• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Link To The Best: Final Fantasy 8/9. 7=bomba

Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg

Yes it's the best one and I don't care what you say. It had it all music(eyes on me, Julia, SeeD, Maybe I'm a lion, sorceress memorial) Gorgeous scenery, loving characters that left an impact(Irvine, Zell, Quistis*haha squall doesn't like you*, Squall, Rinoa, selphie, Laguna, Seifer and more!).

It's the only game where I've ever cried in and the only one I bought 5 times! FF7 remake!? No way. Give me 8/9 and we're set.

People may have complained about junction but it was a ridiculously easy system to use and added a lot of fun to battles. "I just drew what!?' The game was so simple yet had so much depth. Summons weren't just for show and leveling them up granted you new abilities which you could add to your character for some powerful and comedic abilities(Devour?).

Story: The story is one of the best I've seen in a RPG. Yes it's "save the girl, save the world" but it was executed beautifully. You had the Gardens concept, with SeeD. Anyone could take a look and say "Oh that's it huh?" but the metaphors and hidden elements needed a careful eye to really appreciate the game.

4zm5d0j.png

Interaction: Seeing the characters develop overtime with their feelings and moments was tear jerking. Squall being the main character shared a roughly decent amount of time with everyone else in the party and neither was shown to be greater than the other.

They got along like what most teenagers would in real life. They swore, fought and enjoyed each others company. The weren't static! Seeing Squall open up was really nice.
SnRembracescene.JPG

Battle System:
What to say? Not much new here. There were some nice elements such as Squall trigger and Zells combo list.
FF8War2.jpg

Remember me: Weapons Monthly. Is probably the coolest thing in the whole game, there wasn't some mystical lock on your characters. You could get whatever weapon you wanted as long as you had the magazine. You never felt cornered and it added depth to the weapons even if they were not numerous.
_____________________________--

Ffixbox.jpg

"Omg" was what I said when I picked this game up. The quality was great!

Story:
Once again typical scenario. However the way ti went about it was really unique, Zidance and co were to kidnap princess Garnet and at first it threw you for a loop. It wasn't until later that you realized that it was really under the order of Regent Cid. And from there on there were many twists and turns that just were "wow".

6gd2hk9.png

Interaction: This game brought it all back to basics. No longer was it set in a futurisitc world but the past. The characters were charming and returned to the well known "not quite proportionate" look of old unlike 8. But each character brought charm and importance to the story, even some of the most basic side characters would help you later in the game and talk about the past. Keeping you cemented in the world.

4kjg5s7.png

Battle System: Trance baby! trance! Was the new limit break and it brought with it a host of unique features for each character. Such as more turns, power or skills. Apart from that it was the same turn based combat.

MANWIT1.jpg
kuja04.jpg

Kuja, Zidane, garnet, Vivi etc all brought some great roles to the story. And for once we saw a glimpse of a strong female character with garnet literally cutting away from the past and taking on the challenges ahead boldly.

The art sense was drop dead gorgeous and brought the world to life.
1153843121.jpg

Remember me: Crossing those hills. Greatest Over world theme in the history of any game! Never forget it, if you haven't heard it. You owe yourself the favour. The ending especially was epic.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im sorry, I saw super goatse ass stretched pictures and stopped reading.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
As much as I played Final Fantasy 8 (And I played it to completion twice on playstation, and again on PC), it never quite had the same effect on me as FF7, the story annoyed me more than anything, and I ended up wanting to slap Squall half the time, and the Rinoa sorceress thing left me cold, still a great game though, and one that needs to be played if possible, I just think that FF7 was more of an epic that 8.

Never played FF9, the art style didn't appeal, and I haven't played a FF since, shame on me :(

I liked nine the most. I hated 8. Go to the third disc and stopped.

The thing about these games is that I can't remember them well enough to have a intelligent discussion. If you asked me why I didn't like 8 I'd probably say something about summoning and that Squall was a douche bag.

Flesh Into Gear said:
I liked nine the most. I hated 8. Go to the third disc and stopped.

The thing about these games is that I can't remember them well enough to have a intelligent discussion. If you asked me why I didn't like 8 I'd probably say something about summoning and that Squall was a douche bag.
:lol Really? I honestly think Squall is the best Final Fantasy character. I tried 10 but couldn't play it at all...went' and bought 8 and 9 again :)

Cheesemeister said:
Dare I say it? :lol
Say it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I wish you luck, Crush. This won't end well.

edit: DONT DO IT CHEESEY
You know. 7 was a great game in its own regard, no doubt about it. However...I just think 8 and 9 delivered a lot better.

I still enjoy 7 but I'd rather get a 8 remake.

Bring on the boiling oil!

msdstc said:
I agree about 8... but 9? not so much.
How so? 9 brought it all back. Granted I wasn't even old enough to play games when the first ones came out(I think) but it was a great break from 7/8.

They're all pretty distinct and different. Really the only major edge FF8 and FF9 have apart from graphics is that they USE THE GODDAMN ANALOG STICK WHY ISN'T THERE A DUAL SHOCK VERSION OF FF7

I appreciate 7-9 much more after playing ff10-12. The series has largely diverted from what I used to love about it.

I still gobble up the remakes/ports and will likely pick up XIII day one, but the series doesn't mean close to the same to me as it used to.

Oh, and FFIX soundtrack is awesome. FFVIII is slightly less so. FFVII...ugh...there's a few good tunes, but it was a huge disappointment after VI.

sh4mike

Eight sucked. Draw system sucked. Squall sucked. Romantic spaceship adventure sucked. FMV with her dying and Squall crying made me laugh. Gunblade fluffy coat pussy.

FF6 is Godly.

Fady K

You know what FFVIII had for its time in my opinion that rocked, the graphics. And whats amazing till this day, the soundtrack. One of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. Also, the gameplay was really cool.

But Im one of those "noobs" that loves FFVII a whole lot more. Especially when it comes to story. Im sure many people liked 8s story. But, in my opinion, i thought the love theme which was the main theme behind the game, was almost as bad as the love tales of the movies with Lindsay Lohan. And Squall sucked
ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
. He was alright in Kingdom Hearts though! And I didnt like the rest of the characters much either. It felt like they all came out of a high school soap opera. Just my opinion.

Second said:
FF fans are like the only fans out there who love and troll their franchise.

Are you kidding? If I have to read another Metroid 2D vs. Prime, Wind Waker vs. Twilight Princess, or OMG NSMB SUCKED thread I might throw up. It seems like all people do around here is troll their favorite franchises sometimes.

And no I'm not trying to single out ninfans, those examples just came immediately to mind.

echoshifting said:
Are you kidding? If I have to read another Metroid 2D vs. Prime, Wind Waker vs. Twilight Princess, or OMG NSMB SUCKED thread I might throw up. It seems like all people do around here is troll their favorite franchises sometimes.

And no I'm not trying to single out ninfans, those examples just came immediately to mind.
:lol

I just want them to get this FF7 remake over with so they can move onto 8/9.

I in general dislike where the series has gone so far. And 13 looks to be nothing short of "interesting".

GhaleonQ

I'll limit my comments to this: I am utterly baffled by anyone who insists that IX didn't have the best Playstation 1 Final Fantasy soundtrack.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Cheesemeister said:
Dare I say it? :lol

Well, you have 5 days until the next MC thread, I can't see what harm it'll do. :lol

Also, any lurking mod, CrushDance's tag doesn't need to be censor avoided any more, (Unless if the ! is for effect :p)

CrushDance said:
Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg

Yes it's the best one and I don't care what you say. It had it all music(eyes on me, Julia, SeeD, Maybe I'm a lion, sorceress memorial) Gorgeous scenery, loving characters that left an impact(Irvine, Zell, Quistis*haha squall doesn't like you*, Squall, Rinoa, selphie, Laguna, Seifer and more!).

It's the only game where I've ever cried in and the only one I bought 5 times! FF7 remake!? No way. Give me 8/9 and we're set.

People may have complained about junction but it was a ridiculously easy system to use and added a lot of fun to battles. "I just drew what!?' The game was so simple yet had so much depth. Summons weren't just for show and leveling them up granted you new abilities which you could add to your character for some powerful and comedic abilities(Devour?).

Story:The story is one of the best I've seen in a RPG. Yes it's "save the girl, save the world" but it was executed beautifully. You had the Gardens concept, with SeeD. Anyone could take a look and say "Oh that's it huh?" but the metaphors and hidden elements needed a careful eye to really appreciate the game.

4zm5d0j.png

Interaction Seeing the characters develop overtime with their feelings and moments was tear jerking. Squall being the main character shared a roughly decent amount of time with everyone else in the party and neither was shown to be greater than the other.

They got along like what most teenagers would in real life. They swore, fought and enjoyed each others company. The weren't static! Seeing Squall open up was really nice.
SnRembracescene.JPG

Battle System: What to say? Not much new here. There were some nice elements such as Squall trigger and Zells combo list.
FF8War2.jpg

Remember me: Weapons Monthly. Is probably the coolest thing in the whole game, there wasn't some mystical lock on your characters. You could get whatever weapon you wanted as long as you had the magazine. You never felt cornered and it added depth to the weapons even if they were not numerous.
_____________________________--

OMG NO NO NO!!! WORST RPG EVER MADE!!!!!!! Completely broken through and through and features the worst character development in any RPG ever. The characters weren't even 2D they we're 1D! (Sephie's entire characterisation consisted of a single line "I like trains" other than that, there is no character development for her whatsoever!)

And Squall is the worst protagonist in any game ever!

Ffixbox.jpg

"Omg" was what I said when I picked this game up. The quality was great!

Story: Once again typical scenario. However the way ti went about it was really unique, Zidance and co were to kidnap princess Garnet and at first it threw you for a loop. It wasn't until later that you realized that it was really under the order of Regent Cid. And from there on there were many twists and turns that just were "wow".

6gd2hk9.png

Interaction: This game brought it all back to basics. No longer was it set in a futurisitc world but the past. The characters were charming and returned to the well known "not quite proportionate" look of old unlike 8. But each character brought charm and importance to the story, even some of the most basic side characters would help you later in the game and talk about the past. Keeping you cemented in the world.

4kjg5s7.png

Battle System:Trance baby! trance! Was the new limit break and it brought with it a host of unique features for each character. Such as more turns, power or skills. Apart from that it was the same turn based combat.

MANWIT1.jpg
kuja04.jpg

Kuja, Zidane, garnet, Vivi etc all brought some great roles to the story. And for once we saw a glimpse of a strong female character with garnet literally cutting away from the past and taking on the challenges ahead boldly.

The art sense was drop dead gorgeous and brought the world to life.
1153843121.jpg

Remember me: Crossing those hills. Greatest Over world theme in the history of any game! Never forget it, if you haven't heard it. You owe yourself the favour. The ending especially was epic.

OMG YES!, FF9 is awesome, but still nowhere near as good as FF1-6

I'd rather cut my own testicles off then play FF8 again!

Nuclear Muffin said:
OMG YES!, FF9 is awesome, but still nowhere near as good as FF1-6

Really, you really think FF9 is 'nowhere near' as good as any of the original 6 entries in the series? FF1? FFII? And yet it still qualifies as awesome? Are the NES entries 'mega-awesome?'

Also please remove quote of giant original post.

Nuclear Muffin stealth edit! said:
I'd rather cut my own testicles off then play FF8 again!

:lol :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, since we're going to do it, FF8 > FF9.

FF8's OST is probably the best in the series.

Although I have my reservations about FF8, you can't deny the story and it's development. Personally I thought it would have done better as a movie.

But go FF9!!!

echoshifting said:
I think he's saying he liked FFX-2

I did =/
Rofl. That game was horrendous(whorrendous). Worst game I've ever played. they were literally dancing the entire time >.<

donkey show said:
Although I have my reservations about FF8, you can't deny the story and it's development. Personally I thought it would have done better as a movie.

But go FF9!!!
Spirits within?:lol

tehbear

FF10 = FF6 > FF12 > FF4 > >>>>>>>>> FF7 > FF8 >>>>>>> FF9

I would put FF11 in that list but I've offended enough people already with probably the most messed up list ever :lol

Oh whoops I forgot how much FF2 blew chunks, FF9 is definately better than FF2 but FF8 is still the worst by far (Yes even worse than Mystic Quest!)

Top Bottom