time you hit them. And the bonus rooms with ridiculously obscure tricks to gain entry. Like, do a spinning kick in front of the ATM machine. WTF?

No 2 player mode, that also sucked. Inexcusable, really. Still, it was enjoyable.

Guy Legend

Mojovonio said:
spidermanmaxcarnagetpb.jpg

I remember seeing this ad in Nintendo Power and promptly pinning it on my wall.

I absolutely loved that ad. That and their ad for Mortal Kombat 2 caught my attention as 2 must have games.

I have both Maximum Carnage (red) and Seperation Anxiety for the Genesis. The first was fun, but the second was much improved due the inclusion of 2 players and overall not being so difficult to play.

Mark D

The song that plays during the intro/start-up is one of those riffs that has been perpetually stuck in my head. I'll just start humming it to myself every now and then for no apparent reason, and I don't even like it. Stupid Green Jelly.

Anyway, this was one of my most played SNES games since I was a huge comic book nerd. I could never beat the game though.

Dartastic

Yeah... I unfortunately never beat this game either. This game was probably one of my favorite Genesis games, but the fact that it was so damn hard really pissed me off. I think the furthest I got was Prospect Park (I think?) where you start to get some really really good assist characters. That game was so full of awesome, awesome attacks and secrets it was ridiculous. Anyone else remember performing a double smash on the first two girls/bosses in the game to get a one hit kill? So sweet.

Dartastic said:
Yeah... I unfortunately never beat this game either. This game was probably one of my favorite Genesis games, but the fact that it was so damn hard really pissed me off. I think the furthest I got was Prospect Park (I think?) where you start to get some really really good assist characters. That game was so full of awesome, awesome attacks and secrets it was ridiculous. Anyone else remember performing a double smash on the first two girls/bosses in the game to get a one hit kill? So sweet.
Yup, you get an extra life if you do it on the first shot. Crucial, sweet extra life.

TEJ

I got pretty far in maximum carnage, seperation anxiety was too easy. I beat seperation anxiety by myself on a rental.

I beat both Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety with a friend before Spider-Man 2 was about to be in theaters. I dont think I ever want to play those games again after that.

Top Bottom